Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Split:Music and Water Mix Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
Rwidman the name of the ďgerman restaurantĒ just off the waterfront in Sanford is Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe. Iíve been there 2 or 3 times during our two St. Johns cruises.

They have a website.

Iím also about 45 mins. by car, but have never had the urge to drive over.

Sorry for the hijack.

Mike
I could have found the name, I was just a little too lazy to do so.

BTW: As a musician, I was very impressed with the two piece band, especially considering that one of them did most of the singing and the other played all the instruments.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

BTW: As a musician....
What kind of music?

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:

I could have found the name, I was just a little too lazy to do so.

BTW: As a musician, I was very impressed with the two piece band, especially considering that one of them did most of the singing and the other played all the instruments.
Were they Chinese flight school students in the band?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What kind of music?
They played German music and wore the appropriate outfits.

Me, I started out playing 50's rock and roll (It wasn't called 50's rock and roll back then, just rock and roll. )

Later, I switched to playing country music. Actual country music, not what's being passed off today as country music.

I played full time for several years, then weekends up until a year or so ago.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Were they Chinese flight school students in the band?
Nope, older white German looking guys.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Ron, I was a professional musician also. I toured the US in bands for many years, played concerts and festivals in FL, on the strip in Las Vegas, Crater festival and clubs in Hawaii and The Whiskey A Go Go here in LA.

I play bass, what do you play?
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
They played German music and wore the appropriate outfits.

Me, I started out playing 50's rock and roll (It wasn't called 50's rock and roll back then, just rock and roll. )
Sorry, I meant you. What instrument did you play or were you vocals or both?

I'm interested in that a big part of my job is producing music for our videos that warrant an original score. While I would not consider myself as a musician by any means (I've messed around with the dobro since the mid-70s and more recently started playing an electric guitar, but just for my own entertainment), the music aspect of my job is the most enjoyable to me.

We work with an amazing composer/arranger in the Seattle area who is also a professional performer (bass and classical guitar). And the videographer I work the closest with is a rock bass player who's recently returned to it after several decades of not playing at all. In addition to his day job at Boeing he now plays with two local bands.

As a result of a recent Boeing production I am directing and editing, I and my wife have recently entered the new world (for us) of commercial music producing with a young local violinist who is most likely destined for greatness in some way or another. We have two CD projects in the works with her and the aforementioned composer/arranger.

I don't know that there is any connection between music and boating (there is between boating and flying), but I've found it interesting how many boaters we know who have music performing in some way as part of their past or present lives.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #8

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
I've been teaching Middle School Instrumental Music for 34 years. Play out locally now and then, mostly legit. Clarinet major minor in percussion.

Rob
Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
I've been teaching Middle School Instrumental Music for 34 years. Play out locally now and then, mostly legit. Clarinet major minor in percussion.

Rob
Rob,
My kids used to bring their clarinets to the boat when we go out boating for the weekend just so they don't skip practicing. I'm sure you can appreciate that. They're high schoolers now and are proficient players. Too bad they don't bring their instruments to the boat anymore as the music they make now is music.

Here's my son's performance last Saturday
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #10

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Mahal,

That was fantastic! Is the soloist your son? Great sound. I would love to hear the rest of the concert. The band has a very good sense of sound and balance.

Precticing on the boat paid off. I would be willing to bet other boaters liked it too.

Several years ago my Middle School Jazz group was asked to play in a summer series. Since school was out we had to rehearse at my house several times. By the end of the first rehearsal (on the back porch) the nieghbors were bringing lawn chairs and setting up in the back yard. They were not bad for the age group but nothing like your son's band.

Congratulations,

Rob
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #11

Rob,

Thanks for the compliment and yes my son is the soloist. He is also the first alto in the Southern California High school All Star Jazz band.

We have a very strong middle school band here. Last week, they entered in a high school intermediate category and got third place beating some high school bands. It was in middle school that my son and daughter developed into musicians. They had a teacher that they loved and was a good motivator. They stop by the middle school every now and then to visit their old music teacher and help with the kids.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Talk about thread creep but what a cool topic, should we split it off?
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Yeah, you could split it off if you like. Be interesting to hear what other Forum members might have to say on the subject.

Mahal--- Very impressive performance. Thanks for putting it up.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #14

Yes please split the thread.

Thanks for the compliment Marin.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

Mahal--- Does your son still play clarinet or has he switched over to the sax completely now?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Mahal--- Does your son still play clarinet or has he switched over to the sax completely now?
He has switched to sax and flute. He played the clarinet in middle school symphonic band. Although last year he had a paid gig playing the clarinet along side professional musicians for a community theater musical.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

Is it easy to go back and forth? (Obviously I know zip about woodwind instruments.)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #18

Like you, I know nothing about woodwinds or music, just a fan. My son says it's not easy for him to play the clarinet after not playing it for a while. He has to practice long and hard to get back to it. Plus the clarinet is not an easy instrument to get good at like the sax. That's according to both my kids.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I pretend to play country and bluegrass guitar my sons however are quite good at a variety of instruments and genres. Between the 3 boys all play the guitar, 2 play fiddle and mandolin, and 1 plays clarinet.

My guitar playing is poor at best but it served as a springboard for our children to explore the musical arts and for that I am grateful.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #20
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Wow-come home from a long day at work (Tax Season!) and find this very cool thread. While I am not any kind of a musician, there moust be some musical in my genes. My son is a Jr. Hi band director in North Carolina and an alto sax jazz musician. He also writes shows for marching bands. He started the program in a new school 3 years ago and has already received statewide recognition for his program. My daughter, here in Seattle (she is adopted form China so no genes there!), plays flute, regular and baritone, and piccolo at Eckstein Middle, one of the best middle school programs going and will move on to the jazz program at Roosevelt High here. Roosevelt is one of the best High School programs in the country-won or placed in the Top 5 in the nationwide Ellington Competition at Lincoln Center for about 8 years running.

I am a just music lover. Just a quick story on the power of music. My son is totally unathletic-growing up in a rural area where athletics are king, he had real self-esteem and academic issues early in school. In 6th grade, a music teacher got him interested in the sax and he just blossomed. Won several state soloist awards in high school, and was recognized for it at school. I have always thought that that one teacher turned my son's life around. As my son tells me-"Music is Power"!

THD is offline   Reply With Quote