stainless steel vs Brass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I just received a new water/cooling pump the plate/cover has brass screws . I am asking if I replace them with SS screws will there be a problem with the two different metals? or should I just leave the brass screws in . I went to check the generators impellar and broke off one of the brass screws holding the plate/cover, so my thought is the SS screws may be stronger thank you

no problem with stainless in bronze pump housing.

I have never had an issue with brass in that application. But then again I change my impeller every 2 seasons so they don't get too much chance to corrode.

I just received a new water/cooling pump the plate/cover has brass screws . I am asking if I replace them with SS screws will there be a problem with the two different metals? or should I just leave the brass screws in . I went to check the generators impellar and broke off one of the brass screws holding the plate/cover, so my thought is the SS screws may be stronger thank you

Depending on what brass and what stainless but generally the stainless should be stronger. Either type should not be an issue for that use.

(I did a quick check and typical brass screws are 50,000 psi material. 18-8 stainless is 70,000 psi and 316 is 80,000)

Ken

"Also, just about everything in my engine room goes together with "never seize"."

Good stuff , but if you get it on your fingers , its almost forever!

I put boat trailer wheel bearing grease on all screws that can/will get wet with sea water. Blue or green stuff. I think it is more inert than any of the anti-seize products in the galvanic sense. Water pumps, engine coolers, outboard motors, etc get the treatment.

Most new(er) engine water pumps use bronze castings and now stainless fasteners. Don't seem to see any seized screw problems. And brass screws are not bronze, so there will be some galvanic action there. Seen lots of brass screws break off.

I'd go stainless with a dab of trailer grease.

I think the fail safe with water pump screws, is if you arent taking them out once a year or year and a half, you probably should rethink your impeller maintenance.

Sure, they can last a long time with consistent light use.

I think someone here once said they had a 10 year old one still OK, but thats the exception to the prudent rule.....

Brass in its varied alloys is used all the time in marine applications, just usually/preferably not on the seawater side of systems.

Back
Top Bottom