Stinkpots??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't people live in Maine in the 1700s and 1800s with coal for heat? Or wood fireplaces? What about them in the winter? Want to go back to that?

Yes and many of us still prefer wood heat. My primary heat source is a wood stove. It heats the house very nicely. Our wood stove is very clean and has a catalytic reburner to further clean up exhaust gasses. We burn wood cut on our property. Of course it doesn't get very cold here (seldom below -5F), so you don't need to make heroic efforts to heat the house. It helps that my house has decent insulation. Yes the house does have propane fired radiant in floor heat, but we only use it when we are going to be away from the house. Our air conditioning is called windows.

Last edited:
At 23, when I learned how to sail in the SF Bay that was the name of every powerboat that came by according to my then boating mentor. It took him passing away and me at the age of 57 before I could go buy my own “stinkpot”.

I think of him everyday I am on the boat.

And just how many batteries would that take, for say two 12,000 btu units, and where would you put these batteries?

15-20 kilowatts of lithium iron phosphate batteries would do the job. Most of them could go where you used to keep the generator and its fuel tank. They can be charged at very high rates so adding a couple of high output alternators to your mains would let you recharge while underway.

Yes no A/C needed and I wouldn't live or boat any where where it got that hot. You will never see me in the south. And yes I have lived in the south and it was miserable.

It wasn't miserable when you lived in the South, it was miserable for YOU. Everyone has their differences.

I've never lived in New England, but I've spent some time there, A company I've worked for for 13 years is based in Boston. It is a lovely area of the country that I enjoy visiting and we have some very close friends who live up there. When we retire in a few years the first big trip I want to do is to take our boat up the east coast to New England. Would I like to live there? No, I would not. It's too darn cold and the seasons to do the things I like to do are just too short for ME. That doesn't mean that it is miserable there.

I'm in the outdoor industry, so I've been exposed to skiing and snowboarding my whole career, I don't particularly enjoy those sports, though many of my friends live for it, and that's great for them. I like a certain type of saltwater fishing, at night I often dream of tailing bonefish. I was a guide for tarpon on fly for 13 years, many of my customers paid tens of thousands of dollars to come down from the NE and the western US to do the type of fishing that I get to do every week. Bluefish are generally considered the second most desirable game fish in NE behind Striped Bass. In Florida they are a trash fish that no one bothers to target and most people won't eat.

I'm glad you love where you live, it's a nice place, but that doesn't give you some sort of moral or intellectual superiority over people who like and choose other places.

Bluefish are generally considered the second most desirable game fish in NE behind Striped Bass. In Florida they are a trash fish that no one bothers to target and most people won't eat.

I don't think that desire extends to the Chesapeake. Common recipe for blues seems always to "slather with mayonnaise." (Eat the mayo, toss the fish) :)

Believe it or not bluefish in Florida and bluefish up north in Yankeeland are not the same. They do not taste the same and do not have the same texture for cooking. And you darn sure don't want to eat the big chopper blues if you are a fan of game type fish that swims in the gulf stream. But they do make the best smoked fish and smoke fish dip right behind the mullet, which most fancier folks consider to be bait fish.
And as it relates to stinkpots, well some people look for something to complain about almost every day. Ignore them and move along.

Last edited:
I don’t run my gen late, Spend a lot of time making it nearly silent too with water separating muffler and water lift muffler.

For the haters who just want to complain about powerboats in general, I carry a box of split rings. Toss a couple up on their deck and when they find them it’s good for a few hours of entertainment. I like to come by and help when the search gets underway. Have you checked up there?? :)

I don’t run my gen late, Spend a lot of time making it nearly silent too with water separating muffler and water lift muffler.

For the haters who just want to complain about powerboats in general, I carry a box of split rings. Toss a couple up on their deck and when they find them it’s good for a few hours of entertainment. I like to come by and help when the search gets underway. Have you checked up there?? :)
Do you swear to GOD you do this ? I think its a old wives tale.

Believe it or not bluefish in Florida and bluefish up north in Yankeeland are not the same. They do not taste the same and do not have the same texture for cooking. And you darn sure don't want to eat the big chopper blues if you are a fan of game type fish that swims in the gulf stream. But they do make the best smoked fish and smoke fish dip right behind the mullet, which most fancier folks consider to be bait fish.
And as it relates to stinkpots, well some people look for something to complain about almost every day. Ignore them and move along.
Love your 'motto'.

A couple years ago a sailboat with a propeller driven wind generator pulled into the marina and left the thing spinning. Everyone in the marina could hear the damn thing. The harbor master finally made him shut it down. Can't imagine that thing in a quiet anchorage.

Then there's the three small sailboats we shared an anchorage with in the pristine waters of Lakes Huron's North Channel. We were weathered in for four nights, and they told us they had been anchored there for a couple of days before we arrived. They were still there when we left. I wondered about their holding tank capacity until I noticed a brown slick emerge from under one of them. Talk about stink pots. These were all school teachers, by the way.

Then there's the three small sailboats we shared an anchorage with in the pristine waters of Lakes Huron's North Channel. We were weathered in for four nights, and they told us they had been anchored there for a couple of days before we arrived. They were still there when we left. I wondered about their holding tank capacity until I noticed a brown slick emerge from under one of them. Talk about stink pots. These were all school teachers, by the way.

You don't say?

You don't say?

Perhaps I'm naïve, but I was disappointed that sail boaters of all people have so little regard for polluting that area. They could have dinghied into a nearby marina.

Yes no A/C needed and I wouldn't live or boat any where where it got that hot. You will never see me in the south. And yes I have lived in the south and it was miserable.

As I said, with modern batteries you can install a large enough battery bank to run your A/C all night. It just costs money and if a few tens of thousands matters to you you are in the wrong hobby.

Your last sentence cracks me up

AC is not just nice to have in the SE. It's a requirement.

My grandma was smart enough to have AC. If yours didn't have it, that's her problem.

I can afford boating because I don't spend stupid money on tens of thousands of dollars on batteries, I just turn on the genny.

I don't want propane on my boat. I'm electric and like it.

It's not about good or bad, right or wrong, it's about choices that we have and make.

Well if this thread served any purpose, it proves the old addage, every boat is a compromise.

ASD,
The answers to all you said above is obvious.
Not really that big a thing but I’ll hope we choose different anchorages.

Well if we do happen to be in the same anchorage I wold still invite you over for a cigar and a scotch!!!!:thumb:

I found this thread somewhat amusing, especially since it just illustrates the old adage "different strokes for different folks".
Here in the NW of the continent, air conditioning is not really needed except for MAYBE a few nights in the year. I do understand the desire (need) for air in the SE as I am sure sleeping would be difficult without it. My guess would be that most if not all boats down there (SE) would run their generators (and air) all night, so it shouldn't really be a problem. Most people should expect this and get used to it.

For me, I try hard to be as good a neighbour as I can in an anchorage (or even at a dock). I don't need air conditioning, we cook with propane, and heat (when needed) with diesel. The heater is the noisiest equipment, and we shut it off at bedtime anyway (and don't use it all that often). I don't run the generator before 8AM (usually 9) and don't run it during the happy hour/dinner time. I also don't run it after 9PM. This is even though my generator is very quiet, exhausting underwater. I am lucky enough that this meets my needs so I am not missing out by trying to be considerate. In this area (PNW), (in my humble opinion and as far as I can figure) most people (excluding the very large yachts) don't NEED to run their generators all night however, some chose to do so. This may in fact, be a bit inconsiderate (at least in some situations), but is usually not a big deal to me personally.

I agree with the clanging halyards being horrible, and this is just plain laziness. They can be tied off to reduce or eliminate the problem.
Like one poster mentioned, for me the worst annoyance was when a "super yacht" (200 footer) was docked across the wharf from me, and they ran their generator all day and night with it exhausting directly into my bedroom. I had to not only listen to it all night, but had no choice but to keep all windows and ports closed to keep out the horrible smell. Diesel exhaust is also known to be carcinagenic. I talked to the marina about this, but they said there was nothing that could be done as the yacht "needed" the power. I don't know about all of the needs of ships this size, but I suspected that they could have made some adjustments but that they just didn't care about the impact they were having on their neighbours.
ASD,
If I ever run across you up here, I would love to have that scotch you talked about. Just not a cigar smoker. :)
P.S.
I do not mean to be critical of anyone (except maybe the "super yacht"), just outlining my thinking on this and what I choose to do and am able to make work.

firehoser75,
If only they were all like you. A fine man and even a gentleman and a Canadian too.
Re heaters (assuming we’re talking about Wabastos and Espars) they definitely make noise but fly stuff compared to gas or diesel generators. And it’s interesting that most (probably) that were complaining about diesel heater noise are saying generators are just fine.
But you Tom are ahead of me in the quiet line re diesel heaters as I run mine all night whenever I feel the need. But it could conceivably keep an adjacent boat crew awake. Hmmmm? Never even thought it (Wabasto) should be shut down at night. This TF is a mirror at times.

Last edited:
If my big concern was heating the boat as opposed to cooling it, it would be simple to set up so there was no need for a generator. Diesel hydronic heat, propane cooking (which my wife prefers anyway), and a bigger inverter battery bank, but cooling is a totally different matter. You can store a lot more BTUs in 300lbs of diesel than in 300lbs of batteries.

Well if we do happen to be in the same anchorage I wold still invite you over for a cigar and a scotch!!!!:thumb:

ASD,
An olive branch? I accept but I’ll not be taking your offerings. Already done too much of that. You learned to do that in Alaska .. right?
Thanks,
Eric

Sitting in Mile Hammock off Camp Lejeune, NC tonight. 3rd boat into the anchorage. There are now ten, and it ain't dark yet. There is a sailboat (late arrival) that's maybe 80' from me when our swings coincide. How did Rodney King put it, "can't we all just get along". Was thinking about firing up the generator to make some heat (going to be in the low 50s tonight). But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.

70' on this swing. Daughter looks kind of cute, hmmm. If you don't want me looking at your daughter, don't anchor so close. :rolleyes:

Ted

Any good tattoos Ted? :)

Sorry I missed you, still in FT Pierce, looks like departing Wednesday for Charleston.

70' on this swing. Daughter looks kind of cute, hmmm. If you don't want me looking at your daughter, don't anchor so close. :rolleyes:

Ted

Maybe you need the cooling on instead!

Ted wrote;
“Was thinking about firing up the generator to make some heat (going to be in the low 50s tonight). But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.”

Great Idea,
Think I’ll go find that inverter.

Any good tattoos Ted? :)

Sorry I missed you, still in FT Pierce, looks like departing Wednesday for Charleston.

Couldn't see any tats, too much clothing, low 60s.

Oh well, maybe next time. Missed an outstanding dinner at Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House. :thumb:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom