Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
St Augustine FL Inlet

HI all,

Slowly making our way south. Planning our next leg and looking at options in North FL.

I have been through St Augustine inlet in the past (2+years ago) on our previous boat (with much less draft).

Wondering if any had any more recent experience?

When I last went through it was all temp markers, followed those and had no problems. But aware this inlet is problematic at times.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Haven’t been there recently but the junction of the ICW and the inlet earned the nickname “The Parking Lot” by the locals, good news its soft sand bottom.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Came through from Bahamas end of July w/ 5’ draft. Markers are correct plenty of water favor south side. Avoid weekend if possible and beware of current (we have a slow boat). Municipal marina was up and running as well.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Have used it this summer and the markers are fine, the chart plotter was accurate as well. Start at the sea buoy and keep red to your right and you will be fine.

As to the ICW corner. They have dredged that corner and removed the red marker that was right on the corner as it is no longer needed. I went through there two weekends ago and there was plenty of water inside where that mark used to be. It is still on the plotter maps though. As I was coming south on the ICW into St Augustine a trawler had just some in the inlet and stopped on the St Augustine side that corner. He was waiting for me as he got turned around looking up Salt Run Creek towards the Conch House and he couldn't see the Bridge of Lions or the Municipal Marina. So he hailed me and I gave him directions and told him to follow me as that is where I was going. Plus I got to get into my slip before him!

The St Augustine Municipal Marina is 100% up and running. As I am sure you are aware try and time your arrival to a slack tide, or near it. If not, do not hesitate to go directly bow in, you will see that many many boats do just that.

Let me know if you need any info on the town or area.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
We were there a few weeks ago and had a devil of a time picking up a mooring. It was a combination of strong current and a short pendent with a heavy eyelet dangling in the water: the eyelet only reached 3/4 way up to our bow. After a handful of tries the Dockmaster came out with a skiff and helped us out. Don’t hesitate to ask for help when needed, they were very friendly and were well tipped!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
We were there a few weeks ago and had a devil of a time picking up a mooring. It was a combination of strong current and a short pendent with a heavy eyelet dangling in the water: the eyelet only reached 3/4 way up to our bow. After a handful of tries the Dockmaster came out with a skiff and helped us out. Don’t hesitate to ask for help when needed, they were very friendly and were well tipped!
Good point. They have a boat sitting right there by the office and if anyone needs help they jump in and off they go. Don't hesitate for one minute to ask for it as they are kept pretty busy doing this for boaters - they work there so understand the currents etc.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami
Plenty of water there, but the channel as you ran it has moved about 300 yards south of where is was in 2016. Once you clear the sea buoy if you steer 270 true for .4 miles you can use the cross as a range in combination with the current marks to guide you in safely. If you want the waypoints from our entry or exit track log from 4 weeks ago just send a pm.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Smithfield
I am by no means a local but have run that inlet several times. Last year being the latest time. Putting it simplistically isn’t the “rule” of this inlet to favor the reds. I don’t know about some of you all but sometimes it helps me to have a simple summation of what to do in troublesome areas. In GA I am kind of white knuckling the wheel and my wife is reading the Active Captain remarks and most times my mind can’t process the really detailed instructions.
motoryacht lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #9

Thank you all for the input so far.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
I went through last Sunday ....decent swell from southeast but had an in coming tide so all went well. Channel/inlet is well marked and I favored the red side as the breakers right next to the green we’re a little close for my taste.
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #11

Posting a follow up in case anyone is searching threads in the future.

We went through the inlet inbound and outbound this week. Saw plenty of water, 14+ in the channel.

Only comment is that the channel does have an abrupt turn, Green marker which when honored feels like you are going up to the beach, but that is the channel and where the water is.

The markers are small, suspect they would be difficult to find in darkness or inclement weather. Start at the STA buoy, easy to see and follow on a clear day.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Fan. A question regarding terminology, if I may. You use the term "honor" and I've heard "favor" as well. I suspect they both mean the same thing but what do the terms mean exactly? Go close to a marker or stay far away from the marker? Sorry, neither is a common term around here. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

Sorry for the imprecise language.

By honor - my intent was I followed the marked channel. I didn't mean to communicate that I favored one side or the other - although I did definitely cut around the green very close since it was close to the beach.