Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #21

City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Dark Hull Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
Ross, TPO stands for the previous owner. Also awlgrip makes a special protectant that is applied similar to wax. It’s what I use but I have heard of people using an actually wax with no ill effects.

Thanks, Kevin. I assume then that you feel the painted hull finish is not inferior to coloured gelcoat, that it might even be easier to maintain and withstand the adverse effects of the sun maybe better than gelcoat. No more compounding. Am I correct?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #22

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Not sure if paint is inferior to gel. Mine has what is has and it’s the boat the “admiral” wanted so I look after it as best I can with what’s available and recommended.
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #23

Coloured Hull Maintenance

I understand. I'll continue my research and contribute when I can. Thanks. R
Old 03-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #24

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
Not sure if paint is inferior to gel. Mine has what is has and it’s the boat the “admiral” wanted so I look after it as best I can with what’s available and recommended.

echo
Old 03-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
34T has nothing to do with engine configurations; 34T is shorthand for "34 Trawler" to distinguish this model from various 34 configurations Mainship built in the 70s and 80s.

Colored hulls on these boats weren't colored gelcoat but rather paint - typically Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000.
AFAIK all factory painted Mainship hulls were done w Awlcraft 2000. If done later by a yard it could be Awlgrip or other.
I though gelcoat was a better alternative until I owned my MS 34HT w Aelxrsft 2000 hull. It is EZ to maintain, touch up EZ if / when necessary.
A friend helped me by doing some touch up spraying at the same time we painted his faded maroon gelcoat hull stripe. He added a few coats of clear over the colored top goat and it looks fantastic, is durable and was actually easier to do than compounding would have been.
Also.... Awlcraft can be compounded if necessary but it is not necessary or recommended as normal maintenance. In fact Awlgrip doesn't recommend using a machine on Awlcraft even to apply their recommended Awlcare polymer.
Here is a good link w differences in the 2 paint systems
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co....do?docId=1080
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #26

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
I have a 2007 Mainship P - pilot. rum runner model. single 370hp yanmar. perfect for my usage in Long Island Sound, Nantucket, NY Harbor and rivers, and Hudson River to Champlain.

the previous owner cut a hole for a second drain in the cockpit. did a crap job and allowed water to penetrate the core of about half the deck. it was very spongy and obvious, no moisture meter needed. The boat was excellent otherwise, and this deck problem had killed all sales for the owner. When I made my offer he agreed to pay for the repair by my pro FRP guy at $10,000. they peeled the bottom layer off from the engine room side, and redid the the entire half of the cockpit while leaving the top skin and non-skid un touched. also installed a genuine scupper and large drain. the cockpit is far better than new.

there were also water ingress issues around penetrations most likely done by the commissioning broker: fishing pole slots on the gunwales, gps antenna on the roof. These are minor and non-structural and I am able to remove, dig out the mush core with a nail, then refill with epoxy and cut a new hole through solid material.

this was also the case on my many sailboats over the decades: Stantion bases, anything added by PO that involved a hole in the deck, rails over dorade vents - none had been properly potted and so eventually leaked as the boat moves and twists with usage and age.

Since your hoped-for boat spends most of the year in storage it means that much of it may be able to dry out between seasons. Also, fresh water evaporates more than salty stuff in crevices. So the damage to the core may be minor. You might also find more water ingress after the boat sits in the water for a year, or 10.

I've bought and sold 6 boats. your survey does not sound like a deal killer to me. especially considering you like the boat and it is easily achievable in time/space/$$
Fair Seas
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #27

Mainship FRP Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I have a 2007 Mainship P - pilot. rum runner model. single 370hp yanmar. perfect for my usage in Long Island Sound, Nantucket, NY Harbor and rivers, and Hudson River to Champlain.

Since your hoped-for boat spends most of the year in storage it means that much of it may be able to dry out between seasons. Also, fresh water evaporates more than salty stuff in crevices. So the damage to the core may be minor. You might also find more water ingress after the boat sits in the water for a year, or 10.

I've bought and sold 6 boats. your survey does not sound like a deal killer to me. especially considering you like the boat and it is easily achievable in time/space/$$
Fair Seas

Thanks, Symphony. That's great information about a horrendous experience. I'm glad for you that the PO agreed to rectify the problem. I guess he learned a hard lesson. I am encouraged by your post. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #28

Hello everybody: Well, the ice has disappeared from Georgian Bay and the final part of the survey inspection and sea trial is scheduled for this week. I'm not anticipating any major issues since the vessel seems to be in great shape, including the ER. And the seller has complied with my repair/replace requests reported in the first phase of the survey. Having said this, the fact that the marina buffed and waxed the painted hull was disappointing since I've read that the buffing can shorten the life of the paint.

I'm told that the same diesel mechanic/technician has performed most of the maintenance work and upgrades since the boat was new. Thus, he claims to be very familiar with her history. When I requested a mechanical survey, I was told that they'd be happy to spend my money, but that it would be wasted since the boat is mechanically/electrically sound.

In my research, I've read that if the engines start easily from cold, run smoothly through the throttle range, including WOT, don't belch smoke or overheat, and shut down immediately when the ignition is switched off, and if the Yanmar 240 engines with around 900 hours look clean, then the chances of there being a problem are slim.

The oil was changed last fall, and the transmissions fluid this spring. Thus, I can't have them tested. I believe the fuel filters were also changed. And of course, compression testing the deisels is prohibitively expensive due to the absence of glow plugs, necessitating the removal of the injectors.

My quandary is this; do I insist on a full mechanical survey and pay the rather large fee, or do I trust that all is well, that what I'm being told is the truth? The people with whom I'm dealing seem honest, and they want me to maintain "my" boat at their facility. I invite your candid comments. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I'm not an expert, or even have much experience. So take this FWIW, which is very, very little.

I'd still do a mechanical survey. Find a mechanic that does mechanical surveys that is well regarded and not the brother-in-law of the mechanic that has done all the work on the boat. I tend to trust folks so I would have no doubts that the seller and his mechanic are telling you everything that they know. However, a fresh set of eyes who is being paid to be picky may identify problems that are unknown. I don't consider paying for a survey as well as mechanical survey to be a sign of distrust, but a sign of due diligence.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Just quickly scanned through your thread. Interesting to hear about boat values in Canada Vs. the U.S.

It sounds like you have your sights on a nice boat.

I won’t venture in to the moisture aspect as you have been given some good advice already.

Regarding the survey, I think 99 percent of the people on here will recommend you get a good Hull and Mechanical survey done. Pay for a thorough one, it’s worth it.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #31

If there are no leaks, no corrosion, the engines start right up from cold, smoke stops after warm up, you can hear the turbo spool up, boat runs at WOT without overheating, temperatures taken with laser on each engine match, engine room looks clean, invoices for work are there or a maintenance log - I'd say you have better than anything an engine survey could tell you. these engines are very reliable and forgiving.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #32

City: Orange County
Vessel Name: Shindig
2006 Mainship Trawler

Do any of you know what the subfloor construction is under the salon carpet?
Or please refer me to another post with more information about the salon carpet.
Shindig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #33

marine plywood.

may have a fake teak/holly veneer, or a cherry veneer, but likely designed strictly for carpet.
You must look at it. boats are not as standardized as cars. there's something special or different or stupid on every single one!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #34

2006 Mainship 34T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Just quickly scanned through your thread. Interesting to hear about boat values in Canada Vs. the U.S.

It sounds like you have your sights on a nice boat.

I won’t venture in to the moisture aspect as you have been given some good advice already.

Regarding the survey, I think 99 percent of the people on here will recommend you get a good Hull and Mechanical survey done. Pay for a thorough one, it’s worth it.

Thanks, Fletcher. I hired a highly qualified marine surveyor whom I found during my research, and completed the first on-the-hard phase of the inspection. The second in-the-drink phase is scheduled for tomorrow. And I've arranged for a diesel mechanic/technician with 25 years experience to inspect the ER with me. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #35

Thanks Ron, going for a second hard look at the 34T in a few hours. I saw it at a local boat show about 3 weeks ago early in the morning. The carpet felt damp on my bare feet, so I don’t know if it was cleaned the night before or is there another issue. Here’s a loaded question, do you have any advice for me being a shopper to check out on the boat. I’ll certainly have all surveys performed if I decide to purchase the boat. It has the Cummins:
Engine Model: 5.9M3
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2800
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 370 HP

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #36

Sorry Ross for calling you Ron.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #37

That's okay, Mike. Not the first time ... and no doubt that I've been called worse. :-)

During an initial inspection of a boat, and much to the broker's chagrin, I spend at least an hour looking carefully at the hull and deck, thru-hulls, running gear and flybridge looking for any irregularities. Inside, I open every door, drawer, hatch and window for proper operation and signs of mold. Bilge is checked for oil and fluids. I guess you could say that I do a pre-survey inspection.

I found this site helpful, and I've read David Pascoe's book, Mid Size Power Boats. These 2 resources helped me in a big way to understand more about what I was seeking.

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection.

Good luck to you.