Stirling Gensets for Boats - the way forward?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dw8928

Vessel Name
Silver
Vessel Make
Helmsman 31

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.36.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.36.29 PM.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Bad link for me.

So what is supposed to supply all the source heat on a boat when you're on the hook?

That's well and good - but what? The external combustion engine most are familiar with is the good old steam engine. Those needed a firebox.

What's the "firebox" for this rug?

Yes, pretty critical piece for "the way forward" to be missing.

As a supplementary use of waste engine heat.

Ok, I know we are in the age of "fake news and no trust" but before we Poo Poo it, how does it work and has it yet been deployed in real life marine applications?

It is intriguing! Could hot engine exhaust gas from small genset be amped up with this?

How it works according to them:
Using a highly efficient thermodynamic process, Qnergy’s free-piston Stirling engine (FPSE) generator can create electricity from virtually any heat source. The heat input creates a temperature differential across the engine causing the helium inside the engine to expand and contract, which in turn drives a linear reciprocating motion of the piston. The FPSE directly converts the reciprocating motion of the piston into electrical power via the integral linear alternator.

The Qnergy engine has fewer moving parts than traditional kinematic Stirling engines, and no direct-contact points that cause wear and require lubrication. Thus, the Qnergy engine is truly a maintenance-free technology that offers long-life performance, two key features that make it an ideal power source.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. S. I'm not poo-pooing it as such but as has been mentioned, you NEED a heat source. Using the residual heat from a shut down engine is great until the engine cools and if placed in the exhaust of a running engine, again you only have power until things are shut off and cool down. So if you're running a genny, for example, why use this device? Redundancy?

I understand the "amped up" idea you're suggesting but if your small generator produces X watts even if this device extracts every joule of heat from said genny, you will never get more than the same X watts out of it.

The Sterling engine only works well when there is a big difference in temps between the high side and the low side. Could work on engine exhaust, certainly. But so works also an alternator driven by a belt from the engine.

I would venture (without doing the math) that the alternator would win the efficiency and life cycle cost argument.

There are a bunch of reasons why Sterling engines are not popular in energy conversion.

Thanks guys! Sorry for being a little snarky, my older brother always tried to throw cold water on any new idea or technology that someone advanced. Guess it makes me push back on the quick negative, as I was always the one who liked the new ideas, 8 track tape player, Cassette player, CD player, iPod, iPhone, Solar, Netflix, AIS, etc (he still uses a flip-phone...go figure).

So still curious as to what it cost and has anyone seen an example of it playing a useful role in a marine application?

Just wonder if it could produce enough power to run an AC while underway with waste heat from a main engine?

Thanks to the OP for posting it, like I said, (love the new ideas) many do actually work... we use the waste heat from our central air system to heat our hot [emoji97] water at our dirt house. Also use the shower water to flush the toilets (cut our water/sewer bill in half :)

Here is my last months power bill

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 58
Yep that bleeding edge can be sharp :cool:

Saw a genuine 100-year-old antique one too, so maybe they would have caught on by now?

They have caught on. See Swedish Gottland class submarines. AIP with Saab Sterling generator for submerged battery charging. It took an 8' hull extension to house 100 hp Sterling generator on the prototype. It's a matter of application.

Fires on diesel & LOX. Has MTUs for surface/snorkel main propulsion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom