Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Are you still "on the dry"?
Nope...been underway for 3 weeks and have covered near 600 miles...Jersey to South Carolina.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
When my boat was delivered from Ft. Lauderdale to Marina Del Rey, CA they lost one engine near Cuba and ran all the way to the canal on one. It can happen.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I run my boats on one engine regularly, mostly because at the time that is all that is required and I get better fuel milage. At low displacement type speeds it also puts a better load on one engine. I dont use one engine in close quarters where I need to manuver. I have come in on one a few times, definitely not my favorite thing to do. I usually try to catch the first available dock to tie to in that situation. But I have put it in the slip on one a time or two. Bumped the pilings more than I like but no real problem.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #24

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
You will find that the smaller rudder(s) just require a different skill set from your sailing days. Copious use of forward and reverse at slow speeds is required for maneuvering as opposed to simply relying on the giant rudder you had which was effective at 1 knot.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #25
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Many fish boats that transit from Ca to AK , simply remove one prop for the journey.
Most, if not all, fishboats that transit past me have a single screw...

Why the hell do you guys who buy a twin want to run on a single anyways? Why not just buy a single... Frick.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Most, if not all, fishboats that transit past me have a single screw...

Why the hell do you guys who buy a twin want to run on a single anyways? Why not just buy a single... Frick.
Gilligan – I you’ll recall...l the SS Minnow was ship wrecked on the Island because its single engine failed during untoward weather conditions! Leaving it at the wills of the sea!! With NO backup power to get it home... lol

Before you ask "why the hell" twin engine “Pleasure” Boat users don’t just get a single engine “pleasure” boat and therefore not have the redundancy factor as well as the many twin screw usage parameters available... I suggest you get a twin and experience the enjoyment, backup security, and speed if necessary that “pleasure” boat twins afford.

The reason we twin owners shut one engine down (if we feel like it) simply to make our twin screw “pleasure” boats as just about as fuel-affordable as a single engine “pleasure” boat during our slow speed lackadaisical cruises – Is, Because We CAN! In other words twin screw boats provide propulsion options that singles just don’t. Docking/maneuvering and powering up with twins is a snap! And, we’ve always got a get home engine at our avail if the other engine becomes problematic. Commercial fishing (real-life trawlers) and other hard working “Work” Boats are a completely different story than "Pleasure" Boats...

Now, I’m not trying to say that single engine boats don’t also have their applaudable attributes, cause I’ve owned singles too and really enjoyed them; especially the full keel and skeg for prop protection. What I am saying is that single screw boaters need not trash twin screw owners! Or vice versa!!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers
We troll using one engine as it gets the speed a little lower, not an issue in handling, just little less responsive.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
I've read some posts that indicate that you can have transmission problems by running on just one engine. Do you leave the off engine in gear, neutral, reverse? I still haven't sold my sailboat, so this question is relevant to me in my looking as single and twin screw boats.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Myers
I believe there are some that it is a problem, I spoke to my transmission manufacturer and they stated it was not an issue, I also call my drip-less shaft seal company and they said under 12 knots you do not need cooling water.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
We troll using one engine as it gets the speed a little lower, not an issue in handling, just little less responsive.
Well that makes sense.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
FF
Guru

the claim of pulling screws for the transit

Can easily be observed IF you regularly read National Fisherman.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
the claim of pulling screws for the transit

Can easily be observed IF you regularly read National Fisherman.
How about a cite or three to show that.

Considering that a twin engine boat is a rarity in the Alaska fishery and the number of those with owners in California who hold permits is even smaller, the numbers don't support such a claim.

The logistics of such a stunt, not to mention the wisdom of intentionally disabling half the propulsion at the start of a 1500 mile voyage leaves a bit of a credibility gap don't you think?

The makeup of the Alaska commercial fishing fleet makes that stunt even more unlikely ... not to say there are not one or two people floating around who think doing that makes sense but "many" is a ridiculous claim. Have a look at the type of boats that fish in Alaska and let us know how many have twin engines for a start, then look at the number of permits held by Californians and I am pretty confident that the term "many" could not possibly include more than about 3 and I seriously doubt any of them are stupid enough to disable half their propulsion because they think it might save a couple of hundred bucks in fuel.

Perhaps one or two of our Alaska members will chime in and describe the makeup of the Alaska fishing fleet they see every day.

Others might get some idea by looking at the boats here as they are representative of the fleet.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #33
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I have learned a bunch over the past few weeks about my future in boating. For that I want to thank you guys for your "enlightenment"

Learned;

1. I need to re-power or sell my diesel powered boat due to the high cost of filters and upkeep as I will not be able to affore the diesel and it's not better then gas anyway and gas is cheaper to run, fix, maintain and it even cooks the dinner for me. I heard steam was the way to go perhaps if made with splitting atoms it could get above 10% efficiency, damn that external combustion.

