Southern heat and keeping cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to laugh at the "Southern heat" part of the title. Official record high, Fort Lauderdale 98 degrees, NYC 102 degrees, Charlotte NC 104 degrees, Houston 106 degrees, Dallas 110 degrees, Atlanta 105 degrees, Chicago 104 degrees.

I would pretty much say the entire Eastern half of the country.

The only part of the US I would consider boating in the summer without air would be the PNW. Record high, Seattle 96, Juneau 90. While every day isn't a record day, these records do indicate the heat many areas experience. And my luck has been bad it seems for I can't tell you how many times in my life I've been somewhere that the weather was extreme and the locals always told me these are record highs, record lows, record snowfall, record rain, record drought. "We never get weather like this." My response, "Well you have it now."

I laugh about that all the time. We have been in the Keys for three years now. I would much rather be down here in the summer than most places up north and I was born and raised in Indiana.

I have to laugh at the "Southern heat" part of the title. Official record high, Fort Lauderdale 98 degrees, NYC 102 degrees, Charlotte NC 104 degrees, Houston 106 degrees, Dallas 110 degrees, Atlanta 105 degrees, Chicago 104 degrees.

I would pretty much say the entire Eastern half of the country.

The only part of the US I would consider boating in the summer without air would be the PNW. Record high, Seattle 96, Juneau 90. While every day isn't a record day, these records do indicate the heat many areas experience. And my luck has been bad it seems for I can't tell you how many times in my life I've been somewhere that the weather was extreme and the locals always told me these are record highs, record lows, record snowfall, record rain, record drought. "We never get weather like this." My response, "Well you have it now."

This is a far better and actually relevant comparison. Click on each city to see average highs by month.

Average Annual Temperatures for Large US Cities - Current Results

This is a far better and actually relevant comparison. Click on each city to see average highs by month.

Average Annual Temperatures for Large US Cities - Current Results

My point was it can be hot in many places. I don't argue that South Florida is on the average year round warmer than North Carolina. Just that I wouldn't want to boat off the coast of NC without air either as it can get hotter. Last August, Wilmington NC hit higher temperatures than Fort Lauderdale. And you can look at most summers and see the same. To me personally, it's the extremes that I find difficult.

Regardless, I'm not going without air.

My strategy is to stay east of the Rockies, out of the middle of a large continent, and out of the tropics.

I chose my boat for pleasure/comfort. Since I still work and spend limited time on the boat, I don’t think twice about running the generator 24/7 while needed. I hope to one day head south for the winter and enjoy the good weather. You can check the number of 90 degree days per year and coastal Florida may not be on top of the list in the south. On the lakes we have water temps in the 90’s in August, nights with temps in the mid 80’s with over 90% humidity and no wind. AC is the only relief.

If the water temp is cooler, what about washing down the decks before dark to lower their temp and solar absorption. Seems like a low cost dc pump should do it...

My strategy is to stay east of the Rockies, out of the middle of a large continent, and out of the tropics.

Can you please translate that. Did you mean west? Did the Rockies relocate or did California?

I think what Mark was trying to articulate is that he likes where he cruises and doesn't want to go anywhere else.

I think what Mark was trying to articulate is that he likes where he cruises and doesn't want to go anywhere else.

If so, I think he went astray.

Of course far different than you or us, wanting to go everywhere.

Planning on doing a bit of traveling, can anyone name a couple of SMALL continents that I my venture to the middle of?

This is what we have . It helps .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 80
Another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 90
That is interesting Marty. May I ask how you attach to the cabin?

I've got one (a big canvas, triangular, with a thru-hull so that if it rains water can be funneled into the tank) but haven't figured out a way to attach it to my pilothouse. Yet.

That is interesting Marty. May I ask how you attach to the cabin?

I've got one (a big canvas, triangular, with a thru-hull so that if it rains water can be funneled into the tank) but haven't figured out a way to attach it to my pilothouse. Yet.
We have three small cleats on the roof

Been to the tropics (Caribbean, Central America, Philippines) and east of the Rockies (Louisiana, Iowa, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey and so on). Found the climate not to my liking, thank you.

My brother had a 43' Pilgrim (lost in the last hurricane) here in Texas. In summer we always used the AC when anchored out. Along about 5:30 PM we had to "button up" when the first mosquito visited us out on Lake Sabine or the inside of the boat would become a bloody mess from smashing the mosquitoes that got in before closing her up. Sleeping in the heat is one thing but the heat with the mosquitoes is just miserable.

Glen

"I laugh about that all the time. We have been in the Keys for three years now. I would much rather be down here in the summer than most places up north and I was born and raised in Indiana.

You bet the keys is so surrounded by water its almost like being anchored out.

With a sun shade water temperature is as hot as it gets.No big deal!

The Keys , Destin and much of FL shore is known as the Redneck Riviera ,

It might be 110 in the shade inland , but on the coast the water temperature rules!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom