Old 07-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Folk seem to make a big deal re paint colour in terms of fade and heat absorption, with darker colours being avoided, but frankly, for sheer looks I'd take a dark colour like black, dark green, or even red, any day over boring, glarey white. Modern paint technology means they are very fade resistant, especially the 2-packs, and as to heat absorption, that is over-rated, as much more heat comes in through decks, and especially windows, than the hull sides, and it's much the same for cars. I'm sure MarkPierce would agree, as his Coote, which is a dark green is a really good example.

The paints also do seem to last better than gelcoat for some reason. Our first yacht was originally gelcoat red, but faded badly, the re-coat in International (Interlux) 2 pack stayed as good as new for the whole time we owned it. Pic 1 in early post re-paint days, the 2nd just before we sold her. These pics are old gloss photos scanned in using a scan app on the iPad, by the way, so not your super hi def. digital photo.

Sorry re minor thread hijack, but the subject of colours brought the issue to mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	54101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	54102  

Old 07-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Folk seem to make a big deal re pain colour in terms of fade, with darker colours being avoided, but frankly, for sheer looks I'd take a dark colour like black, dark green, or even red, any day over boring, glarey white. Modern paint technology means they are very fade resistant.
I think there's a subtle point perhaps. You say "modern paint technology means they are fade resistant" and I'd agree that paint is much better than it once was. However, my observations are that gelcoat colors still have a significant fade issue if left exposed to the elements. On the lake where all boats were gelcoated, none painted, it was much more of a noticeable problem than I've observed in coastal situations where most of the dark or bright colors are paint, not gelcoat.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, exactly, which is why I said...

"The paints also do seem to last better than gelcoat for some reason. Our first yacht was originally gelcoat red, but faded badly, the re-coat in International (Interlux) 2 pack stayed as good as new for the whole time we owned it."

You might have missed that, being dazzled by the vivid red..?
Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #24
Guru

No question that modern linear urethane paints have far better resistance to fade than gelcoat, especially when the gelcoat is not maintained.
They also have more shine.
The heat issue is a real though and the best way to see the effect is to head below on sisterships of different colors. Been there and believe me, dark color hulls get much hotter!

Gelcoat is what comes on the AT 395 however and the lighter green color we are looking at will be much easier to keep looking good than a dark color. Waxing is far, far easier and less expensive than having a boat painted! I will bet that in 10 years, that green hull will look great. Here is a picture of our current 11 year old sailboat taken this year before the hull was cleaned and waxed. It has an awesome shine because I have not let it deteriorate. Once you get behind the curve with gelcoat it is over. You can get it to shine but it won't last. Keep it clean and waxed and it can look great for a long, long time.
Just for the record, this boat is no "dock queen" (love that expression by the way!) we use her and have sailed her hard. Three trips to Bermuda and literally years of sailing time on her in cumulative time...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	54104  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #25

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
I was tied up next to a *very* red AT earlier today. I assumed it was painted, but reading this thread now realize it could have been gel coat. This was in one of the summer resort towns on the Trent Severn and I heard a few people walking by comment on the colour. Sorry now I didn't take a picture!

Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote