stairs/ladder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as I hate ladders, I like Angus's with the railings.

Sir, since we are putting in an offer on this boat, would you mind sharing with me the pics and info you have available for this ladder design? it looks like this is the best, reasonable resolution. thanks

Lunacy, PM me your email. You can download the pics from this forum. Feel free.

I recently purchased another boat, which, as it turns out, has a 'half tower' with ladders built into the corner supports. For someone my size and age, these were all but impossible for me to negotiate. I called a local fabricator of t-tops, towers and such, and ordered a fixed ladder. He told me he is often asked for ladders like this as his customers get older. The rung spacing is quite natural, the angle easy to climb and and the handrails perfect for me. It takes up little cockpit space and I'm a happy camper. Below are before and after photos.

Yea, I know, this is definitely not Boomarang!

Attachments

• 20161113_185315312_iOS_2.jpg
    20161113_185315312_iOS_2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
Ours is not a Ranger brand; that's the boat's name... :)

The 42C is length and model (Convertible).

-Chris

Noob mistake! Beautiful boat and I love how the stairs are integrated into the design. My eye has been on one of the Mainship trawler models that have a similar approach to reaching the FB.

I called a local fabricator of t-tops, towers and such, and ordered a fixed ladder. He told me he is often asked for ladders like this as his customers get older. The rung spacing is quite natural, the angle easy to climb and the handrails are perfect for me. It takes up little cockpit space and I'm a happy camper.
When I bought "Sandpiper", I had the very same concerns. They proved to be unwarranted though as the ladder to the fly bridge is as Larry described.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 6.47.20 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 6.47.20 AM.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 156
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 151
Silly me. Thought I had found dirt on Walt's boat. Turned out to be my screen is dirty. :)

Noob mistake! Beautiful boat and I love how the stairs are integrated into the design. My eye has been on one of the Mainship trawler models that have a similar approach to reaching the FB.

Yep, we shopped on Mainships at the time, too. In fact, first, because our first big boat was a Mainship 34'... with a ladder... that the big dogs couldn't negotiate... and eventually we decided we didn't want to negotiate ladders either.

In the end, wifey preferred the beamier interior on what we bought... even though I thought the sidedeck access and lower helm on the Mainships was what I would have preferred. Silly me. :) But actually, I was good with all three boats on our short list, which also included the MS 430 and 400.

The stairs thing crossed several of the Luhrs lines, even during the time (early -to-mid 90's) when Mainship had forsaken it's "trawler" (sorta) roots. At the time, they were all very innovative in bridge and foredeck access.

-Chris

Last edited:
Yup, those aluminum tubing / Teak ladders are attractive and functional. (Did not match our boat or wallet.)

As an architect, the CODEs require that all treads be uniform width and all risers be uniform height. (Even in stadia and auditoria; that's why new ones have their aisleway treads even while old ones were more often long-step short-step.)

Whenever I get to mess with the ladders and companionways on boats (two boats and three sets of steps) I like to have the nosings of the treads line up with the hatch or deck edge. Normally, ladders and steps on boats are arranged with the top tread away from where it belongs. One way to make the nosings line up is to add a tread in line with the upper deck. (Of course, no mfr wants to supply an extra tread.)

Follows is a quick sketch of a set of steps down from a salon to a lower level. Completely faked as to scale. The two-tread version is what ours and many boats have. The three tread version is what I wish to do. It should be easier and safer for an old fart with iffy knees like me.

Attachments

• Step Sketch.jpg
    Step Sketch.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 135
Our 42' '81 Grand Banks has stairs. Great for people and great for our two dogs and visiting grand kids. Ladders just wouldn't cut it for us.

We don't just get on one level and stay. I don't think most do. We go up and down throughout the day and night. That makes ease of moving back and forth all so much more important. Make it difficult and you'll tend to use the bridge less.

Maybe a boson's seat and the use of an electric davit on the top deck. If the boat is in a seaway you get an exciting ride and maybe some bruises. The danger of climbing up and down, one of the reasons I don't like upper deck steering stations. Yes there are other reasons but those who like them don't want to here them.

Back
Top Bottom