Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #101
Guru

City: Vermont
Since we have dredged this up again, I'm interested in advice on another aspect of stern tying. How the heck do you get ashore to run the line around a tree? It seems that stern tying is most needed where there are steep drop offs of the ocean bottom and hence no room to anchor and swing. When the ocean bottom drops off quickly, the shore also tends to ascend quickly. Assume an arrival at anything below high tide, and you somehow need to get out of a dinghy, scale a shore of slimy slippery rocks to reach a tree, thread the line, then scale back down, all without killing yourself or ending up in the drink. And one person needs to hold station in the boat while the other is performing shore-side gymnastics. I'm having a really hard time envisioning my wife and me doing this.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #102
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Since we have dredged this up again, I'm interested in advice on another aspect of stern tying. How the heck do you get ashore to run the line around a tree? It seems that stern tying is most needed where there are steep drop offs of the ocean bottom and hence no room to anchor and swing. When the ocean bottom drops off quickly, the shore also tends to ascend quickly. Assume an arrival at anything below high tide, and you somehow need to get out of a dinghy, scale a shore of slimy slippery rocks to reach a tree, thread the line, then scale back down, all without killing yourself or ending up in the drink. And one person needs to hold station in the boat while the other is performing shore-side gymnastics. I'm having a really hard time envisioning my wife and me doing this.
That's when the young'uns come in handy!
Attached Thumbnails
2013-08-14 11.12.57.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #103
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Well Peter, you have pretty well nailed the question. Add to it wind and current pushing on the beam side of a plus 50' vessel weighing over 40 tons and the theory becomes interesting for many.

That said, my stern tie line is mounted on the plastic spool the line came on. Then used a length of clothes rack dowel and Velcro straps to hold it onto the rails on either side of the stern boarding gate. Cost about 5 bucks for the mounting DH!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #104
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Yes, we deployed someone in the dinghy. A lot of the time we ran a poly line around a rock (if not jagged) or a tree, not just a ring as those aren't everywhere. And brought the line back to the boat, so upon departure, no need to go back in the dinghy. Now I guess that's like having two lines astern, but they were light weight. Given you have that and the anchor line, it would take a heck of a wind to test the strength. When for and aft anchoring (not a Bahamian moor, or when there is substantial current or wind shift forecastes), we often use lighter tackle for the stern.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #105
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Looking to head North for the first time I am starting to plan for the potential stern tie. Lots of options, but amazingly my wife likes the Quickline Reel despite its cost. I have three concerns. The first is cost. I'm am a cheap SOB and it is simply expensive.
dhays - I think line strength has been covered, but cost has not. Yes, they are mucho expensive. But once you have one, and master the art of stern tying, you'll love it. As far as cost, there is a TF discount (free shipping) on them in the Commercial Market section.
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #106

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I had some stainless steel rod in my garage, so I got out the welder and made a big treble hook. As long as I can get close enough to shore I can throw it and catch something that's good enough for a temporary line, which gives me a little time to get my main line set in place. I've used it 4 or 5 times now and its never failed me.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #107
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
dhays - I think line strength has been covered, but cost has not. Yes, they are mucho expensive. But once you have one, and master the art of stern tying, you'll love it. As far as cost, there is a TF discount (free shipping) on them in the Commercial Market section.
Thanks Darrren.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #108
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The only time we tried to stern anchor was at the head of a big inlet where the bottom dropped of rapidly from the river delta typical of such inlets in the PNW. Went almost up on the beach and deployed our faithful 13lb Danforth. It was a light green grassy bottom that offered no purchase to the anchor. It was like dragging an anchor over a greased FG deck.
We have over 400' of rode so we just anchored out a bit and deep.

We never did have another need to stern tie or anchor. Most of the stern tie prone anchorages are in the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound and similar places. If your Alaska bound you probably won't need or want a stern anchor or tie rig.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #109
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We stern tie quite a bit...if you sneak into the corner of a small bay the distance to shore can be pretty short, and the terrain easy going.

We sometimes leave Badger to go hiking all day, and have deployed a stern anchor on the windward midship cleat if a 'brisk' wind is expected...this eliminates any side loading.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #110
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave

We stern tie a lot. I like the spool on a staple on the swim grid, as the neatest setup. However, you need a West Bay Sonship 58 first.

What I use is a pair of yellow milk boxes, one with 200' of 1/2" nylon 3 strand, the other with 300'. I often start with the longer one and swap it out once pulled back in to the shore. In most anchorages, I try to get there by noon, so most people leaving have left, most people arriving haven't arrived. This gives me the most room and the fewest gawkers. I anchor, pull back in to where I want to be, then put one engine in reverse, at idle. I turn the boat over to Janet (SWMBO). If she can't hold position until I get my line into the dinghy, I will put the engines both in neutral and let the boat drift out, put the extra line into the dinghy and head for shore, paying out line as I go. Where we like to go there is usually a steep climb to the nearest tree, so I grab the box of line and pass it around the tree, still paying it out as I go, rappel down to the dinghy and head back to the boat. If the boat has drifted too far, I tie off the line on itself, at the waterline, go to the boat and start hauling line in, with or without help from the engine, depending on winds and currents. Once settled in position I will swap out the long line for the shorter one, doubled around the tree and tied onto the self tailing winches on my davits, so further adjustment is easy.
I know this sounds too involved to be worth while, but it took me just as long to type up this post as it would to tie back in an anchorage. When the current and wind cooperate, it can be done quite quickly.

As for the West Bay 58, the procedure is: Have SWMBO pull the stern tie line from the spool to the foredeck, stand on the bowsprit with the line in hand, step off onto the steep shore when the bowsprit reaches it, pass the line around the tree and step back onto the bowsprit, pull the line with her as she walks back to the swimgrid, all the while waiting as the boat is swung around, pay out more line as the boat is positioned for dropping the anchor, pull in the slack as the boat backs down on the anchor, tie off. The skipper doesn't leave the wheel.
I was very impressed to watch this done in Desolation, by a friend who lost the use of his legs 40 years ago. After that display,they hosted happy hour. All I had to do in that anchorage was tie on.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #111
Guru

All this is great information. Keep it coming.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #112
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
What I use is a pair of yellow milk boxes, one with 200' of 1/2" nylon 3 strand, the other with 300'. I often start with the longer one and swap it out once pulled back in to the shore. In most anchorages, I try to get there by noon, so most people leaving have left, most people arriving haven't arrived. This gives me the most room and the fewest gawkers. I anchor, pull back in to where I want to be, then put one engine in reverse, at idle. I turn the boat over to Janet (SWMBO). If she can't hold position until I get my line into the dinghy, I will put the engines both in neutral and let the boat drift out, put the extra line into the dinghy and head for shore, paying out line as I go. Where we like to go there is usually a steep climb to the nearest tree, so I grab the box of line and pass it around the tree, still paying it out as I go, rappel down to the dinghy and head back to the boat. If the boat has drifted too far, I tie off the line on itself, at the waterline, go to the boat and start hauling line in, with or without help from the engine, depending on winds and currents. Once settled in position I will swap out the long line for the shorter one, doubled around the tree and tied onto the self tailing winches on my davits, so further adjustment is easy.
I know this sounds too involved to be worth while, but it took me just as long to type up this post as it would to tie back in an anchorage. When the current and wind cooperate, it can be done quite quickly.
Good description of our approach, nice post!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #113
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Make One

Dhays,

We made a spool from PVC pipe. This was just a few bucks at our local hardware store. It mounts in our one and only deck fishing rod holder.

We purchased a full spool (600') of yellow poly line, also from the hardware store. They gave me a spool from sold stock that was slightly larger than the spool the line came on. It will not be possible to get all of the line back on the original spool, at least while blowing around an anchorage in the rain in the dark with your tender on a painter while swatting mosquitos.

I made a PVC crank handle for the bigger spool, and put the line on it.

I figured out the total cost to be forty-something dollars and about an hour of time. I don't want some half-baked gear on my boat, but this works and looks acceptable. There is nothing to corrode or maintain. I would take the same path again.

It DOES generate some interesting speculation/comments/questions from people around the dock.

Best Wishes
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #114
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Dave-for a cheap reel, go to any contractor supply place, or search on amazon for "cord reels". We got a nice reel, with handle for retrieve, originally meant for long extension cords (so you can even plug it in!), rated for 150' of 16 gauge, 3 wire cords. Actually holds just about 300' of 3/8" poly. Cost me like $32. It stands nicely on its own, is light, has a top handle and is easy to store in the lazarette.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #115
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Dave-for a cheap reel, go to any contractor supply place, or search on amazon for "cord reels". We got a nice reel, with handle for retrieve, originally meant for long extension cords (so you can even plug it in!), rated for 150' of 16 gauge, 3 wire cords. Actually holds just about 300' of 3/8" poly. Cost me like $32. It stands nicely on its own, is light, has a top handle and is easy to store in the lazarette.
I bought 600' of line from Fisheries and a hose reel at Lowes. I just place the reel in my cockpit stern door and away you go.
Attached Thumbnails
107_4033.jpg  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Dhays,

We made a spool from PVC pipe. This was just a few bucks at our local hardware store. It mounts in our one and only deck fishing rod holder.
Not a bad idea. Might be a good use for the fishing rod holder that I would never use. I have two very nice ones that the PO had installed on the back cockpit transom on port and starboard.

Dave

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #117
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
For those who want a strap to go around a tree and don't want to spend a ton of $$$ or it, check out this strap at Lowe's. 2" x 20' for $28 and change, and it will match your yellow poly line so you're not being gauche when you stern tie. .

Shop Secure Tite 2-in x 20-ft Tie Down at Lowes.com
Old 05-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #118

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Dave

As for the West Bay 58, the procedure is: Have SWMBO pull the stern tie line from the spool to the foredeck, stand on the bowsprit with the line in hand, step off onto the steep shore when the bowsprit reaches it, pass the line around the tree and step back onto the bowsprit, pull the line with her as she walks back to the swimgrid, all the while waiting as the boat is swung around, pay out more line as the boat is positioned for dropping the anchor, pull in the slack as the boat backs down on the anchor, tie off. The skipper doesn't leave the wheel.
Cool approach. Someone else may have said it, but stern tying is also courteous when you are in a small bay as it makes room for other boats. As for line dimension, 3/8 poly at least, looped around ring, rock or tree on shore, and passed back to and cleated to both stern cleats. Generally poly floats, but don't gun it or you can pull it under and wrap it around your gear--did that once towing a dinghy. It can be a challenge when the bottom drops off quickly but usually you would not try to anchor/tie there anyway. My technique is to drop anchor at a distance from shore so that when you have your stern pulled in, you have the appropriate scope for the depth. Once you have the anchor down, run the line ashore and back, then pull the boat toward shore until you have the boat as near shore as possible for available depth under your stern. You kind of play with the line/rode balance letting out more rode as you pull in and the result is you get to know whether you are truly set, and increase your scope as well. Kind of fun unless you get caught in a strong crosswind, in which case the line will "sing" all night long and I can tell you its a nerve wracking song at that. Good luck and don't get frustrated if it doesn't go well the first time.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #119
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
As an update!

It's now day 123 of our travels here on the Inside passage and have not used the stern tie system. But now that we are back in Desolation it may be used as the traffic is a Zoo!

Guess we got spoiled up North. ASD and us parked in Squirrel Cove last night along with at least 60 other boats.

Cheers everyone and thanks again for all the Ideas!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #120
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
As an update!

It's now day 123 of our travels here on the Inside passage and have not used the stern tie system. But now that we are back in Desolation it may be used as the traffic is a Zoo!

Guess we got spoiled up North. ASD and us parked in Squirrel Cove last night along with at least 60 other boats.

Cheers everyone and thanks again for all the Ideas!
This sure is a zoo. Never heard so much traffic on vhf 16
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote