Spiders - how to safely rid a boat of spiders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
South Carolina and Georgia, we call them Palmetto bugs.
If you want a real problem, the much smaller one are called German cockroaches.
I think the only way one can control those is to burn the boat. I’m not sure if tenting the boat and fumigating will help.
I walked away from one boat purchase when I saw them running around the bilges.

They are still cockroaches no matter what you call them…

They are still cockroaches no matter what you call them…

Dave, if you have the small light brown cockroaches, they are called German cockroaches and very difficult to get rid of.

Yes, but they all are cockroaches. Just ask my wife. She had never seen one until the Navy moved us to Florida.

Chestnuts keep the spiders away. Just put a slice in them and scatter them around. We haven't had spiders in years.

Yes, but they all are cockroaches. Just ask my wife. She had never seen one until the Navy moved us to Florida.

Now those are no doubt Palmetto bugs. SMILE. BIG and black but can still pretty fast. If you are quick, you can scoop them up with your hand. If you dont want to do that, step on them

Hi all,
I know, I know. Spiders basically come with the boat. We have them on the outside, on the enclosed Sundeck and enclosed upper helm. We don't see many inside the boat itself.
I am looking for ways to eliminate/reduce the number of spiders we get. I have used the 'Spider Away' spray and the bags. I'm not really sure they work that well.
A neighbor a couple of slips away uses what looks to be a 'no pest strip' or something like that. It is a white plastic. I saw them in Home Depot, but it bascially says not for enclosed spaces.
Any ideas, suggestions, fool but safe proof products?

Thanks
Len

Geckos eat spiders and make great pets.

Not suggesting the extensive use of silicone onboard but, while having a silicone dampcourse pressure injected into brick walls of an older inner suburb house, the installer told me cockroaches hate it and will depart immediately. And they did.

Hi,
We have our Boat on the Columbia River and our spiders are like small animals. We use a pesticide called Tempo. It is restaurant rated safe though I do not use on the inside of the boat. Works very well and wherever you spray it it stays active for about three months.

Best stuff I ever used is branded Bop. Got in the windwards. Have never seen it since. Used it on everything even dock lines which is key to prevent roaches and ants. For most bugs simple boric acid not 20 mule team but simple boric acid works great. A perimeter is what you want. Bugs get it on their legs then clean themselves and die. Some mix it with flour or sugar to use as a trap and that works as well. Biggest deal for roaches to don’t let them in. We strip all packing materials especially cardboard off every thing before it enters the boat. Even drop cereal into a ziplock and discard their packaging. No roaches as no eggs get in the boat.

On the lake where I am, there’s a company that you can hire to spray the dock monthly. They use a product called Essentria. You can get it on Amazon. It looks to be natural oils. We’re not free of spiders, but it helps.

Back
Top Bottom