Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2015, 05:38 AM   #21
The sail related forums tend to be populated with more adventurous souls, the bulk of power boaters have feet of clay.

Its not the skippers its the boat!

Sailboats have a far easier time being constructed to ocean scantlings than power boats.

The South Atlantic is not the place for a stock motor boat cookie , there are too many special requirements , a custom high latitude build may be a better choice.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #22
City: Med
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I think the Smeetons were an amazing couple and wrote some amazing books. They did attempt the cape west to east (the wrong way) twice with failure and on their third attempt made it setting a world record at the time for speed. Cape horn is the Everest of the sea and definitely a mountain I have no intention of rounding.
west to east is downwind, east to west would be against wind and current

woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #23
City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
For a small motor vessel, (up to 55'), only the inside passage is recommendable.
Even so, weather forecasts are always far from being accurate.
The months between December and March are the best ones to make this inside passage.
Thank capacity is a must.
I don't know any positive feedback from those who tried to go from East to West. Specially in the inside passage. East coast of southern Argentina is not a gentle territory and there ain't many places where you can hide.

I have done this passage twice. In a 65' sailboat from Punta Arenas to Comodoro Rivadavia, as part of a crew that went to pick up a racing boat bought in Hawai. I was 20 y.o. and I remember having regret the money. The name of the boat was SAGA.
The second time was 14 years ago in a cruise ship with my wife. Trip not repeatable, because you cannot eat soup from your shoes

Now retired and cruising in calm waters
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote