Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
South Carolina boat movers, who do you know?

Looking to get a quote to move a boat from Spartanburg, SC to Lake Moultrie, SC or possibly Beaufort, SC. This boat will be extra large. The location is about 2.5 miles off I-26. It will be tricky getting the boat out but once out, clear run to the interstate. Specs below.

62.5' overall, swim platform to bow pulpit, both can be removed to get back to hull length if needed

54.5' hull length
14.5' to 15' wide
14' lowest point to highest point, all gear above cabin removed

15,000lbs dry unloaded complete boat

The boat can be on jacks as high as needed for loading. Also, crane loading can be arranged. I've researched the oversize laws in SC. This boat will require two pilot vehicles and special permits with special hours to travel. I am willing to drive a pilot vehicle to save on cost. I don't know if I can legally operate a day cab tractor and pull a lowboy trailer with my current endorsements. I'll look into that. Seeing as the boat would be part mine, I wouldn't be driving for hire.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Talk to Paul at Triton Yachts in Oriental, NC. I have used him twice and he is a real pro.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Talk to Paul at Triton Yachts in Oriental, NC. I have used him twice and he is a real pro.

David
Thanks.

Do you know if he charges point to point or total round trip? It would take a bit of fuel to get from Oriental to my area, about 8 hours if I remember right. Probably worth the extra in fuel cost to be sure the boat gets moved safely.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Triton is an independent boat trucker. If you can be flexible and he can arrange a shipment to your area to avoid going your way empty he will figure that in your quote. He routinely trucks boats to SC but maybe not to your location.

For example, eight years ago I bought a boat in Connecticut and had him move it to Oriental. It cost x and he had no other haul so x included his cost to run the truck up to Connecticut empty. Four years later we moved to Connecticut and I told him if he could beat the original cost by y by arranging another haul he could do the move, otherwise I would move the boat myself under its own bottom.

During a 6 week period that I could wait, he once told me he had a back haul but that fell through. Then at week 5 he said he had a back haul and could do the move for a little more than x-y so we did it.

Now I have a relationship with Triton so the communications was easy and we had mutual trust that if he arranged a back haul he would get my business.

So you need to call and explore what you need with Paul. He is a very nice guy. FWIW either he or a long term associate drives the truck himself. He does not broker deals to others.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
I totally agree with David.

I used Paul this past June to move my boat from Brunswick, GA to New Bern, NC. He worked with me, was very easy going, and treated me more than well. And the price was equal to what I would have paid a capt to bring my boat here (without the added fuel, worry, breakdowns, use of the vessel)

I was very pleased and would gladly use him again.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #6

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
We also used Paul/Triton to move our 40’, 14 ton steel ketch in Alabama. It was on jack stands in our yard with little room for using a crane. Triton’s hydraulic rig makes it easy - drive under with a wishbone shaped trailer, hydraulically lift, add supports and drive out. Professional and secure.
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Looking to get a quote to move a boat from Spartanburg, SC to Lake Moultrie, SC or possibly Beaufort, SC. This boat will be extra large. The location is about 2.5 miles off I-26. It will be tricky getting the boat out but once out, clear run to the interstate. Specs below.

62.5' overall, swim platform to bow pulpit, both can be removed to get back to hull length if needed

54.5' hull length
14.5' to 15' wide
14' lowest point to highest point, all gear above cabin removed

15,000lbs dry unloaded complete boat

Wifey B: You've gotten an excellent recommendation on who to contact, but am I the only one curious as to what a boat this size is doing in Spartanburg. An inquiring mind just has to know.

P.S. Plus quite light for a boat that long.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Guru

Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You've gotten an excellent recommendation on who to contact, but am I the only one curious as to what a boat this size is doing in Spartanburg. An inquiring mind just has to know.

P.S. Plus quite light for a boat that long.

The boat will be, I hope, under contract for me to build. I live in Spartanburg County.

The weight comes down to design, materials, and the boat will have a single engine. The 15,000lbs is the completed hull with running gear, generator, electrical, tanks, plumbing, a fairly basic interior. There will be no gear on deck or above the cabin. No stores, no spares, no batteries, ect.. That will get installed once the boat is moved and docked. Trying to keep her light for the move.

The person that I will contract with, as well as myself, grew up in a poor area. We lived a minimalist lifestyle. We still do, me a little more than he. So no need to load the boat up with a lot of doodads and gadgets. Simple layout and arrangement is all we need. However, the finished weight in the water ready to go will probably be close to 30,000lbs. The 15,000lbs is a conservative estimation after adding up build material weights, running gear, tanks, a few other things. It could go up to 20,000lb. I doubt it will go over.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Thanks guys for the recommendation.

The boat will be, I hope, under contract for me to build. I live in Spartanburg County.

The weight comes down to design, materials, and the boat will have a single engine. The 15,000lbs is the completed hull with running gear, generator, electrical, tanks, plumbing, a fairly basic interior. There will be no gear on deck or above the cabin. No stores, no spares, no batteries, ect.. That will get installed once the boat is moved and docked. Trying to keep her light for the move.

The person that I will contract with, as well as myself, grew up in a poor area. We lived a minimalist lifestyle. We still do, me a little more than he. So no need to load the boat up with a lot of doodads and gadgets. Simple layout and arrangement is all we need. However, the finished weight in the water ready to go will probably be close to 30,000lbs. The 15,000lbs is a conservative estimation after adding up build material weights, running gear, tanks, a few other things. It could go up to 20,000lb. I doubt it will go over.
Wifey B: Thanks. I was just curious and had to ask.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Thanks. I was just curious and had to ask.
You're welcome.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
65 feet. Hope the road isn't twisty.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
65 feet. Hope the road isn't twisty.
Only when leaving the shop for about 1/8th mile. Two kind of tight turns. They move mobile homes around through here often with no issues. Then it's a straight run to I-26.