South From Michigan in October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Let's say one found a 8-9 kt trawler on Lake Michigan and wanted to start it south to Florida this month. Is this trip doable this time of the year? I know that weather fronts would be a problem but am wondering about the other variables such as:

Transient docking available between Chicago and Pickwick on the Tenn Tom? I don't like to anchor unless it is the only option.

Fuel availability also might be an issue but the boat in question has a pretty good range.

I have made the trip from Mobile to Pickwick once in December. 17 degrees upon arrival.

I made the return trip exactly one year later and leaving Pickwick in 20 degree weather.

Both times I was very cozy in the pilot house of my 42' Nordic Tug.

My best guess is that the purchase process would take a couple of weeks on the Michigan boat setting a departure date close to the end of October.

My question is are there any deal breaker problems in doing the trip?

Where in Michigan is the first question. We cruised northbound in Lake Michigan from Chicago on year in April and found little open. But we were able to anchor. Likely you will be too late to use the Marinas in the southern end of Lake Michigan. Whether you will arrive in late October or early November will make all the difference in the world. Once you can determine that you need to make some calls.

Another issue is range, even on Lake Michigan the fuel docks will be closing so can you make it to an open fuel dock.

I have known people who have left Chicago in late October for Florida and they have made it. They were able to anchor and did not have limited range.

October is generally a great time to cruise on the Illinois, Mississippi and the Ten Tom. Once past Chicago you should have no Marina issues, but by late October your window will be closing. The days are shorter, so you are slowed down to probably 70 miles per day, so factor that in.

A few calls to the marinas and fuel stops along the way would answer your questions. Me, I'd not do it this time of the year in a "new" vessel. Too many mechanical unknowns.

What boat did you find in Michigan?

Active Captain will give you the dates most marinas close for the winter. I would still confirm by telephone, but AC will give you a good start on planning.

Where the boat is now, many marinas are shutting down for the winter. However, if you have fuel and can get headed toward Chicago quickly, you'll have no real issues. You must make it to Chicago by October 31, however, as that's when the city harbors all close up shop. I think you could probably find a marina still open but you're pressing your luck by that point. It then becomes not just Chicago, but also the Illinois River. I'd really try to target getting to Chicago by October 15, if possible. You're talking a 7 to 10 degree temperature drop from October 15 to October 31. Your trip from Holland to Chicago is only around 90 nm. However, this time of the year, conditions can be bad. One day 7-10', the next 2-3'.

Our plan is to leave Chicago on October 10. We anticipate having some cold days pop up on the way down, but mostly decent days to travel.

I also would carry as much fuel as I could find when leaving as in some of these areas, even those saying they're open, may not be. You will be running well behind the loop crowd.

One other issue, though nothing major. There is a lot of dredging taking place right now on the Illinois River so at three areas you need to give advance notice and travel at your slowest speed.

Active Captain will give you the dates most marinas close for the winter. I would still confirm by telephone, but AC will give you a good start on planning.

Very few marinas have that information shown on Active Captain. To be sure i wasn't overlooking it, I just checked AC in that area.

Our stops from Chicago down are planned to be:

Joliet, IL 54 nm
Ottawa, IL 40 nm
Peoria, IL 69 nm
Grafton, IL 141 nm
You might want to add a stop prior to Grafton. You might want to eliminate the Ottawa stop.

Imperial, MO (Hoppie's) 52 nm

From Imperial you have no marinas before Kentucky Dam Marina which is 200 nm. We're planning on doing an overnight run there and you may not have the crew to make that a good option or the equipment that makes you comfortable or the desire. There are some anchorages on the way down. We might even change our minds and anchor for a night, especially if there are many limbs, etc. on the river. The lock on the Ohio River can be a significant delay.

My biggest concern would be making sure of the mechanical condition of the boat prior to the trip. It's not an area where it's good to have major problems.

While the chicago Marinas slam their doors on Oct 31, if you are here past then, try Marina Services off of the Calumet River. They are privately owned and may still have space, though they may get stacked up as they are one of the larger winter storage facilities here.

While the chicago Marinas slam their doors on Oct 31, if you are here past then, try Marina Services off of the Calumet River. They are privately owned and may still have space, though they may get stacked up as they are one of the larger winter storage facilities here.

Crowley's and Skyway do a lot of winter storage, but the only fuel is at Sunset Bay. I don't know their schedule.

We just closed on our GB 41 EU yesterday in Holland and will be departing Chicago for St Simons Island on Oct 10. Hopefully we'll see you on the way.

Lot's of Grand Banks activity around Holland today. Just make sure you have it dependable and trustworthy before heading south.

Yep, all done. Boat and mechanicals are all serviced and other than provisioning, we are ready to go. This boat was in the middle of doing the loop when plans changed and it became available so it's well and properly set up for our trip home.

Darryl

Yep, all done. Boat and mechanicals are all serviced and other than provisioning, we are ready to go. This boat was in the middle of doing the loop when plans changed and it became available so it's well and properly set up for our trip home.

Darryl

Most likely you'll see weather in the 60's along the way, a couple of days warmer, and just be prepared for a day or two here and there to be colder. Still I think you'll have a very enjoyable trip. Probably some days you'll start very layered and bundled and during the course of the morning remove a layer at a time.

47' GB south of Holland is of interest.

I think we were looking at the same boat, Lady Ann? We bought it! Doing the service and little piddly things now including props and bearings... Hurricane Matthew has disrupted our departure plans of this coming Monday. If you are delayed at all we will probably be leaving the following week.

Keep an eye on the Erie Canal. If a left over hurricane or other big rain event happens, it could close early.

We just bought our 43 foot trawler in Detroit and did a non-stop run to Buffalo overnight. (Not the smartest thing to do with a "new" boat but bad weather was coming and I was going to lose my delivery crew due to closing delays.) It wasn't particularly windy but blowing straight down the lake. I would still have to rate it as one of the worst nights I've spent in a boat in 30,000 plus miles of cruising. That lake is a nasty place.

Keep an eye on the Erie Canal. If a left over hurricane or other big rain event happens, it could close early.

We just bought our 43 foot trawler in Detroit and did a non-stop run to Buffalo overnight. (Not the smartest thing to do with a "new" boat but bad weather was coming and I was going to lose my delivery crew due to closing delays.) It wasn't particularly windy but blowing straight down the lake. I would still have to rate it as one of the worst nights I've spent in a boat in 30,000 plus miles of cruising. That lake is a nasty place.

I think they're coming Chicago, Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, TN, TN Tom, Gulf route. Counter clockwise, normal loop routing.

Well, this trip is going to have to start without me. We still haven't been allowed back onto St Simons Island so I can't check on our house or business. I know one thing for sure; I am never leaving again. I would rather be scared out of my mind than deal with the crap we have been putting up with here since the storm passed. Government at its absolute worst.

Well, this trip is going to have to start without me. We still haven't been allowed back onto St Simons Island so I can't check on our house or business. I know one thing for sure; I am never leaving again. I would rather be scared out of my mind than deal with the crap we have been putting up with here since the storm passed. Government at its absolute worst.

Normally I don't comment in a negative fashion but I can't help myself. The government at it's worst? You mean the "government" which is responsible for protecting the lives of hundreds, if not, millions, of folks who live in endangered areas, all with the unpredictability of storm tracks? And you expect (apparently) concierge treatment? My goodness, you live on an island that was forecast to be likely a direct hit? You are safe. Be thankful for it. Next time, go ahead and ride out the storm and, if you are stranded for days and days with no help from that useless "government" of which you complain, please don't whine.

Really? Do you know what is happening here in Glynn County? Do you understand the insane political battle
of wills going on now between the county government and the state? No, I don't think you do.

I am not an anti-government guy. I support and appreciate what they do most of the time. But I do know what what is going on here and it is not a
good thing. But thanks so much for your opinions. It's what I really needed to read as we remain homeless for the 4th day. Charming.

we remain homeless for the 4th day.

Wifey B: I know you're frustrated and angry and I might be too but please don't toss the word "homeless" around like that. Homeless is all the people wondering the streets in Haiti with no where to return. Homeless isn't someone with a home they just can't access who I'm sure has been sleeping indoors the last three nights and has a boat waiting on Lake Michigan. Homeless doesn't have a home to return to or insurance to pay for repairs. I don't know the politics or the cause of the problem and your anger, but just don't over dramatize it by comparing yourself to those far less fortunate.

St. Simons Island Recovery & Re-entry Update – 7:30 p.m.

GLYNN COUNTY, Ga.- The cleanup crews on St. Simons Island continue to make progress clearing debris off of roadways. Georgia Power has continued to send crews onto the island to restore power to key infrastructure, residences, and businesses. They will continue to coordinate restoration with Glynn County to ensure an efficient recovery. Their top priority continues to be restoring power to the waste water system which currently has widespread power outages severely limiting the capacity of the sewer system. Because of this, we are not able to allow additional people on St. Simons Island. The limited sewer capacity has created a potential severe public health issue. As of 7:00 p.m., more than 80% of the sewer system infrastructure is non-operational. There is still a boil-water advisory in effect for St. Simons Island due to a loss of pressure in the system which may have allowed contaminants into water system.

https://glynncounty.org/773/19109/Severe-Weather-TS-Hurricane-Updates

Last edited:
I think we were looking at the same boat, Lady Ann? We bought it! Doing the service and little piddly things now including props and bearings... Hurricane Matthew has disrupted our departure plans of this coming Monday. If you are delayed at all we will probably be leaving the following week.

Nope, different boat and it got put in the barn before we could get up there to look at it. It won't be out of the barn until Spring so we passed.

Keep us posted on how the trip goes. Sounds like fun.

Yeah, you are right. I know other are suffering more. I get that.

Not homeless. Just not able to actually live in my own home. Listen, we have been dealing with an awful lot here. This has cost my business a fortune. We have no idea when we will be able to reopen. We still don't know when we will be allowed to go home. I spent 24 hours in a hotel with no power and no opening windows. We ran out of food. I was supposed to be doing the trip my dreams bringing my new boat home, but no, I can't do that either. Now we find that our slip was destroyed in the storm and since there have been two tropical storms and a hurricane in just 3 weeks, so much of the marina is damaged there is no other place for us to use. So, now we own a boat with no place nearby to keep it. But, by all means, please continue to lecture me because that's really what I need right now.

Come on guys, calm down and be gracious and kind to one another.

I love this forum and hate to read unkind things said to other members.

Having lived through Hurricane Andrew & Hurricane Georges when it struck Marathon in the Florida Keys, I know what it's like to be without electricity, water, a/c, ice, food, and the essentials of life.

Mr. Mcboatface I feel your pain 100%!!! And I would encourage others here on the forum to understand what a devastating and gut wrenching time this is for the victims of these storms. My wife and I were victims twice. Our house damaged, our business damaged, loss of income, etc.

So why don't we pray for the victims of these storms and for each other and encourage one another instead of using hurtful words and understand what these people have just gone through and their frustration.

Just saying!

Back
Top Bottom