Spray Cold Galvanizing Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a test on my boat before I splashed it in June. I have a twin engine boat. I used different coatings on different parts of the underwater running gear. I primed some with a two part primer and other parts I did not. I used cold galvanizing paint on some parts And no ablative paint on others. The best results came from using a primer covered with nonablative paint. On the prop shaft which was clearly the winner, there was zero hard or soft growth when I hauled the boat four months later. The paint did not adhere well to stainless or bronze without a primer.

But

we have used rustoleum cold galvanizing spray for 6 full seasons on 2 boats: one in long island sound (branford, ct) and the other in florida and bahamas (marsh harbour) with extremely good results. i do a light sand of previous year and then 2 spray coats. no barnacles on the parts i spray (props, shafts, and trim tabs).

John runs his boat faster than many of us do.... wonder what if that makes a difference? Meanwhile John, see you in a few months.

Gordon

Would be nice to know where green cove springs is. I wish people would put the state they live it so we have an idea where people are.

But Duetto,
I found it works too. But Armor-All works better where I am. Most of my experience has been in SE Alaska .. as in cold water and far less light. I don’t just dab on a little I flood the blades w a brush 3-4 times and sand w fine before. Next time I’ll do hard AF w a primer.

Green Cove springs is in Florida on the St Johns river but he told us where his boats were berthed and I believe that is all we need to know.....
"we have used rustoleum cold galvanizing spray for 6 full seasons on 2 boats: one in long island sound (branford, ct) and the other in florida and bahamas (marsh harbour) with extremely good results."

we have used rustoleum cold galvanizing spray for 6 full seasons on 2 boats: one in long island sound (branford, ct) and the other in florida and bahamas (marsh harbour) with extremely good results. i do a light sand of previous year and then 2 spray coats. no barnacles on the parts i spray (props, shafts, and trim tabs).

Same good results that we get in Long Island sound except we are on the Long Island side.

Back
Top Bottom