2. I need to get a twin as all trawlers now have twin gas engines that are then run one at a time to save cost (perhaps to buy pay off the previous filter debt).

3. you don't really need shaft cooling unless running above 12knots regardless as to the shaft rpm to get there, cool that's makes things simple and now I will always have a dry bilge whodathunk?

4. Thrusters are for wimps, real men run one of those twins unless docking then start up the.... what do you call it the back up or docking engine? but really think thrusters are cheating.

5. Exposed props and shafts are protected by em-blazing things on your mind soooo now I'm off to the store to get one of them em-blazing things, I have a lot of em-blazing to do as I have only average luck.

6. adding cool pictures of boats and stuff is not really adding anything to the chatter on a..... wait for it..... boat forum.

7. Modern diesel engines have been surpassed by modern gas engines and due to the EPA diesels are ruined so we should be seeing less and less of then in autos and over the road trucks as gas they will all be replaced by gas small blocks.

8. No critters were harmed in the making of this post but a tongue was firmly pushed through a cheek with only a slight loss of blood, that is in no way effected by ETOH added to gas and if you only use it fast enough it is great stuff and will in no way hurt your fuel system. Just fill up every other day and life will be great.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
FF
Guru

Tounge in cheek or not a spark engine that will use kerosene , that does not have the diesel weight or noise is on the way.

Yes they did dual fuels way way back , but this will be with modern efficiency.

First for small aircraft , then perhaps for cars .
Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Tounge in cheek or not a spark engine that will use kerosene , that does not have the diesel weight or noise is on the way.

Yes they did dual fuels way way back , but this will be with modern efficiency.

First for small aircraft , then perhaps for cars .

To late, diesel is already lighter and quieter has the high compression efficiency and is here now.... oh and already flying and using JP-4/5 they will replace spark ignition in the next 20 years and aviation fuel will be a thing of the past.

With more bio-fuel and the reduction in refining needs for compression engines I believe the peak of spark engins is already uppon us and will decline as advances in compression ignition advances.

Spark ignition has peaked and is already in decline.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brico View Post
Thank you guys for all the replies, so i guess ending with one engine due to other one breaking down is not that much of a trouble.
True of most boats. My semi-planning hull boat with big engines and 2 very small rudders handles just fine on one engine and I have cruised extensively on one engine to save fuel. The autopilot has no trouble keeping course on one engine.
However I would not purposely dock my boat on one engine for two reasons. I have no practice doing this and I have tow boatUS insurance.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
the reduction in refining needs for compression engines ...
What does that mean?

Quote:
Spark ignition has peaked and is already in decline.
Some reading of the literature on natural gas fueled engines might be in order.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I have learned a bunch over the past few weeks about my future in boating. For that I want to thank you guys for your "enlightenment"

Learned;

1. I need to re-power or sell my diesel powered boat due to the high cost of filters and upkeep as I will not be able to affore the diesel and it's not better then gas anyway and gas is cheaper to run, fix, maintain and it even cooks the dinner for me. I heard steam was the way to go perhaps if made with splitting atoms it could get above 10% efficiency, damn that external combustion.

2. I need to get a twin as all trawlers now have twin gas engines that are then run one at a time to save cost (perhaps to buy pay off the previous filter debt).

3. you don't really need shaft cooling unless running above 12knots regardless as to the shaft rpm to get there, cool that's makes things simple and now I will always have a dry bilge whodathunk?

4. Thrusters are for wimps, real men run one of those twins unless docking then start up the.... what do you call it the back up or docking engine? but really think thrusters are cheating.

5. Exposed props and shafts are protected by em-blazing things on your mind soooo now I'm off to the store to get one of them em-blazing things, I have a lot of em-blazing to do as I have only average luck.

6. adding cool pictures of boats and stuff is not really adding anything to the chatter on a..... wait for it..... boat forum.

7. Modern diesel engines have been surpassed by modern gas engines and due to the EPA diesels are ruined so we should be seeing less and less of then in autos and over the road trucks as gas they will all be replaced by gas small blocks.

8. No critters were harmed in the making of this post but a tongue was firmly pushed through a cheek with only a slight loss of blood, that is in no way effected by ETOH added to gas and if you only use it fast enough it is great stuff and will in no way hurt your fuel system. Just fill up every other day and life will be great.

Another "Quick Learner"! - LOL x 10

PS: Happy 2014 New Year - VERY SOON!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #39

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
it has happened to me several times with a recurring failure that took several years to find...no big deal...more labor to steer but manageable...very frustrating tho...
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #40

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
and as long as this has turned into a single/double debate...this is my 1st twin boat and i love the maneuverability of such a large boat...it was a priority for me when i went looking for a large boat and I dont regret it. One engine by choice when trolling but to save fuel..? not if I want even wear and descent cruising speed of 8kn.

Closed Thread