Old 05-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Southern heat and keeping cool

I have searched the forum but was probably not typing in the right things. Interested to hear how you southern boaters keep a tolerable temp on the boat overnight on the hook in the summer months. We run the genny for an hour or two just before bed and run the AC. By the time 4am rolls around it is already really warm and stuffy on board. No inverter. Considering buying some DC fans. Any recommendations. Before I buy, how do some of you beat the overnight heat?

Scott
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Run the gen.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have 9 DC fans throughout Hobo with 3 in our sleeping area. Lena and I each have one that we control and the third one is for extra air or for Morgan. We also have a wind scoop. We have both the Caframos and Hellas (preferred). We spend months at anchor and it isn't practical or necessary to run the AC.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Run the gen.

On the warm muggy nights the wind doesn't blow enough to keep the exhaust from entering the boat. My co2 alarms end up going off around 2am.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
TF Site Team

We also have a bow awning that Lena made. It keeps the sun off the foredeck and allows the pilot house center window and the forward berth's hatch to stay open in all but the heaviest of rain squalls.
Attached Thumbnails
awning.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Fans, wind scoops and awnings.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We are pleasure boaters, in that order. When it is really humid and sweltering we close up and run the genset, why not. Never tripped the alarms. In conditions where it is not quite so sticky, then fans (including one big one off the inverter) and hatches open. Nice thing about being on the hook, you are always pointed into the wind.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Like the birds, travel North in the spring to cooler summer areas. Travel South in the fall to warmer winter locals.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If setting off the CO alarms, must be a gasoline genset and if it is making a good bit of CO, the carb is running rich. Rich mixture means gobs of CO in exhaust. Diesel does not make much CO except if running in overload.

Here in coastal NC, running gennie and AC til bedtime almost always means comfortable sleeping. In an inland lake, it may be too warm to make it through the night with it off.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We run the genny. All the time.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
If we're not plugged into shore power, we're running the generator. We've always lived in air conditioning and can't imagine sleeping in a warm climate without it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #12

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Maybe you have an exhaust leak. Even a gas genset should not set off a cabin CO detector on a calm night.

I use a Caframo Taku hatch fan on pleasant nights to move a decent amount of air into the cabin. When it gets hot, the hatches close and the generator comes on.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Are there any reliable rechargeable-battery DC fans? Something that doesn't require wiring into the boat's DC systems, yet could be recharged when running the genset later during the day (while cooking and recharging the main battery banks, etc.)?

-Chris
Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
Maybe you have an exhaust leak. Even a gas genset should not set off a cabin CO detector on a calm night.

I use a Caframo Taku hatch fan on pleasant nights to move a decent amount of air into the cabin. When it gets hot, the hatches close and the generator comes on.

I have had the genny checked for leaks and have even placed a co2 monitor in the engine room while running. I think I am narrowing it down, but on dead calm nights, I think my engine room blower is pulling in exhaust fumes back into the boat. I say this because if I do not run the blower, I can go hours longer without the co2 monitors going off. I may need to position the blowers differently. However, I will say that it is not uncommon on lake Lanier for other boaters to complain of the same thing.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We have 9 DC fans throughout Hobo with 3 in our sleeping area. Lena and I each have one that we control and the third one is for extra air or for Morgan. We also have a wind scoop. We have both the Caframos and Hellas (preferred). We spend months at anchor and it isn't practical or necessary to run the AC.

Thanks for the tip! I may try a few of the Hellas to see where that gets us.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Is there a particular reason you are running the blowers all night?

While people might cite the possibility of explosion, I don't think most people do and there doesn't seem to be rash of explosions from running a gas genset.

I believe the blower issue is really for starting as most blowers aren't continuous duty anyway. On diesels...different issue and thoughts.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
On our previous boat we had the same issue with the gasoline generator. We too ran the blowers at night and had to stop that to keep the CO2 out of the generator compartment and the boat. Then one day I had one of those duh-huh moments when I realized the blowers intake was installed on the same side as the generator exhaust! Easy fix but you might also have the same issue. Just a thought.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #18

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
In Southern heat, 85-94 degrees, 70-90% humidity, the genny becomes my best friend. I have as many hours on the genny as my Cats.....
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Are there any reliable rechargeable-battery DC fans? Something that doesn't require wiring into the boat's DC systems, yet could be recharged when running the genset later during the day (while cooking and recharging the main battery banks, etc.)?

-Chris
The O2 Cool 10" fan is rechargeable. You can spend $80 at WM or $60 at Home D for the same fan. Wal-Mart occasionally has them for ~$20. We have an older one (no USB port) but only use it when we are tied to a dock when we are varnishing or painting inside.

10-Inch Portable Smart Power Fan - Fan Model FD10006AU | O2COOL

We wired the Hella 2 speed Turbo fans to the 12VDC light circuits. The fans only draw 6.5 watts with the reported 5000 hour motors so I wasn't concerned about overloading. Occasionally you'll get a fan that vibrates or blades spin a little out of balance. I return those. I've had the same problem with the Caframos.
Attached Thumbnails
011.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I was under the impression blowers suck air OUT of the engine space....not into it?????
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote