Old 09-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point, Ca
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: Offshore 62
Stainless refrigerator

Hello all,

I need to replace the stand up refrigerator on my boat. I am curious as to your experience with stainless steel refers. I purchased a cheap stainless microwave and it was a constant chore to polish the rust from the cowling due to the low grade of stainless. I want to make sure I do not encounter the same thing with a large refer. Any advice?

Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Are you looking at a 12 volt or a household type? We have a 12/120 volt Vitrifugo refer that has held up well. The stainless steel looks great. It didnít cool very well when we bought the boat. I added a low and a high vent and a 12 volt 50 mAmp fan blowing air into the bottom. Now it cools great. Also use a small RV fan inside the refer to move the air around which hepls a lot.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: H20
Vessel Name: OLOH
Vessel Model: 60 Motor Yacht
Based on your boat I'm assuming you are replacing a full size, 120V fridge. We have almost a year with our new LG and have not had any hint of rust issues. Granted that's not all that long in the grand scheme of things but we've spent a good deal of time in salt air environments that would likely have tested it.

For what it's worth, the fridge itself has been terrific. Our choices were limited based on measurements but we've been very pleased so far. We got one with the door-in-door configuration which, for us, is a nice feature for a boat. You can reach in for a beverage without opening the main section of the fridge and letting the cold out. I know, not that big a deal, but something does feel good about it.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point, Ca
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: Offshore 62
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, this is a 110 (no 12 volt) large stand up galley fridge. It is similar in size to what you have in your house.
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote