Stidd vs director's chair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed on one site that came up on google, that they said "if you're going to use it in something other than a Class 8 truck, call before you order"...

Didn't Connell put one of these on his steel boat?

I noticed on one site that came up on google, that they said "if you're going to use it in something other than a Class 8 truck, call before you order"...

Didn't Connell put one of these on his steel boat?

"Along these lines, I have often wondered if an RV drivers ‘captains chair’ would work on a boat?"

RV or even sports cars can seldom go beyond one G of side loading.

The poster wanted to have the seat useful when enjoying 30 deg rolls, I have no idea why,

Auto or class 8 truck would not do well in those conditions as when the roll checks , the loads can be higher than one G.

The really big buck boat seats are designed to reduce impact from bouncing over waves , not roll forces.

Last edited:
I would think if you could have such a seat high enough to see clearly and it can be attached to the boat properly, why not? May look a little weird.

I have a firmly secured helm seat. I’ve always appreciated it but its value was reinforced a few weeks ago when I made a bad weather call and had the crap beat out of us for a couple of hours. There is no way I would have an unsecured helm seat.

I also question the idea of trying to secure another type of seat. FF alluded to this problem a few posts ago. I weigh 200-210 lbs. I have never seen an office chair that I would trust not to break when coming off a large wave and slamming down into the next while holding 200# plus.

Gotta have arms that fold up too.

One of my biggest complaints over the years was how I wanted a comfortable and secure seat to cruise for extended hours and in rough weather. Finally bit the bullet and upgraded both helm stations. Definitely one of the best spend of boat dollars I have made. Got the Stidd bench seat as a boat show demo model and had two stainless backing plates made to through bolt to ceiling below. We have 450 pounds on the seat together(let’s say the Admiral is less than 150 of that) and not a bit of flex. IMG_1236.jpgIMG_1234.jpg

Went with Lebroc for the cabin helm. Chopped down the cabinet and mounted it to an electric slide base. I found the comfort of the Lebroc the best with inflatable lumbar and the admiral loves the heated bum feature when she has the helm.
IMG_1230.jpgIMG_1231.jpgIMG_1232.jpgIMG_1233.jpg

Back
Top Bottom