Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Stabicraft, butt ugly at best. The boat you have when you know nothing about boats. Just joking.
I have an aluminium tender, only 3.7 mts but pretty beamy and fitted with flotation collars (inflatable) called Aero Floats ( Airofloat Stabilizers) They offer great protection to the mother ship, fantastic stability and really good for we older folk who still free dive, to get in and out of the water.
They are easy to install and remove, just fitted with sail track on side of dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3195.jpg  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #22

City: Havelock , Marlborough Sounds
Stabicraft is a very popular brand here in Kiwi land.
They are made in the very Southermost town of the South Island called Invercargill, since 1987. Very popular with fishermen in coastal waters.
As Bill has already pointed out their smallest model starts at 14 “ and weighs 500 lbs
Recommended engine is 30 HP.
There are dozens of them in every NZ marina and many more on trailers in driveways.
I have not seen them used as tenders but cannot see why not, if the mothership is large enough with a good crane.
Will try and post a few photos from their website.
Wilfried
Zeemeermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I used to do some work fitting out Stabicraft boats for the South Australian distributor. I test run each boat as they were completed. They are a very dry ride due to their unusual shape. Not everyone loves the shape with a squared off overhang that sits over the traditional shaped hull.
They were a good strong boat that were popular with the local fishermen. All models had positive flotation.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #24

City: Havelock , Marlborough Sounds

Zeemeermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #25
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Lowe? I would look into a 16' wide deep v utility if that's in your idea of a good tender. Grumman, Tracker, and Alumacraft make them as well. They are very stable and usually dry.

https://www.loweboats.com/utility-boats/v1668w/

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #26

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 31 TE 2004
I just sold one that I used extensively for 5 years. It is a fantastic boat. I cannot think of a better tender AND it would be nice to have the ultimate life boat in tow. I only sold it, a Stabicraft 2050 Fisher, to move to a larger boat with a head so as to entice my wife to join me on the water. Feel free to contact me for further information. 720 480 8652
Mark Laurnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #27

City: Panama
Vessel Name: Aqua Lobo
Vessel Model: Custom Trawler
You should stick with the idea of a Stabicraft! they should make what you need. the forward downturns on the alloy pontoons will keep you dry. they also have a good cushion belting that will protect your vessel when coming along side and other hyperlong and PVC tenders at the dingy docks!!!!
Alan Culverwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #28

You could only be an Ozzy! those yellow things on the side of ya dingy are what we call water wings, kids that cannot swim use them! kinda like the Americas Cup!!! just kidding
Old 12-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #29
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Culverwell View Post
You could only be an Ozzy! those yellow things on the side of ya dingy are what we call water wings, kids that cannot swim use them! kinda like the Americas Cup!!! just kidding
Dead right mate, but for getting in and out of the tinny when you are free diving (spear fishing) they are great and I am not getting any younger or for that matter thinner. 71 in Jan so have to get all the help I can.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 AM   #30

71 Wow, good on you! like most Kiwi's I did some time in Ozz, spent quite a bit of it spearfishing at Flinders Reef off Bribe Island. Do hope to get back there with the family one day, great place! happy Birthday for January!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 12:23 AM   #31

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 31 TE 2004
Stabicraft tender

Any Stabicraft would make a marvelous tender for a big boat. I have had 300 hours aboard a 2050 Fisher I recently sold. They are very well made, minimal maintenance, unsinkable and virtually indestructible. It is not a coincidence that they are the craft of choice for most of New Zealand’s maritime rescue services. With prudence I made numerous traverses of the Columbia River Bar and also ran the boat from Seattle to Ketchikan. The boat was always willing to take more than I could, very confidence instilling. One thing ... these boats ride ROUGH in big water. They are bouyant as a wood chip, literally able to jump from one wave crest to the next. The boat itself will not be the limiting factor. The light weight does, however, translate into remarkable fuel efficiency. My 20 foot boat had a max HP rating iof 150. Powered by a Honda 135, my Floscan showed 3.4 mpg running 30 mph enroute to AL. I only sold my Stabicraft to gain some creature comforts, 600 miles is a long way without a head ... not really a factor for a tender.
Attached Thumbnails
30B3A93E-02F8-43B8-B1E5-1FF1BB629BCF.jpg  
Mark Laurnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #32

City: warkworth
Stabicraft 2100

I recently purchased a new Stabicraft 2100 complemented with foam filled pontoons, 6mm hull, 200HP Mercury Pro XS. We have been stacking on the hours this summer, despite the weather not being the best. I have taken it out 1.5 meter swells with 25 knot wind here in NZ. The only other boats out in that stuff was large sailing boats and 10 metre flying bridge fibreglass charters.

I purchased the boat due to its well known safety and the fact that most deaths here in NZ are on boats less than 6 meters in length. Many have commented on slapping hulls and wet rides... I can say, that I have not found this to be true. In meter swells, this boat can cruise at 3500 RPM 41KPH... if everyone on board is up for it... I find the waves actually fold under the hull design and smooth out the ride. I have had 2.5 meter waves come over the top where all you see is blue sea in through the cabin windscreen... hahhaha... always time to slow down and take things a bit calmer... We have really enjoyed jumping it... particularly when going with the waves and wind.. I guess you can say it is a rugged beast that instills confidence and ahem.. boytoy fun... It is a stable ride... particularly at rest. What I really like about it...is that in rough seas.. you can have three large men on one side leaning to see a catch and the boat hardly tilts...

I do wish that it had more room up front for someone to sit, as we often beach it on the islands and its nice to have someone spotting for rocks...

I have lived in Washington, Oregon and have done heaps of fishing in
Alaska and I can definitely recommend it as a strong contender to the alloy boats made in Oregon, Washington and Canada... I personally love the look of the boat.. It just looks rugged and mean... and it lives up to the look. Happy to answer questions... BTW... I am in no way affiliated with Stabicraft and Mercury... just an average 9-5 guy who likes a bit of fun on the weekends with the kids and friends...
SumoSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Stabicraft, butt ugly at best. The boat you have when you know nothing about boats. Just joking.
I have an aluminium tender, only 3.7 mts but pretty beamy and fitted with flotation collars (inflatable) called Aero Floats ( Airofloat Stabilizers) They offer great protection to the mother ship, fantastic stability and really good for we older folk who still free dive, to get in and out of the water.
They are easy to install and remove, just fitted with sail track on side of dinghy.
I wouldn't call them ugly Benn, (by the way, where are yuh - haven't seen a post from you for yonks), but rather like the Super Sarca anchor I used to own and love...not ugly but no-nonsense, business-like, in a pleasingly agricultural and functional sort of way...
Attached Thumbnails
1550-fisher-66.jpg   99A96B4E-28BB-4D62-8B3F-1118DEE1DFD3_1_105_c.jpeg  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #34
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
A friend just bought a Stabi about a year ago, 18' I think. I fished out of it a couple days last summer. The welding and general build quality seemed good. The pointed nose though must be an acquired taste.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Twisted: Doesn't Nordhavn throw in a tricked out "freebie" tender for the owner after spending several million dollars?? Lol. Hopefully at least the bubbly is gratis at the launching!!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote