Steering cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
The boat I’m looking to buy has pretty stiff steering.
I can see under the stern hatch a large pulley with a 3/8 to 1/2 inch cable passing around it and entering the cable casings. I assume the large pulley is at the head of the rudder post. Not knowing why the steering is stiff I thought it might be good to first lubricate the cable in its sheath. Any good recommendations for a spray lube I might be able to get in side the tubes?
I guess I can remove the cable from the pulley and see how much pressure it takes to turn the pulley manualy and at the same time move the steering wheel to see if the stiffness is gone. If not it could still be the cables or other hardware closet to the helm or perhaps where the auto pilot engages the steering. The boat will be new to me in a week or so when the sale is complete. I’m just looking ahead to try and gets some answers.
All a guessing game. Are there lubricants recommended for steering gear?
I assume the 2 ends is the cable terminate up by the helm somewhere. Do they have someway to be tensioned?
I will need to see if there is anyway lubricate the rudder post as well.
The boat is old, a 1977 40’ Schucker M/S and has been sitting for a awhile. It might just need som use!
Does any of this sound like a good plan?
Thanks Bones

Last edited:
The boat I’m looking to buy has pretty stiff steering.

I will need to see if there is anyway lubricate the rudder post as well.

The boat is old, a 1977 40’ Schucker M/S and has been sitting for a awhile. It might just need some use!

Does any of this sound like a good plan?

Thanks Bones

Hi Bones - I just watched a vid on similar to boat you are purchasing [nice craft!]:

Yes there are ways to air pressure force lubes into cable encasements so the lube comes out other end. Stiffness you feel may be otherwise regarding at the pilot wheel's numerous apparatus parts and/or at the rudder's numerous apparatus parts.

Go into "search" feature on top of TF page. Seek cable lubrication and other descriptions like that. Some years ago there was robust chat on lubricating old throttle and shift cables on vintage Morse control boxes.

Good Luck!

Art

Last edited:
Very nice boat. Thanks for the video an thanks to all for the hints and links.
Bones

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom