Old 10-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Keep an eye on the Erie Canal. If a left over hurricane or other big rain event happens, it could close early.

We just bought our 43 foot trawler in Detroit and did a non-stop run to Buffalo overnight. (Not the smartest thing to do with a "new" boat but bad weather was coming and I was going to lose my delivery crew due to closing delays.) It wasn't particularly windy but blowing straight down the lake. I would still have to rate it as one of the worst nights I've spent in a boat in 30,000 plus miles of cruising. That lake is a nasty place.
I think they're coming Chicago, Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, TN, TN Tom, Gulf route. Counter clockwise, normal loop routing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #22

City: Georgia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 41EU
Well, this trip is going to have to start without me. We still haven't been allowed back onto St Simons Island so I can't check on our house or business. I know one thing for sure; I am never leaving again. I would rather be scared out of my mind than deal with the crap we have been putting up with here since the storm passed. Government at its absolute worst.
mcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #23
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcboatface View Post
Well, this trip is going to have to start without me. We still haven't been allowed back onto St Simons Island so I can't check on our house or business. I know one thing for sure; I am never leaving again. I would rather be scared out of my mind than deal with the crap we have been putting up with here since the storm passed. Government at its absolute worst.
Normally I don't comment in a negative fashion but I can't help myself. The government at it's worst? You mean the "government" which is responsible for protecting the lives of hundreds, if not, millions, of folks who live in endangered areas, all with the unpredictability of storm tracks? And you expect (apparently) concierge treatment? My goodness, you live on an island that was forecast to be likely a direct hit? You are safe. Be thankful for it. Next time, go ahead and ride out the storm and, if you are stranded for days and days with no help from that useless "government" of which you complain, please don't whine.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #24

Really? Do you know what is happening here in Glynn County? Do you understand the insane political battle
of wills going on now between the county government and the state? No, I don't think you do.

I am not an anti-government guy. I support and appreciate what they do most of the time. But I do know what what is going on here and it is not a
good thing. But thanks so much for your opinions. It's what I really needed to read as we remain homeless for the 4th day. Charming.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
we remain homeless for the 4th day.
Wifey B: I know you're frustrated and angry and I might be too but please don't toss the word "homeless" around like that. Homeless is all the people wondering the streets in Haiti with no where to return. Homeless isn't someone with a home they just can't access who I'm sure has been sleeping indoors the last three nights and has a boat waiting on Lake Michigan. Homeless doesn't have a home to return to or insurance to pay for repairs. I don't know the politics or the cause of the problem and your anger, but just don't over dramatize it by comparing yourself to those far less fortunate.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #26
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Thank you, Wifey B

Respect.
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
St. Simons Island Recovery & Re-entry Update – 7:30 p.m.

GLYNN COUNTY, Ga.- The cleanup crews on St. Simons Island continue to make progress clearing debris off of roadways. Georgia Power has continued to send crews onto the island to restore power to key infrastructure, residences, and businesses. They will continue to coordinate restoration with Glynn County to ensure an efficient recovery. Their top priority continues to be restoring power to the waste water system which currently has widespread power outages severely limiting the capacity of the sewer system. Because of this, we are not able to allow additional people on St. Simons Island. The limited sewer capacity has created a potential severe public health issue. As of 7:00 p.m., more than 80% of the sewer system infrastructure is non-operational. There is still a boil-water advisory in effect for St. Simons Island due to a loss of pressure in the system which may have allowed contaminants into water system.

https://glynncounty.org/773/19109/Se...ricane-Updates
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #28
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaII View Post
I think we were looking at the same boat, Lady Ann? We bought it! Doing the service and little piddly things now including props and bearings... Hurricane Matthew has disrupted our departure plans of this coming Monday. If you are delayed at all we will probably be leaving the following week.
Nope, different boat and it got put in the barn before we could get up there to look at it. It won't be out of the barn until Spring so we passed.

Keep us posted on how the trip goes. Sounds like fun.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #29

Yeah, you are right. I know other are suffering more. I get that.

Not homeless. Just not able to actually live in my own home. Listen, we have been dealing with an awful lot here. This has cost my business a fortune. We have no idea when we will be able to reopen. We still don't know when we will be allowed to go home. I spent 24 hours in a hotel with no power and no opening windows. We ran out of food. I was supposed to be doing the trip my dreams bringing my new boat home, but no, I can't do that either. Now we find that our slip was destroyed in the storm and since there have been two tropical storms and a hurricane in just 3 weeks, so much of the marina is damaged there is no other place for us to use. So, now we own a boat with no place nearby to keep it. But, by all means, please continue to lecture me because that's really what I need right now.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Living Waters
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Classic
Come on guys, calm down and be gracious and kind to one another.

I love this forum and hate to read unkind things said to other members.

Having lived through Hurricane Andrew & Hurricane Georges when it struck Marathon in the Florida Keys, I know what it's like to be without electricity, water, a/c, ice, food, and the essentials of life.

Mr. Mcboatface I feel your pain 100%!!! And I would encourage others here on the forum to understand what a devastating and gut wrenching time this is for the victims of these storms. My wife and I were victims twice. Our house damaged, our business damaged, loss of income, etc.

So why don't we pray for the victims of these storms and for each other and encourage one another instead of using hurtful words and understand what these people have just gone through and their frustration.

Just saying!
Fishing Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. I know other are suffering more. I get that.

Not homeless. Just not able to actually live in my own home. Listen, we have been dealing with an awful lot here. This has cost my business a fortune. We have no idea when we will be able to reopen. We still don't know when we will be allowed to go home. I spent 24 hours in a hotel with no power and no opening windows. We ran out of food. I was supposed to be doing the trip my dreams bringing my new boat home, but no, I can't do that either. Now we find that our slip was destroyed in the storm and since there have been two tropical storms and a hurricane in just 3 weeks, so much of the marina is damaged there is no other place for us to use. So, now we own a boat with no place nearby to keep it. But, by all means, please continue to lecture me because that's really what I need right now.
Wifey B: I feel for you. I know it feels awful. Just the word "homeless" was an unfortunate choice. I don't know how serious the personal loss is to you, doubt you know the full extent yet. Don't know if you had business interruption insurance. You're suffering now, but just not to the same extent as some. I'm sure your community will pull together once it all settles down. I hope you can escape to your boat, but know that may be impossible. I do understand how serious your loss is. Still I hope you are appreciative that you don't have to live in circumstances like Haiti and many homeless in this country. I'll tell you this too that it feels so horrible right now, but keep in perspective how little time has passed. It will take more time to feel like you have your life back and, sadly, there may be aspects you can't restore. I think of Sandy and it's damage and some houses and marinas are better than the ones they replaced while others were just left to continue to destruct. We know we were fortunate, but we honestly take no joy in that as we see how many have suffered greatly. For some in SC and NC it's even two years in a row.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #32
Guru

Mcboatface

Things improved any at all for you? Trip from Holland still on hold or cancelled?

Seasalt

Did purchase happen?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #33

Purchase did happen. The guys started the trip without me as I dealt with the aftermath of Matthew. I caught up, finally, Friday at Green Turtle Bay. We will get to Demopolis tonight, so making progress. From the lovely Ten-Tom....

Darryl
Old 10-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Purchase did happen. The guys started the trip without me as I dealt with the aftermath of Matthew. I caught up, finally, Friday at Green Turtle Bay. We will get to Demopolis tonight, so making progress. From the lovely Ten-Tom....

Darryl
Then you passed us along the way. Probably while we were in St. Louis. You're moving fast. Demopolis is probably 3 years away for us. Seriously, we do intend to stay on the rivers awhile. Glad you were able to get the boat down. Hope the cleanup in St. Simons is going well.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #35
Guru

Wifey B: Place your bets here. Over/Under on time it takes for locks 53 and 52 on the Ohio River. Over or under 13 hours? We've heard as low as 6 hours and as long as 20 hours.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #36
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Place your bets here. Over/Under on time it takes for locks 53 and 52 on the Ohio River. Over or under 13 hours? We've heard as low as 6 hours and as long as 20 hours.
Naw.. I've heard some people are getting through in 2-3 hours.
Just hope for low barge traffic.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Naw.. I've heard some people are getting through in 2-3 hours.
Just hope for low barge traffic.
Barge traffic is fairly slow. We think we'll probably go through 53 between 9:00 and midnight. We arrived at 5:00. There are 5 Tows with 72 barges waiting at 52. One has been there since 1:45. However, 52 tries to work recreational in. The last recreational boat to go through there was less than an hour from arrival to exiting. Nothing else to spend your night doing here other than locking. Well, sleep, but who wants to sleep. We did all take naps today.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #38
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Barge traffic is fairly slow. We think we'll probably go through 53 between 9:00 and midnight. We arrived at 5:00. There are 5 Tows with 72 barges waiting at 52. One has been there since 1:45. However, 52 tries to work recreational in. The last recreational boat to go through there was less than an hour from arrival to exiting. Nothing else to spend your night doing here other than locking. Well, sleep, but who wants to sleep. We did all take naps today.
That's the reports I've heard as well, that they're working recreational boats in-between the barges. Hopefully they'll push you right through.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #39

Done. Boat is at its new home in St Simons. 2,350 miles. 29 locks. 19 days. 2 really tired guys. 1 awesome time.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Done. Boat is at its new home in St Simons. 2,350 miles. 29 locks. 19 days. 2 really tired guys. 1 awesome time.
You sure passed us by. Glad you made it to your destination. Good speed to make 124 miles and 1.5 locks a day.