Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Sticker issue, New York State

Ok I need some help. I am bringing a boat from New York State back to Canada on the Erie Canal and the owner said he has removed his "Sticker". What does that mean and what are the ramifications? Will a Bill of Sale keep me out of trouble if I get stopped being it is leaving the USA?

LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
The "sticker" could be any of a number of things. Maybe a NY State registration sticker? Maybe a US Customs "decal"? Maybe some Canadian sticker?

I think the more important question is whether it's a US registered boat, and you are importing it into Canada? Or are you just running the boat and bringing it in as a visitor on behalf of someone else?

If you are operating someone else's boat you typically need a letter from the owner authorizing you to operate, import, export the boat. This is commonplace with captained boats.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The "sticker" could be any of a number of things. Maybe a NY State registration sticker? Maybe a US Customs "decal"? Maybe some Canadian sticker?

I think the more important question is whether it's a US registered boat, and you are importing it into Canada? Or are you just running the boat and bringing it in as a visitor on behalf of someone else?

If you are operating someone else's boat you typically need a letter from the owner authorizing you to operate, import, export the boat. This is commonplace with captained boats.
It is a US documented vessel being imported into Canada with a Bill of Sale. The owner has to turn in the Title Document to have it undocumented being it is being sold outside of the USA. The sticker is definitely something to do with New York State.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
The sticker is likely a tax sticker of some sort. I would suggest that you contact whatever New York state office registers boats and ask them what you should do. Paying for a New York registration will likely be less cost and trouble than getting a ticket. It is also possible that your bill of sale plus your Canadian ID will be all you need.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Sounds like the registration sticker. Documented vessels with a NY State home port still have to have a registration sticker, but no reg. numbers on the bow like non-documented vessels do.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
It could also have been a sticker for the NY canal system.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
It could also have been a sticker for the NY canal system.
This was my first thought as well. if this is the case, it's easy to get a new one. There are several levels, two day, week, and seasonal pass. They're all pretty cheap, really. You get them at the first lock you come to. EDIT: I just checked the website, and found this: In recognition of the 100th anniversary of the New York State Canal System, there are no tolls or fees for recreational vessels traveling on the system in 2018

If he's talking NY State registration sticker, then you'll have to deal with the NYS DMV.
Pricing goes by length, with a maximum of $93.75, so also not too bad. I'm not sure why he would have removed this, unless it was expired. Most boats in NY have a stack of registration stickers on the bow a quarter of an inch thick.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #8

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
I will also vote that it is probably the NYS registration sticker. Documented boats in NYS still have to be registered with the DMV here. Just another “fee” to be paid. The stickers are supposed to be removed or rendered “unusable” when you sell the boat. This is the language written on the back of the sticker backing. I just replaced mine the other day. I would think that having all of the sale paperwork would be enough for transit till you register her in her final destination but some agency somewhere probably disagrees because of more “fees” that have to be paid. Perhaps a company that specializes in boat registering can help or provide some insight. Best of luck.
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
It is a US documented vessel being imported into Canada with a Bill of Sale. The owner has to turn in the Title Document to have it undocumented being it is being sold outside of the USA. The sticker is definitely something to do with New York State.
The owner just needs to be sure they're aware of current tariffs and taxes. I know Canada just put a tariff on boats, but not sure which ones it applies to, if only new or includes used.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
The sticker is a NYSDMV sticker. It goes on the forward part of the hull on either side of the bow. No biggy. Long as you have your running papers or title, it's kool.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I can't imagine why Canada would care if you have a NY sticker on your boat when importing it to Canada. But there will be some hefty taxes dues, I expect.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The owner just needs to be sure they're aware of current tariffs and taxes. I know Canada just put a tariff on boats, but not sure which ones it applies to, if only new or includes used.
The new tariff 10%, is on all boats. The owner now tells me it is a NY registration sticker he removed. I will call the DMV in the morning and see what they say. Might cost me $95.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mazurka
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
When I bought my boat in the US I removed the vessel from US documentation and obtained a Canadian licence prior to launching. The boat had Canadian numbers on it when I got underway and when I arrived back in Canada I paid the HST on entry to Canada as the last step in the process. There didn't seem to be any dependencies between licencing and importing, unlike a motor vehicle where you have to import before you can get a licence. The whole process was surprisingly painless.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
When I bought my boat in the US I removed the vessel from US documentation and obtained a Canadian licence prior to launching. The boat had Canadian numbers on it when I got underway and when I arrived back in Canada I paid the HST on entry to Canada as the last step in the process. There didn't seem to be any dependencies between licencing and importing, unlike a motor vehicle where you have to import before you can get a licence. The whole process was surprisingly painless.
Exactly as Jeff says, I've done it dozens of times delivering boats.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Exactly as Jeff says, I've done it dozens of times delivering boats.
Have you taken any into Canada since the tariff was implemented?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #16
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Have you taken any into Canada since the tariff was implemented?
No.
There are no changes in collections. All taxes, duties (whatever they happen to be at the time) are due immediately upon arrival.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:28 AM   #17
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mazurka
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
La Bomba, what boat did you buy? Sorry if I missed it in another thread. Where in NY?
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
The sticker is a NYSDMV sticker. It goes on the forward part of the hull on either side of the bow. No biggy. Long as you have your running papers or title, it's kool.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #19

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Same deal here. I got a temporary Registration from Transport Canada, took my contract to The customs office at Oshawa Airport where they put it in the computer under my name.
I changed the name and flag in Atlantic City before heading north and called in to Canada Customs on arrival. They calculated the HST based on that day's rate, gave me the amount and told me to take the money to Oshawa Airport within 72 hours. It was really easy. No one even bothered to come look at the boat.
Within 6 months you take your paperwork and tax receipts to Transport Canada and the registration is made permanent. Provincial licensing may be easier or harder, I don't know.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Don't sweat canal sticker as NY canals are free this yr.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote