Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #41
Veteran Member
City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Using the wind and current

I have a single screw, 42 foot displacement trawler. One Ford Lehman, on big rudder.

I am berthed with a slip where the current runs up to 6 knots up river or down river depending on the tide. The down river current is faster. The current runs fore and aft, my boat is pointing up river when berthed. The wind is usually blowing on the beam. I am 4 slips in from the open water.

Leaving is easy, I usually leave on a falling tide and when I back up I can just pivot with the current and turn and exit with no problem.

Coming into the berth is difficult. I am always coming in with the tide, although I try to time it at high slack, and the current is pushing me into my berth. This often kicks my aft end away from my dock. I dock port side in when going in forward.

What I find I have to do is line up really straight before entering my berth. When I am positioned out side my berth, lined up and straight I have time to make a better attempt at berthing.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #42
City: gulf coast
If you have a large rudder driving the boat backwards may be possible but you will need to have some way on. In a calm area try going in reverse until the boat gains some speed then see it responds to the rudder. At first it will turn to port due to propwalk but keep going faster and see what happens. Try shifting to neutral if it doesn't work to kill prop walk.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #43
City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: Northstar
Vessel Model: Willard 40
Soon after buying my Willard 40 I found it difficult to maneuver at slow speed in tight quarters. The Willard is a heavy vessel (20 plus tons) and has a full length deep keel. Cut and fill is a necessary technique for sure but I needed something more effective. The following year I installed an articulating rudder -- wow! What a difference that made. At idle I literally could turn the boat in her own length. Also possible to "kick" the stern (starboard walk) against the dock when a stiff breeze was pushing us away...almost like a stern thruster. But this benefit presented a new problem -- as the stern came in the bow moved away from the dock making it difficult to get a bow line fastened (the Willard hull is curved like a broad beamed sail boat's). Though I had resisted for many years, I finally I had a big bow thruster installed before a trip to Alaska. Again, Wow! Now I use the rudder and (sometimes) the thruster together to do virtually anything I want, regardless of wind, currents, or tight quarters. These "aides" are greatly appreciated, especially as we get older and less agile, but what hasn't changed is the necessity to understand and use the physical laws of nature when operating our vessels. For me, close quarters maneuvering has always been half the fun of boating.

nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote