Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #61
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Over the past couple of decades I can't remember having to use a big old live tree for a stern line.

Just be careful of looping a stern line around that big old log up on the beach...

On the hook; Blind Bay; fulla booms; old Bodega hitched to a boom whilst mom and pop go off. Tuggie tug chugs in...you know the drill.

We saved Bodega's butt and when they came back, I don't think they even realized.

I think most stern ties are done when the place turns into a Walmart lot. You know how it's done; go hide out, no stern line required. No, this is not Blind Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Tie.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	48259  
__________________
Advertisement

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #62
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
. However to date most of the few times we've had to stern tie there have been metal rings to use; Butchart Cove, Princess Cove, etc.

Marin,

Who installs and maintains the metal rings? From what I've seen of some quiet coves, a couple of concrete anchors could hold a D ring easily, leaving it for the next boater, and leaving the trees along.

Of course, that might piss off the rock huggers

Stu
__________________

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #63
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Marin,

Who installs and maintains the metal rings? From what I've seen of some quiet coves, a couple of concrete anchors could hold a D ring easily, leaving it for the next boater, and leaving the trees along.

Of course, that might piss off the rock huggers

Stu

I have no idea. Most of them seem to be in parks of some type or another, so I'm guessing the rings were put in by whoever administers the parks. Or perhaps the land around a cove is private and the landowner put them in. The ones we've used have been there long enough to be included in all the cruising guides we]ve used since 1998 so it's not a new thing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #64
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Does anybody use a lunch hook instead of the shore tie.
We use a stern anchor when there is room and the bottom is conducive to its use. But the places we've been where stern ties are the norm put the boats right up against a pretty steep, rocky shore and the water is usually quite deep right off that shore. If a stern anchor would even catch and hold on the bottom, the angle of the rode would be so steep that it wouldn't do much to hold the stern of the boat in place to eliminate most or all of the yawing, which is the whole point of the stern tie in the first place.

I just came across this shot from a few years ago of us moored up in Butchart Cove. Here one ties to a permanent mooring buoy (there are four of them in a line fairly close together) and runs a stern tie to a ring on shore. You can see how steeply the shore drops into the water and that gives an idea of the depth here. A stern anchor would be pretty useless in this situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Butchart.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	48263  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #65
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
...I just came across this shot from a few years ago of us moored up in Butchart Cove. Here one ties to a permanent mooring buoy (there are four of them in a line fairly close together) and runs a stern tie to a ring on shore. You can see how steeply the shore drops into the water and that gives an idea of the depth here....
Is it obligatory to stern tie in that Cove, perhaps due to space constraints, as provision of the permanent onshore ring suggests ? We have plenty of similar buoys, but there is never a need to stern tie.
Stern ties here usually appear when all moorings are taken and skippers exercise ingenuity to shoehorn their boat in.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #66
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones
Who installs and maintains the metal rings?
Don't know about other areas but around here they are mostly in Government Parks, either Federal or Provincial and the Parks Branch looks after them.

I say mostly because I'm sure we were not the only ones to carry around leftover Sakrete or Hydroplug and an assortment of ring bolts to make our own.

We were cheeky though and tossed a chunk of driftwood on them when we left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ringbolts.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	48264  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #67
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Is it obligatory to stern tie in that Cove, perhaps due to space constraints, as provision of the permanent onshore ring suggests ?
I don't know if it's obligatory but everyone we've talked to about the place says one should stern tie to avoid being swung into a neighboring boat or out into the narrow cove where a boat could obstruct the water taxis and floatplanes that bring visitors to the famous Butchart Gardens on the other side.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #68
Guru
 
rochepoint's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Marin,

Who installs and maintains the metal rings? From what I've seen of some quiet coves, a couple of concrete anchors could hold a D ring easily, leaving it for the next boater, and leaving the trees along.

Of course, that might piss off the rock huggers

Stu
BC Marine Parks Forever is now installing stern ties, here is a link http://www.marineparksforever.ca/BCM...rksPosters.pdf

A great organization......
__________________
Cheers
Mike Barge
MV Rochepoint
Sidney, British Columbia.
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #69
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
BC Marine Parks Forever is now installing stern ties, here is a link http://www.marineparksforever.ca/BCM...rksPosters.pdf

A great organization......
Thanks for correcting me.
Do they tend to the Federal Parks as well, do you know?
Parks Canada - Gulf Islands National Park Reserve - Facilities and Services
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #70
Guru
 
rochepoint's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Thanks for correcting me.
Do they tend to the Federal Parks as well, do you know?
Parks Canada - Gulf Islands National Park Reserve - Facilities and Services
Don't know about Federal Parks as I don't remember seeing stern tie rings in any Federal Parks. The BC Marine Parks forever has been instrumental in securing many areas as Provincial Marine parks, see attached as to their achievements........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parksmap.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	48273  
__________________
Cheers
Mike Barge
MV Rochepoint
Sidney, British Columbia.
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #71
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Don't know about Federal Parks as I don't remember seeing stern tie rings in any Federal Parks. The BC Marine Parks forever has been instrumental in securing many areas as Provincial Marine parks, see attached as to their achievements........
Maybe Portland Island is the only one with rings.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #72
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: somewhere
Country: Canada
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,662
Marine Parks Forever, who have seeded many of our B.C. Marine parks purchases, are now involved in seeding proper, well installed shore side rings. They do not actually do the work but are, through effective scrounging and bulk purchases, seeding B.C. Parks with the supplies to install good quality rings and the lines needed to make solid, secure shore ties available. The Parks staff are installing the rings.
It's going to take a few years but over time you will see more and more places with these rings/ropes, either as replacements or additions.

Many of the old ones had questionable installations and are simply getting old enough that the safety is in question.

As explained to us at an impromptu dockside meeting and then another at a CPS meeting they explained that suitable park locations have become too expensive to do what used to be done, help purchase property . Now they are going to focus on improving the existing parks by seeding the Parks Dept. with supplies.

There will be other improvements done as time goes on. Some will be mooring buoys if I remember correctly.

As for Butchart Cove, I asked when we were there last fall about the mooring buoys. They are Butchart Gardens buoys placed closely enough that one must shore tie unless you want to swing into another boat. ALso of course to allow more boats. The reason was as given earlier. People plugging access for the float planes and larger commercial passenger vessel access to the park entrance float.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #73
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/Portland
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
BC Marine Parks Forever is now installing stern ties, here is a link http://www.marineparksforever.ca/BCM...rksPosters.pdf

A great organization......
I can't seem to locate the link to buy the guide in the flyer, can you provide a link?
__________________
John & Tracey
Pairadice S4714
Mvpairadice.blogspot.com
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #74
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric
Marine Parks Forever, who have seeded many of our B.C. Marine parks purchases, are now involved in seeding proper, well installed shore side rings. They do not actually do the work but are, through effective scrounging and bulk purchases, seeding B.C. Parks with the supplies to install good quality rings and the lines needed to make solid, secure shore ties available. The Parks staff are installing the rings.
Thanks for the clarification, they are worthy of a donation.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #75
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
I can't seem to locate the link to buy the guide in the flyer, can you provide a link?

Marine Parks forever

PayPal at the bottom right if you prefer.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 AM   #76
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/Portland
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Marine Parks forever

PayPal at the bottom right if you prefer.
Thank you Sir, just donated to the cause.
__________________
John & Tracey
Pairadice S4714
Mvpairadice.blogspot.com
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #77
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
Those parks with rings are the ones that get the highest number of boats using the space. So far, I don't know of any in Desolation Sound Park, and wherever else we tie in the Desolation Sound area, there are none, so the old climb to the best tree or rock above high water is what is still necessary.

In some of the more crowded park anchorages, like Princess Cove, the stern tie rings are well used, and are spaced less than 100 feet apart along the rock wall, so anchoring and tying back is both simple and intuitive.
In Deep bay on Jedediah, the tie rings are a little too close together for my liking, so if the bay fills up at high tide, often happens that in the morning when everyone is just waking to the low tide, there is a goon time scramble, with people finding someone else's anchor across theirs as they try to leave. For this reason we rarely go there any more, but seek a quieter spot.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #78
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: somewhere
Country: Canada
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Those parks with rings are the ones that get the highest number of boats using the space. So far, I don't know of any in Desolation Sound Park, and wherever else we tie in the Desolation Sound area, there are none, so the old climb to the best tree or rock above high water is what is still necessary.

In some of the more crowded park anchorages, like Princess Cove, the stern tie rings are well used, and are spaced less than 100 feet apart along the rock wall, so anchoring and tying back is both simple and intuitive.
In Deep bay on Jedediah, the tie rings are a little too close together for my liking, so if the bay fills up at high tide, often happens that in the morning when everyone is just waking to the low tide, there is a goon time scramble, with people finding someone else's anchor across theirs as they try to leave. For this reason we rarely go there any more, but seek a quieter spot.


You will find that as time goes on tie rings/lines will be installed in Melanie Cove, The main anchorage of Prideaux Haven where the rock wall are too steep to scale. I believe Deep Bay, Jedediah Isl. is on the list. Princess Cove on Wallace. It's simply ability to garner supplies and the Parks Staff's ability and time to install the rings that will determine which park gets done when..
This program is quite new to all so individual parks may be down the list a ways.

Personally, I won't return to Deep Bay for the reasons stated. Maybe in the truly off season I'll try again. We anchored there, it was not busy, yet our anchor was fouled by another boat. It wasn't a problem as it turned out. The other folk were decent and smart enough to realize they likely had done that and stuck around to help when we left the next day. But it could have much to easily been otherwise.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #79
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
I don't know if I am in favour of putting rings into places like Melanie and Prideaux. Those anchorages are already so crowded that I won't go there except by dinghy, and putting rock rings in will only exascerbate that situation.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #80
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric
Personally, I won't return to Deep Bay for the reasons stated.
Don't know what size you are so maybe you can't answer.
Is Squitty Bay still too intimidating for most?
Haven't been in a long while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squitty Bay Narrows.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	48282  
__________________

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012