Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Get a 6' piece of 1" line of your choice and put a small loop (like a thimble) in one end and a 1' loop in the other. Loop this short line around the tree. Then run your shore line through both loops back to your boat. Put a monkey fist or some lumpy knot in the end of your shore line. When you want to leave, pull the line back in, the knot goes easily through the large loop and gets caught in the small hole, pulling the large line around the tree and in with the shore line.

This way you don't kill trees.
Had to read that one a few times to understand.....pretty damn good idea, thanks!

" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Xsbank, Nice idea. I like it.

However, some of the boats I have looked at don't have much for shore lines, certainly not enough to double it. On one boat I was on last year, the 600' reel barely made it back to the boat. I wonder if it's possible to have a remote release mechanism on a second line. I haven't tried any of these, just thinking online...

I originally thought of using a snap shackle (plus a float to keep it from sinking on retrieval) to connect a shore line to the other end of the tree line loop. Pull the release pin to disconnect the loops. You would need to make sure you could position the shackle so the release pin can be pointed toward the boat. Having it hanging downward might do it as the pull on the release line would lift it for releasing the pin.

I then thought of just using a quick release knot to connect the loop at the end of the tree line to a loop in the shore line. Use a quick release knot to connect the two loops. A mooring hitch might work. The end normally under tension would be tied to the shore line, the pull end would go back to the boat.

Some experimentation may be in order. I don't recall hearing this before and they seem a bit odd, but I wonder if either might be workable. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver
In the places we like to go, the boat israrely where I left it…
Why it’s good to know conditions before heading ashore. I’ve seen rowboats take so long to get ‘er done, by the time they head back the boat has swung a couple hundred feet farther away and they ran out of line. Can be entertaining but also another reason your deckhands should have at least simple boat handling skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank
Put a monkey fist or some lumpy knot in the end of your shore line….This way you don't kill trees.
Another good one and I take it you leave it rigged this way, with the 1” always attached by the lumpy knot, ready for next time??

Can’t say I fully agree with the 1” being much less harmful to the tree, than 3/8 or 1/2 other than it might take longer to “saw” into the bark.

All these ideas are good and it gives folkssomething more to add to the bag of tricks.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Can’t say I fully agree with the 1” being much less harmful to the tree, than 3/8 or 1/2 other than it might take longer to “saw” into the bark.
You could likely do something similar by adding large and small loops to the end of a tree strap. I wonder if those would float. Or, to make sure it floats, just braid your own tree strap with the loops already in it. It's been a very long time since I've done macrame and the line was quite a bit thinner then. Caveat: Once a rope loop is pulled tight, there is the possibility for a non-tapered 'knot' on the end to catch on the loop instead of passing through. Anything to build a cone in front of the knot might let it expand the larger loop to pass through more easily.
TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Stern anchor/shore Tie line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
Xsbank, Nice idea. I like it.

I then thought of just using a quick release knot to connect the loop at the end of the tree line to a loop in the shore line. Use a quick release knot to connect the two loops. A mooring hitch might work. The end normally under tension would be tied to the shore line, the pull end would go back to the boat.

Some experimentation may be in order. I don't recall hearing this before and they seem a bit odd, but I wonder if either might be workable. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

I've tried a "Scandinavian Hitch" aka, a Highwaymans hitch, once. Didn't trust it and looped the line before it got dark and went to sleep.

http://www.animatedknots.com/highwaymans/
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield
a remote release mechanism
snapshackle
pointed toward the boat.
quick release knot
Some experimentation may be in order
Stern ties are just another chore to get done before cracking a cold one, clam digging or both. Get ‘er done quickly, simply, using as little line, fuss and space as possible.

Still, I enjoy watching the MacGyver crowd. In the 70s I had a co-worker who spent entire, multiple summers and sleepless winter nights, trying to come up with the perfect wave pump at his lake cabin. He’s probably “up there” still looking down on that little piece of water and scratching his head, while his greatgrandkids are swimming by wondering what all those bits and pieces of scrap are on the bottom.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
[
Still, I enjoy watching the MacGyver crowd.
We have always used the simple "line to shore, through the ring/around the rock/etc, back to the boat" method. This makes retrieving the line very fast with no need to re-launch the dinghy and no delay between releasing and retrieving the stern line and moving out to retrieve the anchor. No delay means no time for the wind or current or both to swing the boat into something we don't want to be swung into.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
No delay means no time for the wind or current or both to swing the boat into something we don't want to be swung into.
Should have stated I enjoy watching the crowd from a distance.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #29

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
If one is concerned about damaging trees (and everyone should be) why not make (or have made for you) a simple strap to go around large trees? I used something similar in my car racing days which is commonly known as an "axle strap" but for this purpose you make it as long as you think you'll need. Buy a length of 3" nylon webbing, a couple of large "D" rings and along with a couple of passes with a HD sewing machine and voilà you're good to go.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
If one is concerned about damaging trees (and everyone should be) why not make (or have made for you) a simple strap to go around large trees? I used something similar in my car racing days which is commonly known as an "axle strap" but for this purpose you make it as long as you think you'll need. Buy a length of 3" nylon webbing, a couple of large "D" rings and along with a couple of passes with a HD sewing machine and voilà you're good to go.

Yup. Pretty much what I wrote in post 12. I use an old industrial rigging strap.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Yup. Pretty much what I wrote in post 12. I use an old industrial rigging strap.
MacGyver Rigging Line | Tree Saver | Winch Extension - 20' - Master Pull
Old 01-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #32
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
The fly in the ointment with stern ties is you need to release them. If you have to paddle in to shore you are not on your boat (duh) and therefore not in control. Departing a shore tie in a wind or adverse current needs to be done from the boat, the line must be a floating line lest while maneuvering you get it stuck in your wheel. Also, I can't see how you could retrieve that strap, from the boat, and besides it would not float with those metal fittings.

If you use the method I proposed above it will not "saw" through the tree at all, the stern line will move through the loops.

Those flat straps that some are using for stern ties are cool for storage and strength but even twisting them will not stop the racket they make in a wind. They are in the same obnoxious anchorage group as jet skis......
Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #33

Call me a cheapo but $56 bucks for one of their "tree saver" straps... Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with the DIY type I described in my post above... 10 feet of 3" webbing plus two 3" D rings for about $15... plus cost of labor to sew it if you don't have access to a sewing machine.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #34
Guru

Stern anchor/shore Tie line

Agree. I'm too cheap too. Old nylon rigging slings are free! May not be able to lift 20 tonnes anymore, but can easily hold my boat to a tree or rock.

I like Xsbanks idea too.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
............ Also, I can't see how you could retrieve that strap, from the boat,......
Easy Peezy... Use two 300' shore lines instead of one 600' line, then simply take an end of each of the two lines to shore and secure one end to a D ring and the end of the second line to the other D ring. Now when you release one of the two lines from your boat you pull everything back to the boat. Note: If you're worried about the strap and D rings sinking simply tie a small float to one, or both, of the D rings.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Agree. I'm too cheap too. Old nylon rigging slings are free! May not be able to lift 20 tonnes anymore, but can easily hold my boat to a tree or rock.
and you are recycling.
The MacGyver link was facetiousness and as I was reading through this I wondered how many yellow straps and towels are left in the bush?

I still like the loop and lumpy knot idea. Like a simple line around an object, this also comes back to the boat without going ashore...the whole idea.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #37
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Have seen quite a few starting to carry "flat rope", a complete package is made by ULTRAline (or Quickline) Flat Rope & Reel.
Good read so far and some things to think about. I have some 600' of old 1/2 anchor line I was just going to put a few floats on, then use a Lowes hose reel.

Funny story about the above flat line on a real nice SS reel. A friend of mine bought one at the boat show a few years ago and he was so proud of it. Showing everyone his new "expensive" accessory. We all know such a guy right?

He is somewhere in Desolation Sound and has his first opportunity to show off his "new accessary." Little breezy that day, so as he is running his new accessory to shore in the dinghy, his wife was in the wheel house using the transmissions to keep the boat straight. He's running to shore......then all of a sudden he starts heading back to the boat involuntarily!!! He is screaming bloody murder at her, she can't hear him. Seems the "new accessory" got caught in one of the props and was pulling him back to the boat. She finally sees the wake of the dinghy and puts the transmission in neutral. Seems the power of the boat prop was more powerful than the 25hp he had on the dink.....

Lucky for him there was a diver in the cove and he was able to cut the strap off the prop and shaft. He later asked me if I wanted the reel, slightly bent for free! Nope, I will have 600' of yellow poly!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
....as I was reading through this I wondered how many yellow straps and towels are left in the bush?
In some discussion I read or heard many years ago about protecting tree bark from damage from a stern tie line the suggestion was made to have some rectangles of cotton toweling on board and put one between the line and the tree when setting up the stern tie. When the line is pulled free on departure the piece of fabric simply drops to the ground and is left there, either to rot away or be used by other people securing to the same tree.

We use a towel with a couple of short sections of twine tied through grommets we put in each end of the towel. When the stern line is put around the tree the towel is folded double and positioned between the line and the bark and the twine at each end of the towel is tied to the stern line. When we leave pulling the stern line in pulls the towel along with it. Simple and effective with no need to go back to shore to unfasten or retrieve anything.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank
If you use the method I proposed above it will not "saw" through the tree at all, the stern line will move through the loops.
I said nothing about your setup sawing through a tree but, 2 twangy taught stern lines, fed through a secondary loop around a tree, especially a smooth skinned tree, like an Alder, could move around the tree the same as a single line. But no harm done either way and the line will probably sustain more damage over time than the tree
Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #40
Guru

It’s nice to see an interest in making our presence as inconspicuous as possible and we should all do our part because caring about nature is long overdue.

But really, how many trees has anyone here seen killed by a stern line? Other than the ones pulled out by the roots.

Woodpeckers and bears take more hide off a tree with an afternoon snack than a summer of stern lines and the trees survive quite nicely.

How many decades old trees are there on our coast with cables, dogs, and even bullblocks embedded in them? The bark has healed the trees like the human skin does.

Whatever you think it takes to be gentle is fine with me and good for you all that you think about it.

Those towels left behind for the next guy, if not chosen wisely, could potentially cause more environmental harm than a line around the tree.

The disease, bacteria and pathogen laced dog scat left behind does more environmental damage than a line around a tree. Unless, when the dog is on vacation, it is into roots, bark, ants and huckleberries.

20 gen sets in a windless cove…semantics now and I do smile at how they have trained us to be so caring about the trees we see while raping the streams and fracking the aquifer, behind them.

So Al Gore-ish