Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
BandB,

Finally. Some actual information about what should be done. I haven't read your links yet but will do so now. Thank you so much for the response. And no, I picked the surveyor after interviewing two of them.

Thanks again Gordon

Gordon J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #42
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
A few specifics on the Volvo TMD series engines are in order, specifically the 40s and 41s. First is the aftercooler, it has a cast iron bottom that rusts out, major PITA and expensive unless you know the "fix". Next is the main bulkhead electrical connection, these have usually been wired around and jury rigged or removed completely. The raw water pump is ok, until you need another and find that its no longer available (read very expensive). If they have been started with ether the little steel things in the cylinder head (the name alludes me) may be loose, as they are an IDI engine. When one gives up it usually grenades the piston destroying the engine. If has the older dog type non hydraulic gear (trans) they tend to leak raw water inside from the copper cooling pipe. The volvo hydraulic gear is pretty good. The Hurth 630 series is a close fit for replacement. They are good engines as long as you can handle there "finer" points. The truck parts are cheaper than marine parts for major engine components, and they are the same items.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #43
Guru

Gordon, how can you know in advance what if anything may present, and whether you will pick up on it? If you are as knowledgeable as a mechanic, no problem.
Is it is more likely a mechanic will pick up on something than you? If "no", you won`t see value in a survey and probably won`t want one. Whatever your choice, I hope it goes well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:55 PM   #44
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
SDM
My mechanic spoke to me when I was buying belts for the 40s, suggested I could move cheaply from 4500 hr 145hp engines to 1500 hr, 200hp engines. I examined the deal he could give me and went for it.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #45
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I love Tollycraft boats. I do not like Volvo engines (believe that's engine type you stated in early post) due to their repair costs and lack of parts availability. Per say... that the engine[s] or transmission[s] may be at or near breakdown makes the boat "upside down" financially; no matter how great a deal you get. That said... if you get great deal for purchase and all four portions mentioned here turn out to be in OK condition then bully for you. I would not purchase any boat without full sea trial.

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #46
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I have been told by two surveyors that engine survey will cost $1000 and all they will do is take oil samples, Mondor engine temperatures, and watch the engines while running.
The mechanical survey on our current boat was done by the local Cummins distributor folks (we have Cummins engines).

In addition to "watching the engines while running" they assessed water pump, drive belt, alternator, aftercooler and turbo condition; engine mounts and shaft alignment; oil and fuel systems and braces; various potential for fluid leaks; and exhaust components... at rest, and while running both at idle and rated RPM. The survey also included removing all injectors, cylinder compression checks, and valve checks. Plus oil samples.

$829 total for two engines.

-Chris
Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #47
Guru

After reading what is supposed to be done, as per the documents provided by BandB, I am on the hunt for someone to survey the cummins engines and gensets in the Pompano Beach, FL area.

Thanks BandB for the education.

Gordon
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #48
Guru

All,

And as for the surveyor, his name is Steve Snider, also from Pompano. Does anyone have any intel on his work? I got his name from my buyers broker in Virginia. He got it in turn from a broker he knows in Florida.

Gordon
Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #49
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
After reading what is supposed to be done, as per the documents provided by BandB, I am on the hunt for someone to survey the cummins engines and gensets in the Pompano Beach, FL area.

Call the local Cummins distributor down there...

-Chris
Old 03-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Inspiration
BandB,

Thanks for those links. It makes sense that a thorough inspection of the engines should include all that is mentioned in the articles. Armed with this information one should be able to validate the abilities of a good diesel mechanic to determine his worthiness.

My guess is that most mechanics as mentioned in the article would fail. Goes back to the saying "you get what you pay for".

I understand a lot more now about what an "engine survey" actually is, and why it would be necessary in the purchase of a vessel.

I am sure that some of the items mentioned in the survey could be done by the owner, but having confidence in the results is where I would be lacking. I can wire a boat top to bottom, but when I start smelling diesel, I loose the confidence necessary to make an informative decision. Given time and working around them when the time comes, I am sure that I could learn enough about them to maintain and service them on just about anything short of a rebuild.

I am an engineer, so for me most often things have to be precise in order for me to accept them with confidence, but I do see some grey areas in the mechanics of it all. Call it anal or type-A, it's just the way I see it.

The article and information was very valuable. Not only to myself, but apparently to others as well.
seadogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #51
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
SDM

My boat was built for a airline pilot (he managed to get to Taiwan a few times during the build), sold to a Thoracic surgeon and finally sold to another airline pilot before I got it. All notoriously anal personality types, you would think. The wiring, however, was a rats nest of additions and all the old wiring was left in place, making further additions a real pain. Mechanically, however, all depended on competent outside mechanics to maintain the boat is top running condition. I found out the history of ownership before I decided to buy it, so relaxed a bit about the need for an engine survey. Without a history, checking the mechanicals out is more risky, so if your expertise is elsewhere, a survey is usually a necessity.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote