Old 09-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #21

City: Monroe Twp
Part of my journey is convincing the trawler life will be good for me and my wife. My wife needs to be impressed (yikes!). She also has less boating experience than me (mine from fishing and not at the helm). I think I have a better chance of making this work with a larger and newer boat. An old $5k or 10k cruiser will not pass mutard with my wife. I need to "wow" her and I think the charter route will do that. Kevin

NewbieFromNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieFromNJ View Post
Part of my journey is convincing the trawler life will be good for me and my wife. My wife needs to be impressed (yikes!). She also has less boating experience than me (mine from fishing and not at the helm). I think I have a better chance of making this work with a larger and newer boat. An old $5k or 10k cruiser will not pass mutard with my wife. I need to "wow" her and I think the charter route will do that. Kevin
Well, the charter route will teach both of you something. The answer may disappoint you as you find it's not for one or both of you. Now you may find after a charter or two she is more enthusiastic than you, but has a list of things the boat must have in her head. I hope the charter reaction is positive, but if it's negative, far better to know before you invest in a boat.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
The boat should always meet the needs that the owner has or the experience won't be as rewarding.. For a good many of us, our needs (or what we perceived them to be) got larger over time, along with our boats. If your need calls for a certain level of comfort for the two of you to enjoy the experience, then you certainly don't want to start out with something less than that.

For you, chartering a boat that is someone similar to a boat that you might eventually buy (ie size and equipment) will give you both a taste of the boating life. Your wife may love it and then the biggest problem you will have is waiting to purchase. It is also possible that the two of you may find it isn't what you want or expected and therefore save yourself a bunch of money and time. Both are fine.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Kevin
In addition to the Charter / Learning Capt I'd recommend looking into local US Power Squadrons and you and the Admiral take a few USPS course.
They offer everything from basic seamanship, piloting, engine maint, cruise planning, weather, to celestial navigation - and many others in between.

We joined the local Seneca Squadron when we were looking at boats and have stayed with them for nearly 30 yrs now. We have cruised more extensively having had the training - by adding experience we built confidence in our abilities.

USPS does a pretty good job on their courses and you will meet a bunch of local folks with similar interests, knowledge and experience.
Many USPS squadrons are now offering some on-the-water classes that will give you a chance to learn aboard different boats.
USPS.org - locate a squadron Many in NJ - Hopefully one reasonably close to you.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I went back and forth for a bit and asked myself do I wish 5-10 days of chartering a year, or (in Chicago) 5 months with a boat less than a mile from my house to gain experience on. I chose the increased availability that I could do "on a whim" versus networking and planning defined dates in advance.

So, I closed on my boat only a couple weeks ago and loving it this far! Already leaned out how to clean a raw water strainer too!
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #26

Going to trawlerfest in a couple weeks. Would like to know what the insurance guys say. Last few posts have put me back in limbo (learn on smaller boat vs trawler school).
Old 09-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Washington NC Waterfront
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Don't discount smaller boats....We downsized from a 35' sailboat to a 28' trawler and are having a terrific time with it as it meets our needs perfectly for coastal cruising. The boat (under previous ownership) has been up and down the East Coast several times so it's certainly capable. My wife is more comfortable with a smaller boat that we can both easily handle (we're getting older but still in good shape)..She's actually gotten quite enthusiastic about our current craft as have I. Sure I'd like something bigger, but as I found years ago, jumping 8-10 feet increases costs, maintenance, and effort disproportionately......not sure I want to go there again....That was back when I had a real job and lots more energy!

On cruising the Chesapeake, when we lived in NJ we kept a boat in the Northern Bay. Most every weekend from March to November we were on it. You'll never run out of beautiful cruising grounds if you go that way..
Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Going to trawlerfest in a couple weeks. Would like to know what the insurance guys say. Last few posts have put me back in limbo (learn on smaller boat vs trawler school).
Wifey B: Don't overlook the possibility that the smaller boat could be the one...not just a learner.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #29
Guru

City: Washington NC Waterfront
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Don't overlook the possibility that the smaller boat could be the one...not just a learner.
Yup....
Old 09-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #30

Got it but.... although we intend to cruise by ourselves most of the time we do like to entertain so there will be sleepovers with our 2 sons (and friends) and others. I'm not rich by no means and will only be buying a trawler from the proceeds of selling my home that I could afford a decent size with 2 staterooms.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
So you're looking for a live aboard boat?

That changes it a bit. To live aboard in New England in the winter will take more care, protection and a slip to keep the boat at with electric and ice protection.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote