Old 02-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #41
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
My wife's roll threshold is easily exceeded without stabilizers on. We can enjoy the boat much more with them. They are worth the dough to us.

drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
This.

Seasickness isn't the issue at all. You still have pitch, heave and yaw that will cause that if someone is prone to it. For me the value is being better able to safely walk around the boat underway, and of not shaking up and stressing the contents and components of the boat any more than they need be.
Actually seasickness is an issue and stabilizers tend to reduce it greatly. As to the pitch, heave and yaw, good stabilizers do allow you to adjust speed and direction to reduce that plus they make the pitch more in a line.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually seasickness is an issue and stabilizers tend to reduce it greatly. As to the pitch, heave and yaw, good stabilizers do allow you to adjust speed and direction to reduce that plus they make the pitch more in a line.
No, that is wrong. Think about it. Think about what directions seas come from and their effect on the boat. And a fin stabilizer and at least the gyros I've seen (Seakeepers) can't control yaw or heave either, just look at their design.

The chance of seasickness may be reduced a little, but not greatly unless roll is the only motion involved. I've seen that over the course of a variety of guests on my boat and four or five others.
As reminder it is motion sickness. Cars and airliners don't roll, but people get motion sickness, for instance. It's all an inner ear phenomena.

We loved our Naiads but they have their limitations. And the difference the Seakeepers make in a sportfish on the drift are fantastic, since boats lay abeam to the seas. But they too have their limitations.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #44

City: Charleston, S.C.
Vessel Name: Elizabeth Ann ll
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 48 E. Sedan
Stabilizer worth the bough

Added wesmar fins spring 2015 on my 48 ocean Alexander semi d , works very good and roll has been reduced greatly in beam seas also greatly reduces roll in all other seas , pitching is not helped in head seas ,but roll is much less. Put 4.5 s.f. But changed to 7.5 s.f. to be more effective at hull speed. Cost approximate $50,000 but to me well worth the cost as can use boat when I have the time more. Not that much $ when I consider boat cost and cost of ownership. I did consider the sea keeper system but room,gen run, spin up time, was not good for my sizes boat. I can turn the fins on and off on the go within seconds. Also fins are designed to break off shaft at an impact before any damage to shaft. Just my thoughts on my limited experience so far.
rking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
A few years ago I was shopping for vessels and ran across a nearly new Selene 57. It was not equipped with stabilizers. The boat languished for a long time on the market as other stabilized Selenes around it sold well.

Finally the Selene group selling it added stabilizers, voila and within weeks, it was snapped up. The market place speaks. People looking for an expensive blue water capable newer vessel expect stabilizers. Overwhelmingly it would seem. There is a reason. They work.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #46
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
While looking for our current boat one of the things on my "don't want" list was stabilizers due to anecdotal information (expensive to service, potential sinking if a fin broke off etc.). Well, you guessed it, the boat we bought DID have stabilizers (Naiad) and it DID cost $$ to have the seals and bearings replaced BUT the difference with them on and off is worth the service costs IMO. Now, as to whether or not I'd spend $50K to have them added is a totally different question.

We did a sea trial on a sister ship without stab's and she rolled in her own wake like a drunken sailor (round chine, FD hull). Tough call especially with the initial costs involved.

As to whether or not you need them on a "rolly" boat? Probably not for the occasional passing wake or occasional transit of an ICW inlet but it all depends on you.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #47
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Observe many cruise ship passengers wear neck patches even when ship movement is nearly imperceptible. Don't know what proportion are just taking precaution as opposed those experiencing nausea. Find a cruise ship makes me drowsy without the drugs.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Observe many cruise ship passengers wear neck patches even when ship movement is nearly imperceptible. Don't know what proportion are just taking precaution as opposed those experiencing nausea. Find a cruise ship makes me drowsy without the drugs.
I think it's pretty standard if it's their first time to encourage them wearing the patches. Now, if they don't get sick, I see most likely to wear one next time since it worked before.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
The patches should be worn in the nape of the neck, that way if they fail to work they at least provide cushioning for the toilet seat
Old 02-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #50
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
A fellow we know had these installed. Gyro Gale Stabilizers | Marine Stabilizers for Yachts
Cost was 1/3 less than Niads. They work at zero speed as well. They use compressed air, no hydraulics. I never heard of them before.
I received a quotation for these and the price is basically the same as for traditional hydraulic versions. They also spec'd out a 4 fin unit which has the capability of reducing pitch to some degree as well and function as zero-speed (at anchor). That unit got expensive of course.

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote