Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Correction: My statement earlier, " my wife and I made an appointment with the local GB owner..." should obviously have read "my wife and I made an appointment with the local GB dealer...."

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Tom, are they all that way?

Nope not all! But there really was one guy, back before we bought Skinny Dippin' who truly told us that until we figured out what we wanted, he wasn't able to help us. What a douchebag.

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
If you have not seen this short animated video of the travails of a yacht broker I highly recommend you relieve yourself before watching it.

I Want To Sell My Yacht
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #44
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you have not seen this short animated video of the travails of a yacht broker I highly recommend you relieve yourself before watching it.

I Want To Sell My Yacht
That is funny!
We had the same trouble having brokers help us, especial the young aggressive males, so we tend to seek out females and/or old males. Being a live aboard for 15+ years we have know many brokers most I would not recommend. Also most brokers are not that familar with boats, espcially specific boats they are showing.

Boat broker is not like a dirt broker as they do NOT show all the boats on the market, mostly just their own lising. So you may/will have to talk to several brokers even in the same area/marina. therir hours are banker hous, 10:00 to 5:00 with a two hour lunch.

At the time we owned a 19 ft run about and cruised the marinas as many boats are for sale but no long listed or broker where not willing to show.

If you can not talk the talk and walk the walk they will know in a couple of minutes anyway. So may as will be straight with them. While looking at boats, also look at marinas and be sure walk the yards so you know what boat look like below the water line. Make it a mini vacation/get away.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #45
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

I Want To Sell My Yacht
Good one.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Again, thank you for your responces and ideas. When my beautiful wife got home this evening after her 12 hour day teaching 7 th grade science, we both had some wine and i read your posts to her. She (and i ) got a little weepy. She looked at me and said she cant wait. Neither can I.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #47
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Brokers are like pumbers, doctors and cops. 80% of them are just average guys trying to make a living, 10% are excellent and will go the extra mile and 10% of them are dangerous and should be taken out behind the barn.
I suggest investing some time in finding a good broker, they are out there.

For your consideration To Use a Broker or Not
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
She looked at me and said she cant wait. Neither can I.
Of course one doesn't want to get themselves into a financial situation that ends up forcing one to live in a cardboard box under a freeway. So a boat acquisition should be approached with the same intelligence and care you would use in buying a house.

But..... while I've not seen it expressed on this forum yet, back when I used to participate in the Trawlers and Trawlering mailing list (T&T) I recall reading on fairly frequent occasions about couples who had planned for years to take up cruising upon retirement and who had saved and finally bought the boat of their dreams only to have a health problem (or simply age) swoop in and put an end to the dream.

Obviously health is a crap shoot and is not something that can be counted on one way or the other. But my wife and I have always believed that it's better to do something we want to to do as soon as we can swing it rather than wait until it's "safe." Because for most of us, that "safe" time never arrives.

So the two of us believe that things one really wants to do and are important to that person to do should be done as soon as it's at all possible. We have followed that philosophy for everything from flying floatplanes up and down the Inside Passage to Alaska, to running canal boats in England, to acquiring the cruising boat we have today.

No, you don't want to be stupid about it and put too much at risk just for the sake of doing what you want to do. But it's very easy to talk one's self out of doing something big like buying a cruising boat until a better time. And then that better time never seems to quite arrive until one day you find that you can't do what you want to do no matter how much you want to it, and the opportunity has passed you by for good.

You only go around once, as they say, so why not try to do and see as much as one possibly can during that revolution. Most of us will never be able to do everything we would like to do, but I also think that most of us will not do as much as we could have done had we tried a bit harder to make it work.

So don't be dumb and put yourselves in jeopardy, but don't be shy and let an opportunity to do something really cool slip by you, either.

Speaking only for me and my wife, the value of owning our boat and using it cannot be measured in dollars and cents, nor can it be justified in dollars and cents. It can only be measured and justified by how it has enriched our lives and our relationship. And that is something that outweighs any argument, pro or con, based purely on dollars.

The years I've been around so far have taught me to place a lot of credibility in what my gut tells me. Pro and con lists are great and a good thing to draw up, I think. But in the end, I do what just feels right even if it's not what the objective lists tell me should be right.

Selecting a boat is the same thing. Look at lots of them if you think that's a good approach. Charter one or some if you think that will help you determine if you even like the cruising thing (that's what we did). But when you come across the right boat, I think you'll instinctively know it. Don't stop using your head, but in the end I think it will be your gut that will help you make the right decision.

When Alan Mulally was head of the 777 program at Boeing and later became president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, I worked with him on a fairly regular basis. He always had a little sign on his desk that said, "Remember, this is supposed to be fun." I think it applies to boating every bit as much as it does to building airplanes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-630906747.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	17345
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yes! Do it when you can!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #50
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Lookyloo

Thinking about being a lookyloo on Friday. Projects are done on Moonstruck, and Lou and I are about over our colds. Time for a free day. So, maybe down to the Palm Beach Boat Show to see the 47' Nordhavn. Hope Marin's broker is not there. I don't want to be a 3 boat owner.

I got a really personal invitation from the folks at Nordhavn. All I have to do is go down and stand in line. Ain't that special.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
So, maybe down to the Palm Beach Boat Show to see the 47' Nordhavn.
Should be fun but the decrease in speed is really going to turn you off. (IMO, of course) You already have a great cruising boat. (Not a trawler )

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #52
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Should be fun but the decrease in speed is really going to turn you off. (IMO, of course) You already have a great cruising boat. (Not a trawler )
What! Not a trawler? Damn broker lied again.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #53
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Walt. Careful now. No one has told Moonstruck he doesn't own a trawler. The intervention team is still meeting to try and figure out how to break it to him. Don't worry Don- Walt didn't mean what he said. However....you WOULD look pretty darn cool in a 47 Nord! I will help you tie up to the dock @ Chickamauga.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Just put a set of outriggers, a trawl net, a hydraulic net drum, and a pair of otter doors on the back of your boat and you will be more of a trawler than any other boat on this forum.

And if you do fish with it, your speed will ensure you get back to the processor before any of the other trawlers so you'll make more money than them.

It'll be a win-win.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #55
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Not sure what they're talkin about Don? She looks like a trawler to me
Attached Images

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, just looking