Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Stern tie - I need your opinion

If you read Farley Mowat's The Boat Who Wouldn't Float you'll find that there is a breed of dog that will do just that for you. I forget the name of the breed--- it's not the Portugese Water Dog--- but it's unique in the Canadian Maritimes. Among other things they would jump into the water after a boat launching and retrieve all the wooden blocks and wedges that had been used to keep the boat level in its cradle that floated free when the hull lifted off the cradle. From Farley's description, they are pretty remarkable dogs.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:

If you read Farley Mowat's The Boat Who Wouldn't Float you'll find that there is a breed of dog that will do just that for you. I forget the name of the breed--- it's not the Portugese Water Dog--- but it's unique in the Canadian Maritimes. Among other things they would jump into the water after a boat launching and retrieve all the wooden blocks and wedges that had been used to keep the boat level in its cradle that floated free when the hull lifted off the cradle. From Farley's description, they are pretty remarkable dogs.
A St. John's dog? Or a Newfoundland?

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Retrieval of the line is not a job for the dog. Its a crew job.
Some of you have read this here before, but I will repeat:
Pendrell sound, on a hot hot day in August, I was minding my own business on the bow of my boat when a mermaid swam by. Well it was the first mate from a nearby sailboat, swimming topless. naturally she got my attention, and that of several other fellows in the fairly crowded anchorage. So I kept an eye peeled, and sure enough, was rewarded with the sight of her swimming to the shore at the stern of her boat, walking gingerly up the rocky beach to the trees, where she untied the one part stern line. She coiled it as she returned to the water's edge, swam back to her boat, climbed aboard, hauled in the line and put it away, went to the bow and hauled up the anchor. While she was doing those crew jobs, the skipper started the engine, and when she returned to the cockpit, he drove them out of the anchorage.
Now that is the "perfect crew".
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The nylon line that is single braid used for most ski/tow rope, the kind if you push the braid back it forms a hollow center that you can insert the end of another line into that hold tight like a Chinese finger lock.** Then you can cut the worn pieced out and slice it back together. **When we skied a lot I made different size ski rope harness.* *You can also link several lines together to make one long line and take them apart to make short lines again. So it seems learn how to splice the lines/rope is the simplest.

So instead of stern tie why not stern anchor?* We have a stern anchor then you do not have to go to shore? ***
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

So instead of stern tie why not stern anchor?We have a stern anchor then you do not have to go to shore?
I also have a stern anchor, which I might choose to deploy rather than go to shore. However, some circumstances dictate that you get the stern so close to shore that you don't have enough distance to make for proper scope on a stern anchor.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Now if the dog took the line from the boat by itself*and ran it around the tree, then swam back with the free end of line, allowing me to stay on board and not bother with the dinghy, I'd consider adopting such a dog.

I'm going to try that, and give up on trying to teach our dog, Troy, to tie a bowline.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Moonstruck.* Maybe Troy can tie a "boneline"?
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
It's not a Newfoundland.* I'd have remebered that.* St. John's dog sounds familiar, though.* I don't know where my copy of the book is so I can't look up what he wrote.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #29

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
Marin wrote:

dwhatty wrote:
It's not a Newfoundland.* I'd have remebered that.* St. John's dog sounds familiar, though.* I don't know where my copy of the book is so I can't look up what he wrote.

I've also misplaced my copy of the book and I can't remeber the dog's breed,*but I can vouch for the dog's stated abilities.* That is probably the most engaging boat book I've ever read.* Highly recomended to the experianced or aspiring cruiser.*

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Only book better would be London's* "Sea Wolf",* But no dog in that one that I remember
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Capt Dan wrote:

Only book better would be London's* "Sea Wolf",* But no dog in that one that I remember
Have to go to "The Call Of The Wild" for the canine.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #32
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Stern tie - I need your opinion

We also have a grapping hook?* The shop made them for use as we keep dropping things in the water.* )-;* *Maybe throw a grapping hook as a temporary bases?* It would seem if you*spliced a line with a loop at each end that went around the tree, the long main line went through, you could pull the main line in and leave the one around the tree for others or future use.*

We usually grandchildren with us and they are easier to train/teach than a dog!* (0:* ******

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 29th of November 2010 12:32:10 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #33
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Marin wrote:

A PWD will retrieve many*items in the water and bring them back to the boat.* In fact one of the exercises being considered for the upper most title in their water work is to retrieve a floating boat oar and swim it back to the boat that lost it.

They*presently retrieve float lines from shore and bring them back to the boat as well as retrieving float balls and float lines with nets attached.* All of these are presently*done in their working dog title exercises.*

So swimming a line to shore and taking it around a tree and*then returning the bitter end to the boat*may not be*beyond their capabilities.*The trick will be to get the dog to pick the correct*size tree.

When we start to training again this spring I'll suggest it to a couple of the trainers and see what they can come up with.*

My first choice would be the Mermaid.* Wonder if she hires out.* Won't make any difference the Admiral wouldn't allow it anyway.* Better train the Portie.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 30th of November 2010 09:44:53 AM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever comes to mind. The purpose they were bread for was for line handling. Maybe this is the dog y'all speak of....very smart and very eager to work!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 30th of November 2010 10:10:38 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #35
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I'm from Newfoundland and as a kid I had a st Johns dog.

Couldn't take a dory out without o'l Caplin. One of my chors was to feed the sled dogs . We did this by using a trident on a long pole that we used to stab flounders on the bottom. We would toss them into the dog pen and the sled dogs would eat them. Caplin would swim round and round the dory as we worked.
If you dropped something in the water he would jump right*off the warf*and get it for you. He also became quite adept at retreving the errant flounder that got off the trident sometimes diving to the bottom in 6 or 8 ft of water to get them.

He came to a sad end as a Mountie shot him for running loose.
He didn't have to do that he shot him beside the front porch.
Haven't had much respect for the RCMP since then.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 30th of November 2010 12:16:29 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #36

I thought you might be interested in a*product that totally simplifies stern tying. Check out www.clearmarine.com and look for stern tie systems (there is a video). These guys also manufacture*an anti-chafing device, that may address your initial concern (not sure if its on the website or not). Hope you enjoy it!
Waterdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Now if Clear Marine could find some sea-going cowboy who knew the proper way to make a line off on a cleat,* they might have something.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #38

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42

Quote:
Waterdogs wrote:

I thought you might be interested in a*product that totally simplifies stern tying. Check out www.clearmarine.com and look for stern tie systems (there is a video). These guys also manufacture*an anti-chafing device, that may address your initial concern (not sure if its on the website or not). Hope you enjoy it!* (my bold)

From the site newsletter..."Jeff Fehr, the new CEO of Clear Marine".* Coincidence that Waterdogs lists his name as Jeff Fehr?* I'm not knocking the product, although it seems a little overkill, but I detest dishonesty.

Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

Okay, so somebody 'splain to me what the big whoop is with this "Clearmarine" stern-tie thing. You still have to go ashore with the line. You still have to run it through the ring or around the rock or whatever. You still have to get the bitter end of the line back to the boat.

The only advantage I see is that dinghy person doesn't have to take the end of the line back to the boat. Boat person (assuming there is one) can reel the end of the line back to the boat him/herself. But since dinghy person still has to go back to the boat anyway, why not simply take the bitter end of the stern line back with them?

I've rigged stern lines several times and to date I have not found it particulary challenging to take the end of the line back to the boat in the dinghy. But perhaps I've been leading a sheltered life. Perhaps taking the bitter end of the line back to the boat in the dinghy is in fact frought with dangers-- sudden, dinghy-sucking whirlpools or attacks by furious river otters for example.

But let's say a boater is totally enamored of the notion of pulling the bitter end of the stern line back to the boat from the boat. Fine, all you need is a light line--- string even--- long enough to reach the shore. Dinghy person takes the ends of the stern line and the string ashore, fastens them togeher, and boat person pulls the string in and hence the bitter end of the stern line.

This business of stacked reels on a stainless frame is just silly in my mind. Talk about technology for technology's sake. I'm surprised it doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it since Microsoft is the company that has perfected the art of dumping all sorts of useless crap on its users under the motto, "Because we can."

I'm sure there are boaters out there who will hock up the several hundred dollars this thing probably costs. Mr. Fehr probably laughs all the way to the bank every time he gets an order.

And in the time it took the two people in the video to deploy and use this rig, I suspect most boaters on this forum could have designed and constructed a dock complete with driven piles and a nice bullrail and so wouldn't need a stern line anyway.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Marin,

I love you man!** You hit the nail on the head,* drove it home with one hit.*** WOW

LOL,** laughing out loud!

I don't think there is much market for that rig,* ie,* not much banking.

Dan