Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
St Croix USVI to Florida coast

I'm just curious what would be the most practical way to move a trawler/tug from St Croix USVI to Fla coast that's not mechanitally sound? The boat has made the trip from St Croix to the Notheast coast a few times but now it needs too much work to make the trip.
Don't get excited I'm not doing anything I was just curious .
Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Stick a mast in it and sail it back!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

City: Carrollton, Va
How big and does it run at all. If so, go to Puerto Rico and put it on a container ship that goes to Jax. You could also try to get it to the D.R. and that may allow you more/cheaper options, but I'm not sure.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Seven Star serves St. Thomas and has regular trips from there to West Palm.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
FF
Guru

"that's not mechanitally sound?"

In what way?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"that's not mechanitally sound?"

In what way?
From the info I have so far it's really just the fuel tanks .
Old 11-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
There are three approaches in returning, the first two are island hopping. To Puerto Rico then go around its southern coast to Boqueron, then up through Mona Passage 18-20 hours to Samana, DR. Then to Luperon or Ocean World, then Island hop through Turks and Bahamas. Second island hopping route is north coast of Puerto Rico. San Juan to Samana is then 30 hours.

Third option is to go for days from the Virgins to the Bahamas.This is certainly fastest, but beyond my stamina with only two on board.
If the tanks are leaking you will have your greatest risk of being spotted by the authorities in Puerto Rico.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #8

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Most freighters that move boats as deck cargo are foreign flag and cannot move from one US port to another US port. Your boat would have to be loaded in the British Virgin Islands to be unloaded in Florida unless the freighter is US flag. Check with Sevenstar for shipping rates.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
Most freighters that move boats as deck cargo are foreign flag and cannot move from one US port to another US port. Your boat would have to be loaded in the British Virgin Islands to be unloaded in Florida unless the freighter is US flag. Check with Sevenstar for shipping rates.
I was surprised looking at SevenStar's website that they do ship from St. Thomas to Palm Beach.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
My buddy just went through this. He lives in San Diego and he bought a boat in Florida. He had to ship the boat to Ensenada and then take it to San Diego. The total cost was around 16k . The boat was a Defever 34.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
My buddy just went through this. He lives in San Diego and he bought a boat in Florida. He had to ship the boat to Ensenada and then take it to San Diego. The total cost was around 16k . The boat was a Defever 34.
That's typical. Shipping from South Florida to and from the West Coast is between Victoria, Vancouver, and Ensenada.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
TF Site Team

This Tug that's in St Croix has been for sale for a few years. The location along with needed repairs are not helping the sale . Thanks for all input.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
The governing law which restricts foreign flagged vessels from carrying freight from US port to US port is called the Jones act.

The Jones act was recently suspended for PR ports by executive order to enable more shipping bandwidth after the hurricane.

Not sure how long the suspension is, or how soon is feasible to ship. Just a data point for the discussion.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
This Tug that's in St Croix has been for sale for a few years. The location along with needed repairs are not helping the sale . Thanks for all input.
Not knowing the details, a couple of thoughts.

I would spend very little buying it.

I would not spend money transporting it to the mainland US until making the repairs. My logic is that you need to get into it, figure out the true extent of repairs needed and be sure it justifies transporting it. The cost of transport could easily exceed the value of a boat in bad condition. On the other hand, if all it took was replacing tanks and a minor amount of engine work, then you'd be ready to go. Of course then you probably wouldn't be looking for transport.

If pursuing it, I'd get it surveyed where is and then I'd get the work done at the nearest decent yard.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If pursuing it, I'd get it surveyed where is and then I'd get the work done at the nearest decent yard.
+1 David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
TF Site Team

I'm just dreaming like always. William has to get sold before I do anything, but I do like being ready if it does happen . Thanks for all the insight.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The trip from the Virgins back to Florida should not be undertaken by any boat that is not in top seaworthy condition. For a 7 kt trawler there are a number of mandatory 16-22 hour jumps. Lee shores with strong wave action for Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. The notorious Caicos Bank of coral heads and skinny water adds to the challenge. Many of the harbors require navigation through cuts in a reef. Repairs, if needed, can leave you stranded for weeks, months as parts are not available and in certain countries customs offices are notorious for delaying delivery of shipments from the US and Canada.

Thus take the advice of having the repairs done first then bringing the boat back.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #18
TF Site Team

There are over seventy of these Lord Nelson Tugs built. I should be able to find one closer to home when and if I ever get ready. I could do most of the repairs here myself but the shipping cost aren't worth it. Even if the boat was in perfect shape , I would have to hire a captain. The right boat in the wrong location is the wrong boat.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #19
FF
Guru

The Jones act was recently suspended for PR ports by executive order to enable more shipping bandwidth after the hurricane.

With the billions being dumped on PR , there should be lots of empty ships going back to the USA.

On smaller ships deck cargo is a perk for the captain.

Cash is king!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
It was only suspended for 10 days.