SSCA Gam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
The SSCA is a group I have been part of for decades.

My docks in FL are open as a Cruising Stop .

Their meetings cover cruising info, and this weekend there is a GAM in Essex CT.

If one is interested in venturing off the dock, why not come??

[SIZE=+2]Upcoming SSCA Gam:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Essex Summer Solstice Gam - Essex, CT -June 19-22[/SIZE]
Online Registration is Now Open!

[SIZE=+2]Seven Seas U Upcoming Webinars[/SIZE]

• * Marine Weather Foundations with Lee Chesneau - June 16/17
      * Identifying and Interpreting Clouds with Lee Chesneau - June 23
      * Pilot Charts for Passage Planning with Lee Chesneau - June 30

SSCA Members receive a discount on EVERY Seven Seas U webinar. Join SSCA now and start saving!
      Go to the Seven Seas U Course Catalog to register. If you ever have any questions regarding Seven Seas U, please don’t hesitate to contact SevenSeasU@ssca.org.
      SSCA members, login to the password protected Members' Section to the link to the Members Seven Seas U Catalog.
      -----------------------------------------------

I just have to say that I spent a couple of years trying to get trawler involvement into SSCA. I've spoken at the largest of their Gams (Melbourne and Annapolis) and attended 4 of them.

SSCA is a fantastic organization. ...for sailors.

I found it hostile (yes, hostile) to trawler owners. I have never been openly yelled at at an anchorage while attending an event - and I have a fair amount of anchoring experience. It wasn't anything technically wrong that I was doing. The sailboat next to me just didn't want a trawler there. I had these same types of not-being-wanted-feelings over and over at SSCA functions including direct conversations with board members (although definitely not all of them feel that way).

I tried to give feedback about the experiences over and over including a few long and detailed letters to their entire board. I finally gave up after nothing was ever done - in fact, no one on the board has yet to respond to my direct concerns.

I was personally responsible for about 100 new trawler member couples joining their organization. I don't think many renewed. I know that I didn't after a few years or hoping.

It's a terrible shame. There should be a group of cruising boaters that could get together and share cruising information outside of propulsion method. I wanted SSCA to be that organization. Perhaps some day, they might be. It isn't there yet.

I agree , but the information they pass out is especially useful to a novice cruiser , power or sail.

Their lack of love for power boaters is mostly from small anchorages smelling and hearing a noisemaker all night , and from rotten passes by so many power boats., trawler style included.

their lack of love for power boaters is mostly from small anchorages smelling and hearing a noisemaker all night , and from rotten passes by so many power boats., trawler style included.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434372892.933063.jpg

Back
Top Bottom