Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #261
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Ok, I can't help myself and I've got to say this. "Irregardless" is incorrect but it pales in comparison to the number of times people spell "a lot" as "allot." Don't know why but that drives me nuts. It's simple, "a lot," now go to the board and write it 100 times. You know who you are.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #262
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Some early Nordic Tug 26 without the aft cabin (dare I call it a saloon?), were outfitted as commercial gillnetters and trollers. One 26 with a cabin was sold as a water taxi. A 32 was outfitted as a pizzeria. Nordic Tugs even built a barge for one owner, so at least one hull was actually a tug.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #263
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I just looked up "recreational trawler" via Google. There were 271,000 results. Here's one definition:

Recreational trawlers are pleasure boats which resemble fishing trawlers. They can also be called cruising trawlers or trawler yachts. Within the category, however, are many types and styles of vessels.
A fishing trawler for example, always has a displacement hull for load-carrying capacity. Recreational trawlers, on the other hand, are as likely to have a semi-displacement hull. However, with the rising cost of fuel and the lower fuel consumption (though also lower speed) offered by displacement hulls, they are gaining popularity among some buyers. These displacement models typically have a cruising speed of 7–9 knots depending on the boat length. Their maximum speed is often no more than 10–12 knots, whereas semi-displacement hulls can attain 14–20 knots. Recreational trawlers need only a small engine; 80 hp can be adequate in a 42-foot boat, which will use less than 25 hp to cruise
Old 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #264
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I own a trawler...based on general consensus of 50 years on the water and what I know.

Anyone but a handful want to challenge my credentials for calling it one?

We will let the members decide where "stupid" is most applicable.

I would have left this thread alone if it was just a debate without inferring some of us are ignorant, stupid, etc..etc.

so I am back in full force....
I wanted to say stupid is as stupid calls, except I won't call him stupid. I have other words that would fit better but won't use them either. All I really wish is he'd confine his rant on the subject that the vast majority of us don't agree with to his own thread that he started on the subject, rather than trashing threads of others on different topics. He'd stopped getting attention on his thread so brought the topic here. He very conveniently overlooked Webster's statement of how they determine definitions. I'm sure he disagrees with every dictionary. Just to punish him I'm going to suggest he visit these sites too...

Top 15 Trawler Yachts, Best Trawlers | Yachting Magazine

Five Affordable Trawlers Under 40 Feet | boats.com

Trawler Buyers Guide | Discover Boating

Oh and I love this one on pocket trawlers...obviously they won't fit in our pockets. lol

Pocket Trawlers: Five for Value and Versatility « www.yachtworld.com www.yachtworld.com

In fact I'd suggest he write all those sites objecting to their use of the word.

Oh, and while Nordhavn may not call their boats trawlers directly, they do have articles on their site referring to them as trawlers and apparently they didn't find it offensive.

Top Five Trawler Buying Mistakes
Old 07-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #265

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
I'm glad we're not discussing tramp steamers...;-)
Old 07-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #266
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Pocket trawler seems a bit borderline as well...
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #267
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44 View Post
I'm glad we're not discussing tramp steamers...;-)
Wifey B: I've known a few of those...

They were available on the spot market too.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #268
Scraping Paint

City: -
It's interesting and perhaps telling that this obsession with clinging to a the use of a word incorrectly is not reflected in the sailboat community. I have yet to meet a sailboater who tries to pass his or her boat off as a "lumber schooner," or a "tea clipper" or any other sort of working sailboat. The ones I've talked to simply call them what they are: sloop, ketch, yawl, schooner, etc.

What has been extremely intriguing to me is how vehemently and passionately you lot have been defending what began as a simple marketing ploy to make a particular product seem like something it isn't. Of course there are thousands of references to "trawler yacht," or "recreational trawler" that come up on Google; it's a great demonstration and confirmation of the power of marketing.

I've been using excerpts from this thread over the last few days to demonstrate how changing people's perceptions can be an extremely powerful tool that can be used to change people's fundamental beliefs, even when those beliefs are based on something that isn't actually true or accurate. This is nothing new to ad agencies and company marketing departments, of course, but it's a concept that is relatively new in some of the environments in which I work.

My point to these people is not the virtue of using an inaccuracy to change people's perceptions, but how powerful a tool changing people's perceptions really is, particularly today when anything, true or not, can spread to become reality in people's minds virtually within hours.

I don't recall starting a thread specifically on the term "trawler" but maybe I did. I know I started on one the term "flying bridge." Perhaps that one morphed into a discussion of the word "trawler." In any event, BandB as usual misses the point of my participation in this discussion. I'm not out to change the world or the name of this forum. John had good reasons for choosing the name that he did and I certainly don't fault him for them. Good marketing was as much in his interest as it was for the power cruiser manufacturers back in the early 70s.

I've explained why I hold the position I hold, and it's been telling (to me) to see who has agreed and who has not. The responses from the various participants have been pretty much in line with what I expected them to be.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #269
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin what it began as is not relevant now.

So get in your trawler and go trawlering.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #270
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would have left this thread alone if it was just a debate without inferring some of us are ignorant, stupid, etc..etc.
I had the same reaction. When someone infers or directly calls me an idiot or stupid, I respond in kind. That's the environment I was raised in.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #271
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I've explained why I hold the position I hold, and it's been telling (to me) to see who has agreed and who has not. The responses from the various participants have been pretty much in line with what I expected them to be.
For crying out loud!!!!!!!! Can you just drop it!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #272
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin what it began as is not relevant now.
You're right.

Quote:
So get in your trawler and go trawlering.
I would if I had a trawler, Eric. I want to replace the main outboard on our fishing boat and I could use the extra money. But it's my understanding that trawling is not a good way to fish up here so even if I had one it probably wouldn't do me much good.

A few times over the years when I've been working on our boat someone or a couple has wandered up the dock and stopped to ask me about our boat. They've said they were looking for a "trawler" like ours to buy.

I've told them that I was pretty sure there were no trawlers here but if they talked to the people working on their limit seiners over in the commercial basin they might get some information as to who to contact with regards to acquiring a trawler. I've also suggested that they might want to contact commercial vessel brokers in Louisiana or South Carolina because I know for a fact there are a ton of trawlers there.

They've always looked a little confused but much to my amazement they've dutifully walked off toward the commercial basin. I've no idea if any of them eventually got a trawler or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Donna-001.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #273
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Did you really do that Marin?

That's funny ...... I think.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #274
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Did you really do that Marin?

That's funny ...... I think.
Absolutely. If someone wants to buy a trawler I will do my level best to steer them in the right direction.

Now if they were interested in buying a Grand Banks or similar type of boat, I'd have sent them to the GB dealer at the head of the dock. Their lead broker is a friend of ours-- he found our boat for us--- and he's an outstanding, honest, and very knowledgeable guy.

But these folks have been very specific about wanting to buy a trawler, so I pointed them in the direction of the fellows who I assume know about these kinds of boats or at least know where to find out more about them. Trawlers are part of their world, not mine, right?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #275
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Marin, I don't believe post #274. If you believed they wanted a real trawler, you would have asked them if their goal was to drag a net from the boat to catch fish. If the answer was no, you would have otherwise directed.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #276
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436583357.337719.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	41952

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #277
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Marin, I don't believe post #274. If you believed they wanted a real trawler, you would have asked them if their goal was to drag a net from the boat to catch fish. If the answer was no, you would have otherwise directed.
Mark-- Of course I know what they're asking about. But if they don't know the right thing to ask for when they talk to me, I bet they do after they talk to the limit seiner guys, if they even actually do which I doubt. Nobody's that dumb, right? So they probably just wander off thinking I'm some kind of an as$hole and that's fine. I'm not going to promote something I just spent however many gazillion posts saying is wrong.

Plus it gets rid of them immediately which is actually my primary objective.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #278
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
That's explains a lot! Not a people person on the Internet or real life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436584757.202662.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	41953
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #279
Scraping Paint

I'm a people person with people I deem worth being a people person with. There are even a couple on this forum.

If you want to continue this aspect of the thread you might want to switch over to Off Topic or OTDE.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #280
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I'm a people person with people I deem worth being a people person with. There are even a couple on this forum.
So, if any of this is true, you quickly conclude that people you've never seen before and who are looking for directions are unworthy of your attention if they can't be precise (by your definition of terms) . . . and you purposefully misdirect them, knowing what they're really looking for is a boat "like ours." Because, by God, you're right and the only one seeing things as they really are.

I've known people with rigidity of thinking like that before. Some of them get their kicks belittling others to reinforce their own self-worth. Sometimes they have diagnoses like "obsessive compulsive personality disorder with narcissistic tendencies."
Closed Thread