Southern CA Surveyor Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyrcooler

Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hello! First post - though I've been reading the site for a couple years.

My wife and I are putting an offer on a small trawler style boat here in Southern CA. While long time club sailors - this is our first large (to us) boat... HUGE leap filled with all the excitement, stress and emotions! :eek:

I am looking for a quality vessel surveyor and also a reputable mechanic to do an assessment/report on the engines and transmissions.

Boat is currently docked in OC. It is a mid-80's Taiwanese trawler with twin Perkins, so I am looking for surveyor's familiar with the issues of those boats and a mechanic intimately familiar with these older 135 HP N/A diesels.

The boat if purchased will be moved to San Diego - so a mechanic coming out of there that may be a good resource for the future would be a great double feature.

And - thanks to all of you for the past couple years of information, well-intended squabbles, and a few laughs.

Thanks

DJ

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I must be slipping of you've ONLY had a few laughs over the past couple of years...Note to self: Try harder...
tumblr_inline_mqoy4cq9SM1qz4rgp.gif

I can heartily recommend Bunker Hill in Newport Beach as an absolutely 1st class vessel surveyor. He well suggest that you spend the day with him as he surveys the vessel, showing you it's warts and features as you go, and educating you during the process on how the systems operate. He'll issue an excellent written report as well, and will be happy to recommend a competent engine surveyor for you, either in San Diego or Orange County. Note that if you chose to have a full-blown engine survey completed, expect to pay $$, especially if your surveyor has to travel from San Diego north. But may well be worth the money to you.

Regards,

Pete

Thank you for the reply jungpeter. I'll look them up.

I was hoping for a few more responses. I notice that in the quick link to active threads - the "Southern ÇA" doesn't show unless you open this thread. I can't edit the thread title - only the moderators can. Can someone advise on how to contact a moderator to make that change to move the location to the front of the title?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I must be slipping of you've ONLY had a few laughs over the past couple of years...Note to self: Try harder...
tumblr_inline_mqoy4cq9SM1qz4rgp.gif

I've had a good deal more than a few!

Thanks RTF
I'll be watching for many more, keep-up the good work.

Ted:lol::popcorn:

Bump. Hoping to get additional references or confirmation on the only one given.

Thanks folks!

Bump

(Thank you moderator for fixing the thread title!)

Last edited:
Bump

(Thank you moderator for fixing the thread title!)
Just here to help( well,kind of). I`m amazed how few responses you are getting. Come on guys!

Still need a surveyor!

Crickets! Only 1 name offered. Mr. Hill was a great gentleman to talk to - that I would like to use... but he is booked up.

One recommendation (offline) was not impressive. A second was "OK"... but was thumbed down by a couple of folks.

My broker is not from the area where the boat is. I really want recommendations other than the selling broker! This is an older boat - so I want to make sure I get a good survey on her.

thanks in advance!

It's not unheard of to pay travel expenses to bring your own surveyor to a boat in a different location. I know I would if an adequate local surveyor was not available.

Thanks. Yes - It would have been possible to pull a surveyor out of SD as well. Mostly I was hoping to get some first hand recommendations/validation of some of the names I was interviewing. Pretty surprised at the apparent lack of activity from SoCal folks.

Regardless... I had a couple short lists and interviewed several common names between the two and found a surveyor I am comfortable with. Likewise with the guy doing the engine assessment. I have the sea trial and survey scheduled in a week. Then we'll see if we become boat owners.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom