Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Like others here, we do not use the AC when leaving the boat during the week. We do run a small dehumidifier, which has worked great in terms of keeping the boat dry and avoiding any musty odors.

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I liveaboard on the Mississippi north of St. Louis most of the year. I turn the AC off anytime I'am away from the boat. The units are large enough that 1 will cool the boat pretty quickly in the covered slip when I return.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
When we are gone we use a dehumidifier from Lowes on a timer.
Well, I never thought of using a timer for the dehumidifier!! Duh. I hate to run one all the time, because the electric rates at my marina are exorbitant, but a timer would be perfect. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #24

City: Bristol PA
Dehumidifiers and things like electric space heaters are made pretty well. But please, Always check the outlet and plug, they tend to heat up, GFCI can and should trip, but don't assume they will
If a boat is at a marina the assumption is someone is making at least a walk by of the boats, but again I 'd not assume.
Jus saying
Old 07-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #25

you can wire a humidistat in parallel with the thermostat,thus only turning on when the humidity levels reach the set point.Humidistats don't care what the temperature is.That would cut your ac bill tremendousely.You can have days that are 90 degrees,but the humidity level is low,hence the ac wouldn't run.This prevents the odor,and mildew issue,without the expense,or the run time on the compressors.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I use a Peltier Effect dehumidifier that is about the size of a loaf of bread. It drops the humidity low enough that mildew doesn't grow. It uses very little power. I sit it next to the galley sink and run a drain hose into the sink drain.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
I felt like you for many years. However, this past 4th while I took a quick siesta, I was awaken by breakers, AC units going off and on in rapid fashion with reverse polarity red lights blinking on the AC panel! Cutting off everything AC I eventually found a very overheated (to the point of melting) power cord plug that's attached to the boat. Lost a tv, charger and a few other items fried. If I was not onboard know telling what could have happened. So now I'm a Denise convert with new power cord, better connections and leave only my charger and refrig circuit on.
So, are you ever going to sleep on your boat again while connected to shore power? If you have rectified the cause of the problem and still fear it's reoccurrence, how could you ever feel safe sleeping on your boat again?

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
So, are you ever going to sleep on your boat again while connected to shore power? If you have rectified the cause of the problem and still fear it's reoccurrence, how could you ever feel safe sleeping on your boat again?

Ted
I'd add to your question, did you have a professional marine electrician come examine your boat after the incident and make sure everything was in compliance? I know I'd sure have had to do that to sleep comfortably.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #29

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: Miss Puddy
Vessel Model: 44' Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'd add to your question, did you have a professional marine electrician come examine your boat after the incident and make sure everything was in compliance? I know I'd sure have had to do that to sleep comfortably.
Great question. After finding the shore power cord shot on one end, I disconnected from shore power completely on both ends. With everything turned off I started the genny. All showed fine on the panel with correct voltage to both AC circuits. I started adding loads one by one to the genny with the 2 a/c being last. All was normal and I let everything run on genny power for over 4hours. During this time I ran to WM and purchased a brand new 50ft/50amp power cord. I'm ditching the old one; not repairing.

We slept on board for the next 2 days with no issues. Of course I selpt on the couch next to the breaker panel during that time. I checked on those connections many times during those days...cool as can be. I feel confident the very old cord had bad terminals causing the failure.
ragin cajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Great question. After finding the shore power cord shot on one end, I disconnected from shore power completely on both ends. With everything turned off I started the genny. All showed fine on the panel with correct voltage to both AC circuits. I started adding loads one by one to the genny with the 2 a/c being last. All was normal and I let everything run on genny power for over 4hours. During this time I ran to WM and purchased a brand new 50ft/50amp power cord. I'm ditching the old one; not repairing.

We slept on board for the next 2 days with no issues. Of course I selpt on the couch next to the breaker panel during that time. I checked on those connections many times during those days...cool as can be. I feel confident the very old cord had bad terminals causing the failure.
I thought it was a good question and your answer was "No, I did not." I don't see electricity as an area to be left entirely to DIY. Not in a house. Not on a boat. Odds are great you won't have a recurrence of problems, but then you didn't expect the first problem. I'd engage a professional even if all I did was pay him a couple of hours to tell me everything is great and I did just what he would have done. I know it could seem like a waste of money, just my view. I respect if you choose to ignore my advice but feel compelled to say it.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I leave my AC's off and leave the dehum set at 55% relative humidity. One nice thing about the dehum is in daytime heat, that by itself reduces RH even though the water content in a mass basis remains the same. So dehum usually does nothing in mid day but cycle on and check RH. When it cools down in the evening temps drop and RH goes up, the thing wakes up and does it's thing. And with cooler temps it's refrigeration machinery is happier.

High mid day temps seems to not bother anything in the boat, except for the fridge but I usually empty it and turn it off if gone for more than few days.

Win win.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #32

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A few weeks ago the uniesse in the slip next ours had some sort of short in their power cord on the dock. They weren't there (we were t either) but another neighbor heard a pop and then saw smoke. He ran over there and flipped the breaker at the pole off and unplugged it. Their cord is hardwired to the boat.
It didn't do any damage to the boat. They had an electrician come and check everything out and install a new power cord.
That was the first I'd heard of a cord being hard wired to a boat. Apparently there's a barrel down below that the cord winds down into when unplugged from shore power.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Those are Glendinning Cablemasters. A wonderful item to have especially with 50 amp service.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:

Hope you haven't thrown that old cord away, the terminals are easy to replace.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #35

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: Miss Puddy
Vessel Model: 44' Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Thought about changing the terminals but I just don't want to have anything to do with that cord (over 20 years old). I have little faith in the integrity of it. New feels so much better
ragin cajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
When it cools down in the evening temps drop and RH goes up, the thing wakes up and does it's thing. And with cooler temps it's refrigeration machinery is happier.

High mid day temps seems to not bother anything in the boat, except for the fridge but I usually empty it and turn it off if gone for more than few days.

Win win.
That's the big difference between NC and South Florida or Texas in the summer. The high today in NC was higher than in South Florida. However, the low tonight will be 70 degrees in Charlotte, NC, and 82 degrees in Fort Lauderdale. Our next week in Ohio is highs in the 80's and lows in the 60's.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #37

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Defever - 68' steel custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Had similar problems with an old 50A Marinco cord. Stripped back the insulation looking to find un-corroded copper in order to install new connectors; no luck after removing over 3' on either end. Moisture either wicked up from the ends or the insulation became permeable over time or both. Not worth the risk and replaced the entire cord.
mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #38
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Moisture wicks up copper cable like mad. If you cut it back and it is black from corrosion, sh!tcan it. I got a 50' cord donated to me and conductors had gotten damp. Decided to make it into a 25'. That corrosion was EVERYWHERE. It must have wicked the entire length. Into the recycle...
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #39

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Ragin Cajun,
As the power cord receptacle (female) was bad at the boat (I assume from heat), what did the boat mounted plug look like? What did the back of the plug look like? (Where the boat wiring hooks to)
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Moisture wicks up copper cable like mad. If you cut it back and it is black from corrosion, sh!tcan it. I got a 50' cord donated to me and conductors had gotten damp. Decided to make it into a 25'. That corrosion was EVERYWHERE. It must have wicked the entire length. Into the recycle...
But it was worth taking the time to have a look, wasn't it?