Starting our long range plan to cruise around world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have only run from New England to the Carib non stop a few times , but the ocean is the ocean, far less dangers than inshore .

Sure bad weather is a common fear & PIA , but once the style of using the vessel for the weather conditions is found its only time spent that might be uncomfortable , a good warm, dry sea berth and a good book takes care of most of it.

In sailboats the self steering gear is probably the difference between an enjoyable passage and a whole bunch of work.

The autopilot is one key to ocean motoring , clean fuel probably the prime key.

Few diesels simply disintegrate if the have been run a few hundred hours and are monitored for water/oil etc.

The ocean work I have done was comfortable with a crew of 3 , using 3 on, 6,off for watch standing.

Assuming a crews competent with along shore traveling the transition to offshore ocean work is not a big deal.

The vessel will need suitable scantlings, storm ports? enough fuel and other storage , but books will cover other folks experiences enough to be aware of the requirements.

Its just not that big a deal , after the first storm and week of travel you will know if its for you.
Sorry, not even remotely the same thing. Transiting the coast offshore has you a couple of days at most from safe harbor. With good radio communication equipment, medical emergency evacuation time is measured in hours. Getting a commercial tow if you become disabled is a real option. Weather forecasting options are many 10 times better. In short, when transiting the along the coast you have many options. Crossing the ocean leaves you with few options when Mr. Murphy shows up.

Ted

"Sorry, not even remotely the same thing""Crossing the ocean leaves you with few options when Mr. Murphy shows up."

Of course there is the O' Tool version ," Murphy was an optimist.'

Near shore the water will usually be shallower , so the waves may be shorter and steeper , rougher on the boat , and the stomach.

Offshore the longer fetch usually gives a better ride as there is more distance between the waves.
Bigger waves make boats go up and down more and side to side less, again easier on the boat and stomach.

Along shore more boats may be showing lights , towing , fishing , dredging , so there will be higher stress.

Offshore almost every vessel you see is WAY bigger than yours , do not argue with the Esso Maru, just make a course change that will keep well clear..

Even in this economy with the biggies running slower most are still only 10-20 min from when you can see them till there gone.

Weather windows are great for a couple of days , at 100-150 miles a day even a small passage is beyond the ability of most forecasters , although traveling in the "right" direction in the "right" season is good insurance.

Not even the bird farm is having fun in the North Atlantic in mid winter.

"Ship Captains Medical Guide" is good to have aboard , and a first aid kit
.A SSB or ham radio might assist in other problems.

Most folks are self reliant and do not wish to travel in a pack , where electricians can swim over for an assist.

Last edited:
There are salvage companies that travel the world...at some point though the costs involved may be more than your boat is worth.

When traveling in no mans land...self rescue should be a priority.... and as many find out, that can mean abandoning your boat.

"Sorry, not even remotely the same thing""Crossing the ocean leaves you with few options when Mr. Murphy shows up."

Of course there is the O' Tool version ," Murphy was an optimist.'

Near shore the water will usually be shallower , so the waves may be shorter and steeper , rougher on the boat , and the stomach.

Offshore the longer fetch usually gives a better ride as there is more distance between the waves.
Bigger waves make boats go up and down more and side to side less, again easier on the boat and stomach.

Along shore more boats may be showing lights , towing , fishing , dredging , so there will be higher stress.

Offshore almost every vessel you see is WAY bigger than yours , do not argue with the Esso Maru, just make a course change that will keep well clear..

Even in this economy with the biggies running slower most are still only 10-20 min from when you can see them till there gone.

Weather windows are great for a couple of days , at 100-150 miles a day even a small passage is beyond the ability of most forecasters , although traveling in the "right" direction in the "right" season is good insurance.

Not even the bird farm is having fun in the North Atlantic in mid winter.

"Ship Captains Medical Guide" is good to have aboard , and a first aid kit
.A SSB or ham radio might assist in other problems.

Most folks are self reliant and do not wish to travel in a pack , where electricians can swim over for an assist.

Nothing wrong with coastal cruising 100 to 200 miles offshore avoiding shallow water and traffic. Not even remotely the same thing as crossing an ocean for weeks.

A medical book won't do squat for you if you need to get to the hospital. Most ocean crossers aren't under 30 probably not under 50 or 60. Lots of medical emergencies you're not going survive with needle and then with the best of intentions.

There are very few cruisers that don't consider themselves self reliant. There's a big difference between losing your ride 50 miles offshore and 1,500 miles offshore.

Ted

You can be out of life saving help 50 feet from a dock in the ICW.

I have seen it numerous times both in the USCG and assistance towing over 30 years.

I train...when on a boat...its the same as hiking into the wilderness...be prepared.

You can be out of life saving help 50 feet from a dock in the ICW.

I have seen it numerous times both in the USCG and assistance towing over 30 years.

I train...when on a boat...its the same as hiking into the wilderness...be prepared.
Where is this spot on the ICW that you're referring to that neither cellphone, VHF radio with a 20' antenna, or a EPIRB doesn't work?

Absolutely agree with you about being prepared and self reliant. The best team is individuals who are self reliant but can work together.

Ted

Another good read is Teka III's web site.

I second looking for a Diesel Duck. Hard to beat a well found steel boat at sea.

It's understandable that you ask about boat size and purchase cost, it's not a bad place to start thinking about it. But as others have noted it's not just boat size and budget. It's much more about you, your wife/partner and your crew.

Crossing oceans and making long passages is an environment that will test far more than the boat. Your endurance, physical, mental even spiritual strengths will be tested. Your resourcefulness in tough situations will be key to your survival. Your risk tolerance will be pushed to the limits.

I recall a story long ago in a local sailing magazine about someone who sold it all to buy a bare hull, build it out and sail away forever. He never did. After all his assets were liquidated and the search for the bare hull underway he realized he didn't want to cross oceans, he didn't want to spend endless days at sea. He wanted to be living on a tropical beach eating fruit and that's what he did. Plenty of $$$ to live comfortably and enough left over to fly home for visits. That is not to advise you to go live on a beach. Rather to think about what your real goal is.

I've spent my life working the coastal waters and have had my fill of endless days of watch rotations, 54 days being the longest. Repairing the boat in dire circumstances. Sometimes going more than a week not being able to see anything due to fog. Fighting my way through monstrous seas.

For me I love being on the water, exploring out of the way areas, finding privacy and solace in a secluded anchorage.

Now I want a comfy trawler, short exposed passages if any and drop the hook well before nightfall.

When I get the hankering for something different it's a bare boat charter in a place new to me. Then I'm happy to be back home in the PNW cruising to BC and SE Ak.

I did as I approached retirement briefly entertain the idea of making serious passages. Focused on steel diesel ducks I came across this one
2002 Diesel Duck Enhanced 50
She's not at all like the Chinese built boats. Built in Canada by a commercial boat and barge builder to much heavier scantlings. Some changes that made Beuhler unhappy but I think improved the boat for long passages. She's not pretty, outfitted and maintained like a working boat. In my opinion she's overpriced at $245K and been for sale for a very long time. Perhaps the owner will accept a lower offer.

Where is this spot on the ICW that you're referring to that neither cellphone, VHF radio with a 20' antenna, or a EPIRB doesn't work?

Absolutely agree with you about being prepared and self reliant. The best team is individuals who are self reliant but can work together.

Ted

Any place communications or coordination of jurisdiction breaks down....it's not the alert...its how it's handled.

I have had people here say call the USCG on VHF first...sure if you have a death wish in many cases.

I say call 911 and see what response you get first...but you better be able to give a street coordinate, maybe lat/long, or a geographical reference and be able to get where an ambulance can get.

Been there done that on several levels....it can go well....or almost not at all...as I said...being on a boat can be like a walk in the wilderness. Sometimes you are better off remote where only ONE response agency will be called.

"There's a big difference between losing your ride 50 miles offshore and 1,500 miles offshore. "

A good quality EPERB will work even 1500 miles offshore.

"There's a big difference between losing your ride 50 miles offshore and 1,500 miles offshore. "

A good quality EPERB will work even 1500 miles offshore.
Yes it will. Getting a helicopter to lift you off your boat and fly you to the hospital is a little tougher. Getting a commercial tow will take a little longer. Hopefully you don't die waiting.

Ted

Just remember that Risk is a factor of the likelihood of an event happening and the consequence of an event happening. Risk tolerance is a personal thing that differ person to person and only you can accept (as the responses of this thread are evident).

Be sure you understand this risk tolerance of anyone else who is with you.

Personally, I'm more of a "float across the ocean in a barrel" than I am "sit in a chair with a helmet and bubble wrap" kind of guy.

IMP, yours was a nice well thought out post, thank you!

My tongue in cheek response is that it's much easier to connect with buddies if you're in a powerboat as you're much more likely to have your radio on and near the helm.

Ted
Depends on which radio. During my cruising days, channel 16 was on most of the time, & could be heard from from both cockpit & salon. Local morning nets were active in nearly all ports of any size. Nearly all serious cruisers had ham radios, & there was always a morning net, not only for social, for safety communications. Bluewater cruising is a social sport.

Just remember that Risk is a factor of the likelihood of an event happening and the consequence of an event happening. Risk tolerance is a personal thing that differ person to person and only you can accept (as the responses of this thread are evident).

Be sure you understand this risk tolerance of anyone else who is with you.

Personally, I'm more of a "float across the ocean in a barrel" than I am "sit in a chair with a helmet and bubble wrap" kind of guy.

You would love popping the bubbles.....:)

The world is such a very big place
So much to see but not enough hours in a lifetime to do it.
We've only ever gone 1000 miles out to New Caledonia and Vanuatu on our boats, so no more than a week away sometimes less on passage and that, we can get a pretty reliable weather window for or at least we have done in every run to date.

Thankfully, to our north is New Guinea, Solomons, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, Philippines and onwards.
Several lifetimes worth of adventure land cruising only 3 days away from jump off and mostly, bugger all wind.

Depends on which radio. During my cruising days, channel 16 was on most of the time, & could be heard from from both cockpit & salon. Local morning nets were active in nearly all ports of any size. Nearly all serious cruisers had ham radios, & there was always a morning net, not only for social, for safety communications. Bluewater cruising is a social sport.

I guessing you've not spent much time on the AICW. One of the common complaints about sailboaters is that many don't monitor the radio. You come up behind them, call to give a slow pass, and all you get is zero recognition. Then you get dirty looks when they get rolled because they didn't slow down for a slow pass. So, my comment was about their lack of radio monitoring in close quarters.

My other pet peeve is sailboats without names on the transom or obscured by dingy, ladder, or some other crap blocking it. Makes it tough to contact the ones who do have the radio on. Thankfully most monitor the radio and you can read their name....with binoculars.

Ted

"You come up behind them, call to give a slow pass, and all you get is zero recognition. Then you get dirty looks when they get rolled because they didn't slow down for a slow pass".

No need to disturb the vessel you are passing , with good technique the pass will barely roll them and take only a few seconds.

"You come up behind them, call to give a slow pass, and all you get is zero recognition. Then you get dirty looks when they get rolled because they didn't slow down for a slow pass".

No need to disturb the vessel you are passing , with good technique the pass will barely roll them and take only a few seconds.
The "reduced power glide by" only works if there is a substantial speed difference between you and the boat your passing. A 1/2 to 1 knot difference doesn't work.

While passing close reduces the roll, I'm not about to go that close to a vessel I don't have a passing agreement with.

Ted

There is a nice boat for sale now in WA, capable of trans-anything. $250k asking. The fuel tankage may give you pause 191,000 gal.

I saw an ad for an old tugboat for $60k. Pretty beat, but ran. End of the ad said it came with 20,000gal of diesel!!

I just spent 3 hours today reading it. It seems Richard hit some nasty weather during the last few days that got real hairy. That's what I took as sobering.

BTW..did he start another thread when he crossed back and went through the canal? I see he is now on Pacific side.

The truly nasty weather was the last three days into Ireland.
But that's what you get at the end of August on the North Atlantic.

Crossing the North Sea at the end of September was also "interesting".

The 6,000 mile stretch between North Africa and the Panama Canal is a one time event, that I won't miss nor repeat.

Waiting in port for favorable weather is the worst however.

...head winds.

Ah, the dream of world offshore cruising, the reality of few. Time, excellent DIY capability and few shore responsibilities are requisites. With money, well found vessels are available, whether sail or power.

Make a trip from from San Diego to Glacier Bay. If you and your Vessel are still friends, then offshore beckons. Many buy their Nordhavns offloaded at Dana Point, then sell lightly used after a few years. There is a reason with Nordhavn's used boat market doing well as a result.

Two things you don't have to worry about when crossing an ocean:
1. Passing another boat or being passed,
2. Radio calls on the VHF.

There is a nice boat for sale now in WA, capable of trans-anything. $250k asking. The fuel tankage may give you pause 191,000 gal.

Yes, there is that. I can't even begin to fathom the cost of fueling a power boat for a circumnavigation. However, I would have considered it on my sailboat on my pension had family matters not intervened in my life. (Note: contrary to myth, the parental contract neither ends at the age of 18, nor at 21. It never ends.)

700,000+ litres?
That's one cheap supertanker ;)

Yes, there is that. I can't even begin to fathom the cost of fueling a power boat for a circumnavigation. However, I would have considered it on my sailboat on my pension had family matters not intervened in my life

If the yacht and powered vessel were similar sized the numbers would be similar.
Cost of mast, winches, sails and continual upgrade and maintenance buys a lot of diesel.

As a start:

gentlemens guide to passages south

Ocean passages for the world, get an older edition with the charts.

Eric Hiscock wrote a lot about sailing the world that may be applicable to trawlers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom