Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sausalito
Vessel Name: Spirit
Vessel Model: Lien hwa
Color choices on hull cabin

Hi
I am thinking about painting this boat with some colors , I am thinking grey on the hull and bollocks, white on the cabin,wings ,lower half of eyebrow and flybridge sole and sides, grey on upper half of eyebrow ,radar arch , and doing a the bridge hardtop( I want to add) in charcoal grey.....mast ,radar dome in white....do you think it’s to bold For an old trawler, ...it can be reversed white hull white ,grey cabin sides .( either way I think the wings need to stay white)..keep the charcoal black hard top.... I really like the color schemes on the Bering yachts ,but the colors might not work on the lines of an old trawler? .....any thoughts would be great
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
65B906F8-C361-470D-B3A9-6508EE583EB1.jpeg   9B1E51F2-527D-43DC-8447-6611D52CDABD.jpg  
Mattie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Hi Matt! I’m really not liking the battleship grey, but I can see where you are going with this.

I like the idea of how you want to paint it, just not the color. How about a steel blue instead of the gray?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hi Matt! I’m really not liking the battleship grey, but I can see where you are going with this.

I like the idea of how you want to paint it, just not the color. How about a steel blue instead of the gray?

Nice idea Donna.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:

At first I was thinking blue, but blue kinda fights with the different blues of the water and there is a lot of blue boats out there, then I thought about a taupe but it fights with the teak ,grey and teak look good together , but without the sharp lines of these modern trawlers like the Bering yachts you might be right it will look like a battle ship, I want to do something bold ,it is defineatley safer to paint the cabin sides a color and keep the hull white, still have a couple months to decide , thank you for the input
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Was next to a Bering yacht at Mackinac Island this summer. It may be my imagination, but that color showed every last scratch and imperfection. This is probably true of most darker colors on boat hulls. The other thought is that while this may be in style to some degree now, when it goes out....well think polyester day glow pants from the '70s (disco era).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I’d just buck up and paint her white with posibly a wide bootstripe of med-light yellow w a blue border. Then a blue stripe (or pannel) to match the blue canvas just below the gunnel. What 6, 7 or so inches wide down to the existing stripe or hull break line I see in the pic. She’s got a powerful straight sheer and lots of proud length to show off. Keep the cabin/house and FB white or very light as a light color looks light too. Makes for a better looking boat balance wise.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

Wifey B: Brighten it up. Play with it. White and mix in some pizzazz. Boats are for fun. Have fun with the color. What color is the favorite of you and your wife? I'm with Donna on blue but if yours is green or yellow or red, incorporate some in it. The brighter the color, the less of it you need.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Mattie, choosing the color is entirely personal and if you're having the boat professionally painted then it will be extremely expensive - so you you need to be 100% self-confident on your decision. See if you can get a high resolution photo of the boat, download Gimp onto your Mac or Windows computer, and then paint it to your heart's content.

If I may also share my personal opinion... white is the last color I would ever paint my boat - unless your only concern is resale value.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Grey is stealth color. Find that not useful in most boating situations. White can be stealthy too in fog and heavy whitecaps at a distance. Believe in the advantage of multiple, contrasting colors. I delegate grey to the decks. Selected green, white, and yellow for my primary colors for greater non-stealthiness. Other colors can work too.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Mattie, choosing the color is entirely personal and if you're having the boat professionally painted then it will be extremely expensive - so you you need to be 100% self-confident on your decision. See if you can get a high resolution photo of the boat, download Gimp onto your Mac or Windows computer, and then paint it to your heart's content.

If I may also share my personal opinion... white is the last color I would ever paint my boat - unless your only concern is resale value.
Wifey B: Have someone photoshop your boat in the color you're thinking of. Don't go in blind.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had some dry rot repaired in the overhangs, eyebrows and bollocks so I have to paint them , the cabin and hull paint is actually really nice and probably 5-7 years old the bollocks and eyebrow are faired nice now and should look like the hull after being painted, as many of you know painting hull is really the easiest part of painting a boat and usually when you paint the upper half then old hull paint looks crappy ang aged, i was considering actually wrapping the cabin and inside bollocks with the same stuff they wrap cars with if I decide to put a color on the cabin and paint the hull white again, I was at a car show a couple months ago and a women had her Range Rover wrapped in black velvet , she said she has been to the snow and thru th car wash several times so I guess any thing is possible ? ...wonder how a black velvet trawler would go over at a boat show?
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Grey is stealth color. Find that not useful in most boating situations. White can be stealthy too in fog and heavy whitecaps at a distance. Believe in the advantage of multiple, contrasting colors. I delegate grey to the decks. Selected green, white, and yellow for my primary colors for greater non-stealthiness. Other colors can work too.
Thanks I never thought about that aspect of of it, I guess that’s why navy ships are grey
Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thank you actually , I do have someone putting together a 3D model on a computer for me so we can play with colors and possible transom modifications ,thinking about building an aluminum cap and covering the center transom door and adding a port and starboard door,along with extending my aftdeck hardtop...I agree life is to short to not put some color on it if you have to paint it ...
Attached Thumbnails
2A285DA6-65AF-4D59-BBAE-EEE5FF8EB298.jpg   D963DF88-7AB4-4F17-BC31-994168BE1641.jpg   CCAAC1DF-3B20-47BD-8CBD-B513C95C1FFA.jpg   C9849619-0C95-42D2-B01E-C169A2A2B81E.jpg   67A8CBD0-6C7C-4650-AFB4-8B34867E1F80.jpg  

Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 AM   #14

City: Perth
Green hull, white cabin with a yellow roof and (if possible red sails and a very easily readable name in bold italics)
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Green hull, white cabin with a yellow roof and (if possible red sails and a very easily readable name in bold italics)
Yeah! I was blessed to be able to select my boat's color scheme.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:27 AM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle
Nice 3-D hand sketches Mattie. Translate those into a computer file and Bob's your uncle!

BTW, what in the world is a "bullock?" or do you mean "bulwark?"
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Kusadasi
Vessel Name: Irish Rover
Vessel Model: Fountaine Pajot Greenland 34
Quote:
The word I saw was "bollocks" and I was wondering if this was an Americanism with a naval meaning which I'm not familiar with as opposed to one of the most commonly used words in my native Ireland.
Irish Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #18
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you have an ipad or other tablet, take a photo and get one of the painting apps that let you try the paints on a "wall" and see how it looks. We know you won't be using sherwin williams paints but quite a few paint companies offer free apps to let you see what it would look like before you jump in with both feet.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Purely personal. No right or wrong. It's your boat.

Me? No haze grey on my boat - spent too many years looking at it. Likewise, peasoup green on the interior.

I did what stubones suggested. Not perfect, but it gives you a sense of what might be. And, if you find a color(s) you like, the retail color code is readily transferable to whatever you're spraying.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice 3-D hand sketches Mattie. Translate those into a computer file and Bob's your uncle!

It should bulwark,I don’t know why I keep calling bullocks