which stabilizers for us?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We added a paravane system to our boat, which is a displacement trawler, but I do not think that is a viable option for Lisas Way. The paravane system requires a significant superstructure to have a system large enough to withstand the strain, and would not necessarily be less expense if correctly engineered. We do a lot of ocean travel and it reduced our roll from over 40 degrees each way to under 10 degrees in 10-12 foot beam seas. They work just as well at anchor.

We did look at gyro's as well, but at 45 tons, the smallest unit that would work was quite large. (36" x 36"). In doing our research the concerns we had about gyro's was the time to get up to speed, about 30 minutes of operation before they worked, and the fact that they required the generator to be running to operate, and they were not operator friendly if needing repairs. In your case, I'd also be a little concerned about the trim of the boat with the added weight in the stern.

Active fins are known commodity on boats your size. The downside is that, as you stated, they don't work at anchor. Our experience is that they become less and less effective as you drop below about 8 knots, since they are a rudder, and only work as good as the water flow going over the fins. I believe this is why they are also less effective in a following sea. They also create drag 100% of the time, whether being used or not. But flipping a switch and instantly on would be very nice.

Obviously, there is no simple solution, and whatever you do, there will be some significant compromises.

Of course, you could always trade the boat in and get a trawler! We spent 4 months this summer cruising throughout SE Alaska, with a good bit of time off the west coast of Baranof Island fishing with the paravanes in the water for days at a time. It was just fantastic.

Best of luck on your adventure -

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture

Hi,

I do not know whether these are already in the US market, but an interesting idea vs gyro / wing stabilizer

RotorSwing introduces a true innovation in Yacht stabilisation – the Magnus Rotor. The state-of-the-art, retractable and electronically powered system provides a new performance level of stability control on Yachts up to 30 meters at a speed range of 0 to 25 knots. Our newest development is our patented Adaptive Rake™ with the positioning control function

https://rotorswing.com/

And funny video https://youtu.be/PFdEWdO1szs

I found old topic this rotorswing http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s31/rotorswing-stabilizer-system-12684.html

NBs

RotorSwing_Magnus.jpg

Last edited:
Jason, I am going to guess the 4788 will need an SK9 if you were to go the Gyro route. SK can do an analysis and they will show you the predicted roll reduction for various size units. Finding the space and the hull reinforcement for an existing boat will be the challenge, but I would think very doable for that size boat. As always, + and - with any decision. Personally, I felt the Gyro route was a better option for us when I was looking at stabilization.

Jason, I am going to guess the 4788 will need an SK9 if you were to go the Gyro route. SK can do an analysis and they will show you the predicted roll reduction for various size units. Finding the space and the hull reinforcement for an existing boat will be the challenge, but I would think very doable for that size boat. As always, + and - with any decision. Personally, I felt the Gyro route was a better option for us when I was looking at stabilization.

And how do you like it so far? Have you had fins before, and able to make a comparison?

And how do you like it so far? Have you had fins before, and able to make a comparison?

I have No previous experience with other types of stabilization. After 8 months of use, I would say it was a very good investment. Just had the annual service done, early, and it is ready to go for next season. I should only have to change a few zincs between then. Knock wood.

OLD THREAD BUMP***

Kevin: Sorry for resurrecting this but what did you finally go with and are you still happy? The 4788 is on my shortlist for my next possible boat (I'm actually viewing one today!). I don't think any of the Yachtworld 4788's are stabilized.

I didn’t go with anything yet. Honestly i have gotten used to the rolling and probably won’t add active stabilizers at this stage in the game. I have learned to just stay in port when it’s nasty, and to use my engines and tack in a large beam sea.

The 4788 is a GREAT platform for a coastal cruising lifestyle. I’m now seven seasons with this boat, and am still happy!

Last edited:
I didn’t go with anything yet. Honestly i have gotten used to the rolling and probably won’t add active stabilizers at this stage in the game. I have learned to just stay in port when it’s nasty, and to use my engines and tack in a large beam sea.

The 4788 is a GREAT platform for a coastal cruising lifestyle. I’m now seven seasons with this boat, and am still happy!

Thanks for the reply. I got on my first 4788 today! It was great to finally be aboard one, after all of my YouTube viewing. I checked out the 4788 in Mass. on Yachtworld if anyone's curious ( I'm not gonna post the link, I'll let you guys do the investigative work.... :) ) I really liked it!

I would only be coastal cruising as well and staying put in an unruly sea state is fine with me. BUT if I bought a 4788 then the idea of some type of stabilization would definitely be on my "radar".

What a cool yacht.

Thanks Fletcher.

I have No previous experience with other types of stabilization. After 8 months of use, I would say it was a very good investment. Just had the annual service done, early, and it is ready to go for next season. I should only have to change a few zincs between then. Knock wood.

What's involved in the annual service?

Looks fragile.
Long leverage arm and many moving parts.

Looks a bit less fragile in this installation.

https://cache.apolloduck.com/image_bin/x/440193.jpg?

The small ship is an 80 ft, 23.92m converted, Swedish, ice capable rescue boat.

With no personal experience I have to say the electrically powered, small drive units, flexible installation positioning, including single unit to dual pair, variable positioning based on speed ("adaptive rake"), zero speed capability of the rolling fins looks pretty darn good.

Here's a link to their commercial page which is more pulled together than the recreational site.

https://quantumstabilizers.com/maglift/

Last edited:
"Should I just call t he local rigger and say fix me up with everything, and is it really worth it? (staysail)"

If you are at a marina it should be easy to borrow a sail to try out from one of the sailboats there.

Just measure the hoist you can use and measure their sail is shorter before borrowing it.

Hello,
I would like to congratulate and thank you for all the videos you have posted concerning your refit. Here in Canary Island, Lanzarote where I am berthed with my North Sea Trawler 57 BALDER VIII,I obliged a local technician to watch it to help me explaining what I need as a back up to my hydraulic Keypower stabs. We plan to cross next year and I will not do the 2000 nm trip without paravanes and fish.
My boat is fully loaded more or less 60 metric tons in very strong steel. The guys here want to build my paravanes in stainless steel tube 90mm diameter, length 6meters. I am afraid about the weight.....

I forgot to mention that this message was dedicated to Sea Venture!

Hello,
I would like to congratulate and thank you for all the videos you have posted concerning your refit. Here in Canary Island, Lanzarote where I am berthed with my North Sea Trawler 57 BALDER VIII,I obliged a local technician to watch it to help me explaining what I need as a back up to my hydraulic Keypower stabs. We plan to cross next year and I will not do the 2000 nm trip without paravanes and fish.
My boat is fully loaded more or less 60 metric tons in very strong steel. The guys here want to build my paravanes in stainless steel tube 90mm diameter, length 6meters. I am afraid about the weight.....

I'm confused by this thread, as to who is doing what, with what.

1st question, 2,000 nm to where?
2nd , what kind of paravanes do you have or are contemplating?

Richard

I'm confused by this thread, as to who is doing what, with what.

1st question, 2,000 nm to where?
2nd , what kind of paravanes do you have or are contemplating?

Richard
I am talking about the videos posted on youtube by Seaventures who did a very serious work on his trawler.( title 'myrefit is done") This an aluminium structure with an A frame and a crow nest.
Second question, 2000nm, is more or less the distance I will sail from Canary Islands to Caribean.
Iam confident with my KEYPOWER hydraulics stabs but I prefer have a plan B, basic system like paravanes and rig, like Robert Beebe discribed it in his book.
As I explained in my message, sorry with broken english, paravanes stabilizers are not very known in Europe and more oftenly considered as a bad idea or wrong concept, too much weight in the height, commercial look, ugly rig etc..
Considering my trawler, I am not afraid to add these paravanes if they are efficient, my only concern, find the right people to imagine the all the system and install it on my steel boat in the most solid location on the flybridge.

I am talking about the videos posted on youtube by Seaventures who did a very serious work on his trawler.( title 'myrefit is done") This an aluminium structure with an A frame and a crow nest.
Second question, 2000nm, is more or less the distance I will sail from Canary Islands to Caribean.
Iam confident with my KEYPOWER hydraulics stabs but I prefer have a plan B, basic system like paravanes and rig, like Robert Beebe discribed it in his book.
As I explained in my message, sorry with broken english, paravanes stabilizers are not very known in Europe and more oftenly considered as a bad idea or wrong concept, too much weight in the height, commercial look, ugly rig etc..
Considering my trawler, I am not afraid to add these paravanes if they are efficient, my only concern, find the right people to imagine the all the system and install it on my steel boat in the most solid location on the flybridge.

Ok
Thanks.

2,000 miles won't get you to the Caribbean, it's more like 2700 nm from Hiero, or whatever that western most island is called.

My paravane rig is neither top heavy nor bulky and is easy to modify.

Details are on one of my blog posts.

In GB the purpose of most bilge keels is so the vessel can be aground , frequently on a mooring, and stay upright.

With deep tides it makes sense.

Perhaps the addition of bilge keels would make more financial sense if upright was a useful task.

Last edited:
Ok
Thanks.

2,000 miles won't get you to the Caribbean, it's more like 2700 nm from Hiero, or whatever that western most island is called.

My paravane rig is neither top heavy nor bulky and is easy to modify.

Details are on one of my blog posts.

Distance between capo verde mindelo to barbados is around 2100 nm. I did this passage 30 yearscago with my beloved ketch Fisher Balder IV...

I am talking about the videos posted on youtube by Seaventures who did a very serious work on his trawler.( title 'myrefit is done") This an aluminium structure with an A frame and a crow nest..

Hello,

Hi,

Just saw your post. Thanks, and we are glad the refit series on our paravane system was helpful.

If you have any other questions, or if there is anything other information that might help, feel free to email us at cruisingseaventure@gmail.com

Happy cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture

Distance between capo verde mindelo to barbados is around 2100 nm. I did this passage 30 yearscago with my beloved ketch Fisher Balder IV...

Oh, well you said, Canaries, but you meant Cape Verde Islands.
Watch out for pirates.

MagnusMaster

Looks a bit less fragile in this installation.

https://cache.apolloduck.com/image_bin/x/440193.jpg?

The small ship is an 80 ft, 23.92m converted, Swedish, ice capable rescue boat.

With no personal experience I have to say the electrically powered, small drive units, flexible installation positioning, including single unit to dual pair, variable positioning based on speed ("adaptive rake"), zero speed capability of the rolling fins looks pretty darn good.

Here's a link to their commercial page which is more pulled together than the recreational site.

https://quantumstabilizers.com/maglift/

Hi MRRilley,

System installed is the MagnusMaster system from DMS Holland (DMSHolland.com)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom