Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #41

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
I think the determining factor here is that it is a very old unit that I plan on replacing in the next year or so at the most. I'll take a stab at a repair first. Gives me a chance to practice a new skill.

That's certainly your prerogative, but if you do that and it DOES fail, you do know WHEN it will fail, right?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #42
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Folks...it's only a RADAR and unless he's a diehard..many don't cruise at night or foul weather....even then RADAR is nice but hardly an emergency if it doesn't work....especially if you even think it might and plan around it's possible failure.

I see any of the suggestions as possibles...

Me...like LarryM did ( a very well travelled long distance cruiser)....I'd use a euro style terminal strip for future disconnects and put it in a weather proof housing. And that's after doing all the different ways already suggested when installing gear for a marine electronics firm.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
,I was forced to repair a cable on a Raymarine radar the same as you. A trip to Radio Shack will get you the proper size connectors. use quality heat shrink tubing of the correct size and you will not have any problems
I would not use Radio Shack terminals if there's any possibility of finding another brand. When I did this sort of thing for a living, Radio Shack was our last resort. We didn't want to have to go back and do work over again because of faulty materials.

Take a Anchor brand connector with you to Radio Shack and you'll see the difference.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #44

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Folks...it's only a RADAR and unless he's a diehard..many don't cruise at night or foul weather....even then RADAR is nice but hardly an emergency if it doesn't work....especially if you even think it might and plan around it's possible failure.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question...

Suppose you found yourself in the absurdly contrived position of being in a room with 100 pretty girls and you could kiss any one of them. Kissing 99 of them carries no consequence whatsoever, but ONE of them is carrying a terrible disease and if you contract it you will die in hideous suffering.

Do you kiss any of them?

Please understand that I am not disagreeing with what you said. I just don't want my concern to be misunderstood.

I'm simply pointing out that risk is a function of multiple variables. Low Risk + High Consequence and High Risk + Low Consequence both produce an undesirable outcome.

It's like homeowner's insurance. Nobody buys it because they REALLY believe their house is going to burn down. They buy it because if it does, they want to be protected.

One last thing...
My concern is really based on the types of cable being used and the implications of their use. I suspect that if there if there is any UTP being used that it is part of something like an RS-232 cable or something similar. Or even higher rate. That's all. If that's not the case then what I said is irrelevant.

Anyway, everyone have a good weekend. I've got to run.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #45
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'd just splice it using your favorite methods, seal it with shrink wrap and see if it works.

If it works and the connections are sealed, I think the risk of it failing unexpectedly are pretty low. How much vibration do you really think the repair is exposed to?

Radars poop all the time. It's a nav aid, rarely is it vital.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Escher View Post
Let me ask you a hypothetical question...

Suppose you found yourself in the absurdly contrived position of being in a room with 100 pretty girls and you could kiss any one of them. Kissing 99 of them carries no consequence whatsoever, but ONE of them is carrying a terrible disease and if you contract it you will die in hideous suffering.

Do you kiss any of them?

Please understand that I am not disagreeing with what you said. I just don't want my concern to be misunderstood.

I'm simply pointing out that risk is a function of multiple variables. Low Risk + High Consequence and High Risk + Low Consequence both produce an undesirable outcome.

It's like homeowner's insurance. Nobody buys it because they REALLY believe their house is going to burn down. They buy it because if it does, they want to be protected.

One last thing...
My concern is really based on the types of cable being used and the implications of their use. I suspect that if there if there is any UTP being used that it is part of something like an RS-232 cable or something similar. Or even higher rate. That's all. If that's not the case then what I said is irrelevant.

Anyway, everyone have a good weekend. I've got to run.
having my experience at sea and boats..and the number of radar cables that I have installed and spliced...your hypothetical is just that...

I was underway today for 10 hours into my annual trip of 2500 miles and then 8 months solid of commercial marine work....how about you?

Plus the number one thin I push here on TF is that recreational boating can be an X-treme sport if you make it or as benign as a friendly game of golf...depends how you approach it...not evey time you get underway is it a mission to Mars.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #47
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
If at all possible I would go with a terminal strip if a new cable is not an option. That way you have a way to disconnect the cable in the future if needed.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I'd just splice it using your favorite methods, seal it with shrink wrap and see if it works.

If it works and the connections are sealed, I think the risk of it failing unexpectedly are pretty low. How much vibration do you really think the repair is exposed to?

Radars poop all the time. It's a nav aid, rarely is it vital.
Thank you...very good point.

Plus from my experience...most small boat radars really aren't all that useful when you REALLY need them...like picking out the buoys in a foggy, breaking inlet at night....I just pray the chatplotter is 100%. Even if the radar works OK, the skipper is just barely up to it....maybe....
Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
If at all possible I would go with a terminal strip if a new cable is not an option. That way you have a way to disconnect the cable in the future if needed.

Bob
Absolutely...it's what I have seen dozens of times by many a pro marine electronics outfit once the cable was cut for shipping (radar arch removed).

Their opinion...will be ready for the next time.

And why would a well protected (and visible for inspection versus crimps and heat shrink) terminal strip be any diff than a plug on an extension cable?

And from my installer days.... all the major brands said repair was OK as long as the cable length wasn't substantially changed...especially on the older Raytheon models.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #50
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I've had the misfortune to have to splice a radar cable twice. Both times, I didn't have ANY extra cable to allow a "proper" splice using terminal strips and a waterproof box.

The wires will be all shapes and sizes. Some will be twisted pairs, one might be shielded. The whole bundle may be shielded. None should be solid conductors, all should be stranded wire. You should try to keep the separation of the twisted pairs to a bare minimum. Make absolutely sure you maintain the continuity of the shielding.

Most of these wires are just too small for a proper heat-shrink crimped butt splice. I was forced to go with a soldered connection on those. Staggered to the extent possible, and well insulated; heat-shrink tubing where possible.

The first one I did lasted at least 7 years, and was still going strong last I knew.

The biggest problem with solder is that it makes a stiff connection, and vibrations cause the strands to flex just at the point where the solder ends. This causes a weak spot that could eventually break. My thought is that with these tiny wires, all insulated and tightly wrapped in a bundle, the lateral movement at these points will be minimal.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote