Stopped by the Coasties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.

It should be noted that anyone born prior to Jan. 1, 1955 is exempt from the requirement to carry the Washington State Boater Education card.

Cheers, Vic

I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.

The US Coast Guard doesn't enforce State regulations. There is no US Federal Requirement to take a Safe Boating Course, that is dictated by the states.

The state of my vessel registration requires a CO detector, the USCG does not. The last time I was boarded, they asked to see smoke detector. I asked if you wanted to see and test my CO detector as well. Reply "I don't care about CO detectors".

CG inspections are about safety. (Placards and PFD's). The Auxiliary sticker is great to let you know of any surprises BEFORE you get boarded, but they are not a 'get out of jail free' card. Probably why they had one poster hold up his PFD's. They assumed they good on placards and smoke detector, so as long as PFD's are 'readily accessible' no need to board.

That is at the discretion of the ranking officer at the time.

CG boarding's are straightforward. Make sure PFD's and throw-able are on hand. Make sure you're PFD's aren't ripped, badly faded and in particular you can read the print on them. Smoke detector test works and batteries are new. Be friendly and it'll be a nice exchange with a good bunch of people.

Proof of citizenship based on type of ID?

Are smoke detectors required by the USCG on our recreational vessels? I have a CO2 detector but no smoke one. Since I am heading this summer into areas where boarding may be likely, would like to know the answer. Can't find any info in short search of the CFR but did find this article indicating they are not required:Smoke Detectors | | PassageMaker

Probably should have a smoke one in any case.

Are smoke detectors required by the USCG on our recreational vessels? I have a CO2 detector but no smoke one. Since I am heading this summer into areas where boarding may be likely, would like to know the answer. Can't find any info in short search of the CFR but did find this article indicating they are not required:Smoke Detectors | | PassageMaker

Probably should have a smoke one in any case.

I don't recall a requirement for smoke detectors as well. I have a fire suppression system in the ER, but no free standing smoke detectors.

No to both detectors I believe.
But both good ideas for pretty cheap.

Last edited:
It should be noted that anyone born prior to Jan. 1, 1955 is exempt from the requirement to carry the Washington State Boater Education card.
I think if you read up on the WA phase in program 79A.60.630(2)(a) it looks like after Jan 1, 2016 there are no age exemptions in WA.

Last edited:
Yeah, the RCWs (Revised Code of Washington) are notoriously convoluted. RCW 79A.60.640 gives the exemptions.

Agree...the RCWs can be hard to interpret....I try to avoid them.

While redundant, I actually did get a card a couple of years ago, via the online exam, just to see what it covered (minimally adequate). What wasn't covered were things like the morons in ski boats causing massive wakes adjacent to marinas, inside the no wake signs....grumble.

Vic

Back
Top Bottom