Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
700,000+ litres?

That's one cheap supertanker

But unlike a supertanker, this one has 4 prime movers, sleeps 80, and a movie theater.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #62
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
But unlike a supertanker, this one has 4 prime movers, sleeps 80, and a movie theater.
The extra info required, thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/194...owse%20listing

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #63
Guru

Someone already harvested the anchors, for some reason. Maybe Rocnas will fit in there?

I think 40 or 50 of us on this forum could make a go with this. Start up a go-fund-me and start cleaning plastic out of the Pacific or some related green activity. Deck cranes, diesel ribs; would be great fun. Need a captain, any nominations? 100T won't do it....
In 5 years when we tire of it, it will sell to a org that will clean it up and sink it for dive tourists somewhere
Old 06-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #64

City: Key Largo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
The truly nasty weather was the last three days into Ireland.
But that's what you get at the end of August on the North Atlantic.

Crossing the North Sea at the end of September was also "interesting".

The 6,000 mile stretch between North Africa and the Panama Canal is a one time event, that I won't miss nor repeat.

Waiting in port for favorable weather is the worst however.

...head winds.
Is there a thread on that journey? Thanks
homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #65

City: Key Largo
Let me clarify a couple things.
I'm not hell bent on crossing an ocean. I just assumed that was the only way to see the South Pacific Islands and/or the Greek Isles in my own vessel. I honestly didn't think about the shipping option.
Another question....do you still need a "ocean going trawler" if you ship the boat and sail around Europe? Same thing with the Bahamas and the Caribbean? I've done the Bahamas several times in my own boats but I have never ventured into the Trawler world. I guess I'm simply ignorant on the differences between a coastal cruising trawler and an Ocean going one? Is it recommended for those in the USA to cruise the Bahama Islands and even stretch it to the Caribbean Islands in a coastal Trawler?
homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeby5 View Post
Is there a thread on that journey? Thanks
Blog in the signature
Old 06-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #67
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
USCGC Acushnet already has a go fund me page.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #68
Guru

Wow. I didnt know that!
Old 06-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #69
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I guessing you've not spent much time on the AICW. One of the common complaints about sailboaters is that many don't monitor the radio.
Ted
Actually, I have cruised the ICW, at least partially, from Florida to Oriental NC. It was one of my Bucket List items, & the only one that disappointed me. Not all sailboaters are cruisers, & I imagine that daysailors may not be aware of the radio protocols.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Actually, I have cruised the ICW, at least partially, from Florida to Oriental NC. It was one of my Bucket List items, & the only one that disappointed me. Not all sailboaters are cruisers, & I imagine that daysailors may not be aware of the radio protocols.
That's the interesting point....it's not just the daysaiors....it's many cruisers who should know better...especially on the AICW.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #71
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeby5 View Post
Let me clarify a couple things.
I'm not hell bent on crossing an ocean. I just assumed that was the only way to see the South Pacific Islands and/or the Greek Isles in my own vessel. I honestly didn't think about the shipping option.
Another question....do you still need a "ocean going trawler" if you ship the boat and sail around Europe? Same thing with the Bahamas and the Caribbean? I've done the Bahamas several times in my own boats but I have never ventured into the Trawler world. I guess I'm simply ignorant on the differences between a coastal cruising trawler and an Ocean going one? Is it recommended for those in the USA to cruise the Bahama Islands and even stretch it to the Caribbean Islands in a coastal Trawler?
You require less boat to cruise around Europe on in the Bahamas or to the Eastern Caribbean than you do to cross an ocean. Two of the biggest factors are:

1-Range
2-Weather window

Crossing oceans requires fuel range of over 2000 nm. Crossing oceans takes typically 14 days or so, although can be more or less but it's long enough that weather can change considerably during your trip and that your ability to bail out and get back to safety is very limited.

You could easily spend years along the coasts, do the Big U, then do the Eastern Caribbean, then ship the boat to the Mediterranean and from there cruise Europe for a few years. Next ship it to the South Pacific and enjoy Australia and New Zealand for a few years.

Another approach is to get the boat that will do everything but cross oceans, ship it, then if at some point crossing oceans is essential to your pleasure, upgrade, but by then perhaps you have a better knowledge of what is required and more skill and experience yourselves.

We've done a tremendous amount of cruising the last 6 1/2 years, over 100,000 nm and my wife and I both are 500 Ton Captains and we do intend to cross oceans. However, we wouldn't dare head across the Atlantic by ourselves in any boat today. We don't have the mechanical experience ourselves and I'm not talking just normal maintenance, but how to handle emergency needs in the middle of an ocean, so we'd want an engineer or that type and the first time would like someone who has crossed with us. Plus, and this is personal, but we'd want more than two persons capable of operating the boat aboard. At the least we'd want three so at least we'd only have to do eight hours a day each. To actually enjoy the crossing probably more. If you're fighting elements, fighting fatigue, fighting lack of sleep, then what fun is it anyway? Mark Pierce will tell you to go on a cruise ship. I don't agree with that, but then I don't agree with the idea of just trying to prove what you can do without help.

When I see someone talking about crossing oceans so early in the process it scares me a bit. I think of those on the sailing site who say just go do it because they can tell you all those who did so and survived with no experience. They don't tell you those who failed or those who died trying. Just in North America, without even including the Bahamas but you would have to go through Central America to get from one area to another, you can cover 20,000 nm before you ever go to a place the second time.

We've done 100,000 nm and only been in North America and the Caribbean, and Central America as we used the Panama Canal to get from one side to the other and we've only touched the surface. If you're in an 8 knot boat, just think how long that would take you. While seeing other parts of the world sounds wonderful, there's years worth to see here.

One other concept is to get the boat to cruise this area and then go to Europe one year and rent a canal boat or charter for a while or go to Australia and charter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are year's of fresh, exciting, new boating to do before you ever exhaust what's near and even need to think of crossing an ocean.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:39 PM   #72
Guru

Another thing to consider if going remote is you almost need to be able to carry the makings for a spare boat and know how to assemble it.
Spares, service and help are pretty much non existent.
Much of the Pacific Isles you cant even get fish hooks let alone engine parts

I guess you could place an order with John Frum Cargo Services though I hear he is a bit slow.
I hear the wait so far has been at least 60 years (-;
Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #73
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
The world is such a very big place
So much to see but not enough hours in a lifetime to do it.
We've only ever gone 1000 miles out to New Caledonia and Vanuatu on our boats, so no more than a week away sometimes less on passage and that, we can get a pretty reliable weather window for or at least we have done in every run to date.

Thankfully, to our north is New Guinea, Solomons, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, Philippines and onwards.
Several lifetimes worth of adventure land cruising only 3 days away from jump off and mostly, bugger all wind.
Simi....have you found a good cruising guide(s) to those areas north of us ?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #74
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's the interesting point....it's not just the daysaiors....it's many cruisers who should know better...especially on the AICW.

And it is the power boaters, who should also know better, who consistently knocked us catawampus with their wakes while passing. However, that is only one of the reasons I hated traveling the ICW, & chose the outside wherever possible. My sweetspot has always been at least 200 miles offshore. (Note that I was only a sailor mid-boating career, am not one now, & have never understood the hostility between the two groups just based on methods of locomotion.)
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
And it is the power boaters, who should also know better, who consistently knocked us catawampus with their wakes while passing. However, that is only one of the reasons I hated traveling the ICW, & chose the outside wherever possible. My sweetspot has always been at least 200 miles offshore. (Note that I was only a sailor midboating career, am not one now, & have never understood the hostility between the two groups just based on methods of locomotion.)

I don't understand it either other than civilization has lost sight of what that really means.

There are plenty of coneheads on both sides.

An equal number of sailors are clueless to passing and whiners about the slightest of wakes. I complain too...but I fully understand the dynamics and accept what are my limitations. Oh, not mentioning that both sides seem to think because they draft more than 4 feet they are entitled to the middle of the ICW and everyone else can skirt the edge.

People say there are more DS's on the powerboaters side...but my poll says that by percentages...I am starting to think sailors are the real problem as they "claim" to be better boaters...but they sure aren't proving it to me anymore.

PS..my last boat trip was a 3 day offshore trip a few months back. I was on a Catalina 42 and the 2 "sailors" I was with, both good friends and lifelong sailors.... expect me to keep them out of trouble....and to know the regs

Plus this is a topic for a million other threads as it will haunt us all for well past our boating lives.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Simi....have you found a good cruising guide(s) to those areas north of us ?
So much that I have information overload .

Most derived from hours of trawling through the internet and boat blogs of cruisers in the area.

Much of the information relies on using opencpn and cm93 for charting as ALL charting systems, paper, navionics, C-map, everything are notoriously unreliable so getting conversant with kap overlays is essential

These three links have the majority of the good stuff
I have pulled about 100gb of satellite kap files, cruising guides , routes, anchorages, cruising notes and more from these

Cruising Info

Yacht Valhalla SEA collection

http://svsoggypaws.com/files/index.htm#se-asia

Another list of blogs to trawl through

Sail Indonesia

There is this book, I haven't bought it as yet and may not as I believe I have gleaned far more info from the above links

https://www.southeastasiapilot.com/
Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #77
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte
check out Smoke and Roses on the internet.Dan and Agnes just finished an around the world trip on their catamaran.
They are in Punta Gorda FL I'm sure they would be happy to give you lots of info and insights about making the trip!
cabinetman1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #78

City: Florida
check out www.mvmojo.com. Robert Beebe designed, Canadian built in a commercial/military yard. Lots of redundancy. Long range trawler with paravane stabilization.
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #79
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Smile

Quote:
I cruised for several years on a sturdy fast-sailing Bruce Bingham designed double-ended 35 ft. cutter-rigged sailboat. I recognize you have your heart set on a trawler, but please, for the sake of your wallet, consider exploring the possibility of joining the vast majority of circumnavigators who combine sail & power in their journeys. There is much to be said for for quiet passages & anchorages, as well as the comrades encountered on the way. Yes, there are buddy boats for passage makings, & that is how I've made most passages, & it is the safest method underway, though an actual flotilla is not usual. However, it is not unusual to meet up with the same boats in various ports. My skipper & I once met a guy while hitch-hiking in the back of a pickup on the way to a pizza joint in Costa Rica; the following year we ran into him & his wife in Cartagena. A couple of years later they visited us in North Carolina. Later we managed to meet up in Washington, DC, New York, & even London. The final time the four of us got together was at his burial at Arlington. My skipper now also rests in a military cemetery, but I still visit his widow at least once a year in California. It turned out that for over a decade we had lived just around the corner from each other there, but had never met until that night in the back of the pickup truck. I would think it much easier to connect with buddies if you were in a sailboat. Most bluewater cruisers are sailors, & in my experience most powerboaters & sailors who cruise just don't mix all that much socially. Sad, but true. Don't believe that sailboats can't be comfortable. Even though my boat wasn't all that large, it had an aft cabin & a workshop. I'm boat shopping for a trawler-type boat right now, up to 49 ft. & haven't come across one yet with a workshop. Just keep an open mind, & enjoy your journey!
I completely agree with the sage advice offered here. We lived aboard for 4 years on a 49'sailboat with a good auxiliary engine and crossed the atlantic twice and although we did not go all the way round the world, we went halfway round and came back the same way so covered a similar distance. Dollar for Dollar a sailboat of quality construction is inherently more capable of offshore or ocean passages, fuel costs are significantly less as in our case we sailed approx 50% of the time only using fuel for the genset. sail boaters overwhelming outnumber motorboaters on these adventures for a number of very good reasons. The one thing I would disagree with is that the motor boaters we did meet were equally friendly and gregarious, social as the yachties! check out our blog for tips on places, anchorages etc. Alan & Joan's adventures sailing Moonstruck from America to the Mediterranean. Joan Teed's Art.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #80

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
Before we began to cross oceans, I felt we needed certain qualifications; I choose pilot house motor sailors. Boats which could do 8 knots under power and sail--not too many of this type--and have a range under power of over 2500 miles.

I am an MD, My wife an RN. We had built several boats. I had already sailed across oceans on others boats. I had a general class Ham license and had built several radios from scratch. I had built my own refrigeration and freezing systems. I had designed and built my own electrical systems. I had enough knowledge to make most parts necessary--carried some power tools, including a welder, and drill press. I started with all new components, and had backups for every system aboard. For example, we had two complete auto pilots, with spares. We had copper tubing, flare fittings, "rubber" and "Plastic" hoses, with fittings which would replace all of the fittings. Basically we knew how to build a boat, and the systems which went into it.

A large Diesel engine, with back up of sails was what we chose. But the boat sailed across the Atlantic both ways--the engine was there, and available if necessary.

We had built a 38 foot "world cruising boat"--and after a 5 months shakedown cruise my very wise wife, told me that if we got a larger pilot house boat, and tried to stay in warm weather she would go with me anywhere.

Our boats were 46 and 62 LOA. We often sailed with just the two of us as crew. But on ocean passages, we preferred to have another sailing couple with us. Both of us were versed in celestial navigation and I had navigated to Hawaii and a lot of costal trips.

In the past, there were fewer voyagers, because it was more difficult. Today, you can buy a boat "ready to go"--included are charts of the world, and a GPS which shows where you are with in feet anyplace on Earth. You have an EPRIB which will summon aid from anywhere in the world (as to how long it will take--often an AMVER Merchant vessel--is a different story.)

You can see "how to do it" by watching U tube videos....often they are "silly" and in-appropriate. These folks have not got into any real difficulty, because they stayed away from areas with storms, etc.

The Fantisy vs the Reality is a whole gap. However, the PO is a person who has considerable experience. Many have mentioned his wife--and I would ask the same questions--what is her experience offshore? What capabilities does she bring to the table ?

The Nordhavn 46 is a capable motor sailor type. As is the Cal 46 (modified).

As for cruising Europe--there are several ways. We crossed the Atlantic Florida to Bermuda, Azores and Rota Sp. Then spent time going around the periphery of the MED. Next a thrash up the West Coast of Europe--and it can be a rough trip--watch the weather. A relaxing time in the Baltic.

The other way is with a boat capable of doing the Canals. There are some which are seaworthy enough to also do the med, and then using canals move to the Baltic.

Even though I have owned trawlers, I feel that a motor sailor is the most comfortable, and perhaps the safest way to go around the world--or cross major oceans. I think that mid 40's is the easiest for a couple and some times crew.

Good luck with your planing--and trip.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote