Old 02-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
SouthWest Florida Realtor

My wife and I are planning to winter in Florida in a condo and summer on the boat in Narragansett bay. We may eventually bring the boat down to Florida full time in a few years but right now we like cruising the the bay and Long Island sound.

We are looking somewhere between Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, Fort Myers area.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a realtor in this area?

Does anyone have any opinions on living in this area?

thank you in advance

jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Why that area? Further north in the Tampa st. Pete area you have great airport and every service a major metro area can offer. Since you aren't planning on a boat here there are zillions of choices of condos, on the water, in the city, on golf courses, on the beach or just plain cheap.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I live in Fort Myers and like it very much. My boat is in Cape Coral and could be happy living there also. As close as they are to each other, they are a world apart as far as realtors. Same for North Fort Myers, South Fort Myers, and Fort Myers Beach. When I was looking to move down, I spent a couple weeks looking between Punta Gorda and Naples. Once I narrowed it down to FM, it took a couple of one week vacations to zero in on the right neighborhoods, and then find the house.

A key thing to remember in this area is that house turnover is huge. Lots of people move here to retire, live 10+ years and die. Then the kids sell the house off. So, with that much turnover, the good realtors concentrate on much smaller areas than you would expect.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Why that area? Further north in the Tampa st. Pete area you have great airport and every service a major metro area can offer. Since you aren't planning on a boat here there are zillions of choices of condos, on the water, in the city, on golf courses, on the beach or just plain cheap.
We have a great airport with better parking, on average warmer temperatures in the winter, less crime, much less traffic, Closer to the FL Keys and SE FL coast if you want to go there.

Ted
Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: 1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler

I'll have to agree with Ted, we've lived in SW Florida, specifically PuntaGorda for almost 20 years, and I can't imagine a more beautiful place to live year round. We've regularly cruised Long Island Sound out to Martha's Vineyard, as as gorgeous as some of those areas are, I have memories of 50+ winters that takes the bloom off the rose. Judd, if you want to talk about SW FLorida, private message me, and I'll give you my cell number, and I'll fill you in on the area.
Jim
VJameslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
A key thing to remember in this area is that house turnover is huge. Lots of people move here to retire, live 10+ years and die. Then the kids sell the house off. So, with that much turnover, the good realtors concentrate on much smaller areas than you would expect.
This is true of much of Florida, although most live more than 10 years. The cycle is closer to 20 years but it does exist.

In addition to retirees, SW Florida is a favorite of Europeans. Many buy vacation homes and rent them out when they are not there.

We strongly considered the same area when we were moving from Brevard County but got turned off by the congestion. Real estate can be tricky there. Many HOAs require large capital contribution fees above and beyond the buying price of the house and sometime a plethora of other fees and/or memberships. We opted to move to Vero Beach on the east coast and thoroughly enjoyed it before we found our current house on the St Johns. I would highly recommend Vero Beach.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Some years ago Ken and Karen Rolland- http://krolland.net/ showed us property in Punta Gorda Isles. I can certainly recommend this realtor couple.

PGI and the surrounding area is my favorite in SW Florida. Cheaper than the Sarasota area but not as dense as Cape Coral. When we looked in PGI 5-6 years ago, canal front homes could be had for $300K and canal front condos for $200K. The high condo fees turned us off then, but with foreclosures under control, condo fees have probably stabilized, but prices are no doubt higher.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
If you want to look in Punta Gorda Luke Andre is your man. Ilovepuntagorda.com

I have done three real estate deals with him and have never seen a better agent.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246

My boat is at Tarpon Point Marina in Cape Coral, and I'm with Ted that this is a great area to consider. The cruising grounds from Punta Gorda and Boca Grande in the north, to Cayo Costa, Captiva, Sanibel islands, and the beaches from Ft Myers Beach to Naples to Marco Island are wonderful variety for boating, and RSW is an awesome, easy airport. We live in Atlanta and are able to get down 6-8 times a year.

We looked at property in Cape Coral and had a really good realtor. PM me and I will look up her contact info...
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: THIRD CHILD
Vessel Model: KADEY KROGEN 48AE-0061
I've been a visitor to the Ft. Myers area since 1981. If quiet suits you, take a peek at Pine Island.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
If you're coming down in January, then you'll appreciate the temperature variation between anything North of Punta Gorda vs South of PG. We live in N.Ft.Myers six months and Ontario the other six.
Glad we're here and not North of PG.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"If you're coming down in January, then you'll appreciate the temperature variation between anything North of Punta Gorda vs South of PG."

You bet till you get south of Lake O you are still in Georgia ,

Do you want to be in T shirt , or just out of the freezing cold?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"If you're coming down in January, then you'll appreciate the temperature variation between anything North of Punta Gorda vs South of PG."

You bet till you get south of Lake O you are still in Georgia ,

Do you want to be in T shirt , or just out of the freezing cold?
You guys make me laugh. I think we had 4 days where the high was below 70 in January and one in February and we are only 50 miles south of Jax (which is Georgia ...haha). If you want 85 degree temps in January, then so be it but some of us don't like 85 degree temps ever.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #14

City: PONTE VEDRA BEACH
I highly recommend Boca Grande. Charming town, no stop lights, nice people, great views, dog friendly and all you need is a golf cart to get around. You can rent a condo at Boca Grande North for a reasonable price (but no pets). Great views and small boat marina. If you want to be on the beach, but much more $$, check out boca grande club.
Grande Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
I know Boca Grande pretty well, having anchored there for a week or so. Cute, as you say, but expensive. Great for a vacation but I wonder how it would be to live there full time. It is a long way to anything.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
It's horrible down here! 😁
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Hudson River
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdud133 View Post
My wife and I are planning to winter in Florida in a condo and summer on the boat in Narragansett bay. We may eventually bring the boat down to Florida full time in a few years but right now we like cruising the the bay and Long Island sound.
Why not do an OC Diver move and bring your boat down with you? Seems sad to be on the water in FL and your boat in Narragansett.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
If you are coming down for some long term visits, my friend Darrell has a very nice house on a canal in Punta Gordy Isles that he rents out by the week and month. Winter might be a problem as it is usually rented out well in advance for winter months.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
Guru

Air temperatures in FL can vary widely from winter to winter. A good source of comparison is the USDA Hardness chart. It's updated about every 10 years and gives a 10 year history range of coldest expected temperature. The purpose of the chart is for agriculture, but it's very useful for getting regional coldest temperatures overview.

USDA Hardness Zones

Ted
Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #20
Guru

I sent a PM with a realtor contact

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote