Spun prop, temporary fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
A few days ago my dink engine, a 9.9 Merc 4-stroke, would speed up but the dink wouldn’t accelerate, it was a spun prop. Since we are full time cruisers and spend most of the time on the hook not having a dink engine is a major problem.

The propeller housing w/blades is attached to a splined barrel by flexible rubber that is not replaceable on smaller props.The entire unit then slides over the splined propeller shaft.The rubber will absorb shocks from grounding or hitting something but as it ages, it will deteriorate to the point of separating the barrel from the outer propeller housing.

I was able to pull the prop off as the rubber was all deteriorated. The barrel which would be attached to the rubber was suck on the splined prop shaft.I hadn’t pulled the prop off in over a year and we are in salt water. I had a Bernz-o-matic head but no propane cylinder.I was able to use the hose from my 11 pound propane tank to the grill, same fitting.I heated the barrel but it wouldn’t budge.I ended up taking some candle wax and placing it on top of the corroded splined shaft/barrel.As it melted it ran down between the shaft and the barrel and the barrel slid right off.I pushed the barrel back in the propeller, drilled 3 holes around the base of the prop casing and pinned the casing and rubber to the barrel with machine screws. It’s a short term fix, until my new prop comes in.At least I can get to shore.

Attachments

• prop fix xx.jpg
    prop fix xx.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 112
Up this way we call that Yankee ingenuity. Good going.

Ken

I just ordered a new prop for our Suzuki dink engine to replace the one whose blade I bent coming in to a beach. It was pleasantly less expensive than I expected, $70. That happens so rarely in boats I thought I'd pass it on.

I'm keeping the old one as a spare.

Yer Sir good fix, just don't ground the prop hard, may bend the prop shaft before the pined hub slips.

I have heard of using 5200/4200 pumped into the area where the rubber is/was to replace it. No 1st hand experience but guy was a charter operator with a bunch of dinks to care for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom