Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 AM   #21
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I've been boarded by the USCG twice. The best "flu shot" I have is my son's hat off the USCG Cutter Adelie out of Port Angeles. He was on a boarding party doing the same thing. The first time, we took pictures of the event and they gladly posed. They asked where we going and our response was skiing, to which one of them asked where. We showed him on the chart and he mentioned he grew up in Valdez and heard there was good skiing on the island where we were headed.

The last time was when we were the only boat around. We heaved to, the boarding officer out of Juneau came on board. I noticed he wasn't wearing a life jacket. I asked one of the Seamen if he was supposed to be wearing a life jacket. He just smiled and looked the other way. The boarding officer said he would but after snagging the inflation tag in an engine room, he gave up the practice. Then he asked if I had firearms. I said on the bridge and we went there, showed him where it was. When he couldn't figure out how to unload it, I helped him. All and all good experiences on both.

They are young men sent on a mission. Give them and chance, but make it pleasant for all involved.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Today as we proceeded north through Maryland, we were flagged down by a USCG patrol boat. They said that they wanted to perform a boat safety inspection. I said that we were recently inspected by the CG Auxilliary and that the sticker was on the forward window. They pulled their boat forward to check it out. They asked how many people were aboard and I told them my wife and myself. They asked me to please hold up 2 adult life jackets which I did. They thanked me and wished me a good day. Never boarded us.

Proof positive for the voluntary inspection by the USCG Auxilliary.
My experience was the opposite. I was boarded entering Hampton, VA last June. They called me on the radio and told me to prepare to be boarded. I told them about my "sticker" and they politely told me that they didn't give a rat's ass about the sticker, they were going to board my boat. When someone has a machine gun mounted on the front of their boat, that takes away most of your options.

They were not unpleasant or unreasonable but it was good that my wife was on board to show them the documents, PFDs, etc. because someone had to drive the boat and keep it inside the channel.

One thing I don't understand though. Why do you need a photo ID to drive or even ride on a boat but not to vote for President in some states?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #23

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Two years ago on the way home to Maryland after purchasing our boat in Florida we were boarded by the CG in St. Simon's Sound on a murky and drizzly day. The radar did not work on this boat and we were piloting from the lower helm which affords us no stern view. They came up to our stern undetected. They hailed us via VHF and ordered us to heave to. They instructed us to keep the boat at idle speed and to hold course which we did with the autopilot as we were in a wide-open sound all alone.

There were five in the boarding party, a senior enlisted in command. Although I could not tell for certain, the others were inexperienced CGs. I think they were "in training". In any case, the inspection was non-eventful. They inspected the engine room, looked for those non-nonsensical required placards, asked to see our copy of Chart 1, etc. It was all handled quite professionally.

What I found curious was that they required identification for only me, the captain, although I still don't know how they would know for certain just who was the captain. I suppose anyone on the boat could step forward and present her or himself as being the captain.

The senior enlisted had with him an electronic device in which he entered information about the boat and me (driver's license) and the results of the inspection. At the end a paper report was printed on thermal paper for me to retain in the event of another CG boarding although I was told that it wasn't necessarily a "get-out-of-jail-free" card.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #24

City: South Florida
Down here in South Florida where there are about a dozen agencies that can board you, I'll take the USCG any day. They are always polite and professional.

Keysdisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We have never had a bad experience when boarded. The USCG though is the only one that does a safety inspection though. All the others are right up front about there intentions; are you there legally and are not smuggling anything. A few times we haven't been boarded, just some questions via the vhf but all good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartagena 006.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	51140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curacao 008 (2).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	51141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 184.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	51142   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	51143   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	51144  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000623.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	51145  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #26
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Why do you need a photo ID to drive or even ride on a boat but not to vote for President in some states?
The first part of that is a serious question. Is there a law that requires you to carry identification when operating a boat? I always do, but I don't recall ever seeing a law that says I need to.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The first part of that is a serious question. Is there a law that requires you to carry identification when operating a boat? I always do, but I don't recall ever seeing a law that says I need to.
I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #28
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hi Dave,
Could you expound on this form? What does it entail?

Quote:
law that says I need to.I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.

Dave
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Hi Dave,
Could you expound on this form? What does it entail?
boat.wa.gov - Boating Safety and Education

There are free online courses that you can do that meet the requirements for WA. I think BoatUS offers one. It does cost $10 from the State to get the card.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My question was not about a boating safety certificate, it was about a photo ID. Proof that I was who I claimed to be. I was asking why this was important for operating a boat but not for voting in national elections.

BTW: The officer asked me if I had any weapons on board (I don't, other than kitchen knives) but not at the beginning of the boarding, he asked at the end. That seemed a bit peculiar.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.
It should be noted that anyone born prior to Jan. 1, 1955 is exempt from the requirement to carry the Washington State Boater Education card.

Cheers, Vic
Old 04-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #32

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
The US Coast Guard doesn't enforce State regulations. There is no US Federal Requirement to take a Safe Boating Course, that is dictated by the states.

The state of my vessel registration requires a CO detector, the USCG does not. The last time I was boarded, they asked to see smoke detector. I asked if you wanted to see and test my CO detector as well. Reply "I don't care about CO detectors".

CG inspections are about safety. (Placards and PFD's). The Auxiliary sticker is great to let you know of any surprises BEFORE you get boarded, but they are not a 'get out of jail free' card. Probably why they had one poster hold up his PFD's. They assumed they good on placards and smoke detector, so as long as PFD's are 'readily accessible' no need to board.

That is at the discretion of the ranking officer at the time.

CG boarding's are straightforward. Make sure PFD's and throw-able are on hand. Make sure you're PFD's aren't ripped, badly faded and in particular you can read the print on them. Smoke detector test works and batteries are new. Be friendly and it'll be a nice exchange with a good bunch of people.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
Guru

I have been boarded twice by the USCG and was never asked for ID.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Proof of citizenship based on type of ID?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Are smoke detectors required by the USCG on our recreational vessels? I have a CO2 detector but no smoke one. Since I am heading this summer into areas where boarding may be likely, would like to know the answer. Can't find any info in short search of the CFR but did find this article indicating they are not required:Smoke Detectors | | PassageMaker

Probably should have a smoke one in any case.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Are smoke detectors required by the USCG on our recreational vessels? I have a CO2 detector but no smoke one. Since I am heading this summer into areas where boarding may be likely, would like to know the answer. Can't find any info in short search of the CFR but did find this article indicating they are not required:Smoke Detectors | | PassageMaker

Probably should have a smoke one in any case.
I don't recall a requirement for smoke detectors as well. I have a fire suppression system in the ER, but no free standing smoke detectors.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
No to both detectors I believe.
But both good ideas for pretty cheap.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No to both detectors I believe.
But both good ideas for pretty cheap.
No argument.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHASA III View Post
It should be noted that anyone born prior to Jan. 1, 1955 is exempt from the requirement to carry the Washington State Boater Education card.
I think if you read up on the WA phase in program 79A.60.630(2)(a) it looks like after Jan 1, 2016 there are no age exemptions in WA.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I think if you read up on the WA phase in program 79A.60.630(2)(a) it looks like after Jan 1, 2016 there are no age exemptions in WA.
I did read up...

Anyone born before January 1, 1955 is exempt from needing to carry a Boater Education Card.

Here's the link: boat.wa.gov - Boating Safety and Education

Cheers