Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #121
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Where I come from this is a cabin cruiser.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436328400.299213.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	41833

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #122
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
We have a conflation of marine terms - with which many of us have long familiarity - with marketing concepts. I don't see the point in trying to reconcile the two worlds.

I am interested, though, in trends in recreational boats and boating, partly because I have one (and will likely have others) and partly because I'm interested in how these changes will affect boating for the next generation(s).

In my part of the world there aren't likely to be many significant new cruising destinations. Even with climate change, we probably won't experience substantial weather changes. The price of fuel will fluctuate, the cost of boats will probably increase, and the licensing and government intrusion are certain to become more burdensome. The cost of moorage seems destined to rise significantly.

It will be interesting to see if any major new trends emerge. Power cats are not for me, but the hull for a friend's new Aspen was popped out this week - a year after placing his order, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of these and fewer GBs, KKs, and small Norhavns in the years to come. Unless, of course, I'm wrong. 😃

Old 07-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #123
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Like others I could care less what people call my boat.

Where I have a challenge, and where I will forever prove them wrong every time is when people try to directly or indirectly say that its not suitable, within its fuel range, of open ocean travel.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 07-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #124
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Cabin Cruiser / Sport Fisher / "Trawler" ... all Pleasure Boats. Most part time recreational, some full time live aboard. All pleasurable... if the correct attitude is applied!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #125
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It's amazing to me how many apparently otherwise intelligent boaters get suckered in by this marketing BS. I guess it just goes to prove that you can always fool some of the people all of the time.
It's amazing to me how one apparently otherwise intelligent boater gets suckered in by this obsession with the use of one word BS. I guess it just goes to prove that you can always fool some of the people all of the time.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #126
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Like others I could care less what people call my boat.
Nor mine. However, and perhaps because of what I do, it does piss me off to see language used improperly, particularly for a totally bogus reason.

Quote:
Where I have a challenge, and where I will forever prove them wrong every time is when people try to directly or indirectly say that [my boat is] not suitable, within its fuel range, of open ocean travel.
Well, I think you've effectively proven them wrong on more than one occasion.

There is a somewhat famous incident that occasionally comes up on the GB owners forum about a fellow who took a GB42 from Hawaii to the west coast. He removed one propeller and carried it on board. He did the first half of the voyage on the engine that had a propeller connected to it, then halfway across stopped, dove on the boat, installed the propeller he'd removed and removed the propeller he'd been running on and continued on the other engine and prop.

I have no idea how he dealt with having sufficient fuel for the trip but he did. Removing the prop eliminated the drag from the unpowered prop, be it freewheeling or locked, and so reduced his fuel consumption accordingly. Changing engines halfway across put equal time on both of them for the trip.

So 2500 miles or thereabouts in a GB42 on the open Pacific. Obviously the weather cooperated and so far as I've read he conducted the trip without incident.

Now a GB is a crappy open ocean boat because it's not designed to take with what the ocean CAN deal out. In the case of this trip, the Pacific lived up to its name.

Does that mean GB owners should all rush out to begin tran-oceanic voyages? Not if they're smart. But it goes to show that the GB, or at least the GB42, can deal with open ocean conditions as long as they don't exceed a certain, shall we say, intensity.

Does this one incident demonstrate that the GB42 is an ideal ocean cruiser? Of course not. Just as the promo voyage of a Great Harbor 37 from the factory through the Panama Canal and over to Hawaii doesn't make that boat an ideal ocean cruiser either.

But contrary to a fair number of opinions, it does demonstrate that these boats don't simply fall apart at the sight of an empty horizon all around them.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 AM   #127
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Wayfarer has a planing hull and two gas engines. One of them was out of service, but since it was going to take a while to get the parts in, I had them leave her in the water as long as possible. For two weeks I ran around on one engine, relegated to hull speed. Maybe a tad over. Eight miles per hour at the most.

While most of the boats I admire and dream about are big fat slow ones (like me,) with pilothouses and salty lines, I must admit, it has been a bit frustrating knowing that my boat should be cruising at 24 knots and wasn't. I didn't have anywhere to be, or any weather to outrun. I just... wanted to go faster.

I guess since I don't have the luxury of unlimited time to cruise, speed is an asset to me. If I was retired, or otherwise has several months off at a time, slow could be very enjoyable. For now, it's s nice to have the fast option.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 AM   #128
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Thank you Marin!

The whole point of this thread was not to enter into a debate wether a SD boat was open ocean capable. Any reasonable person knows they are.

The point of this thread was to show that a SD hull with large enough engines can, contrary to popular belief have advantages over slower boats in the open ocean.

I will not take anything away from the true passagemakers. For their intended mission, crossing oceans, they are a great platform. In their domain they are the only dependable platform.

Take away the need to cross oceans and your options expand. A SD or planing boat is one of those options.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #129
FF
Guru

"Now a GB is a crappy open ocean boat because it's not designed to take with what the ocean CAN deal out. In the case of this trip, the Pacific lived up to its name."

There have been many sail circumnavigations that with planning and waiting for the right season , not more than 35K of wind was encountered.

This does nothing for the concept of the fast boat with big engines that MUST NOT be "caught out".
Old 07-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #130
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
In a post way, way, back, Don Moon said….

"We usually run fast between destinations. Then slow down for a few days to savor the area."

Now that concept I really like.

Hey, re this terminology thing…maybe we call our boats 'non-yachts'? :so cool:

Naaaaah...
Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #131
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Your boat cruises, it has a cabin. It's a cabin cruiser. You can certainly call it something more accurate if you like but it does NOT have trawl gear on board. So it's definitely NOT a trawler.

You can dick around with the language all you want but that doesn't make using a commercial fishing term to describe a recreational boat correct. It just makes it ignorant. It doesn't matter one iota what the cabin cruiser cost, it's not a fishing boat by any stretch of the imagination.

It's amazing to me how many apparently otherwise intelligent boaters get suckered in by this marketing BS. I guess it just goes to prove that you can always fool some of the people all of the time.
Marin, nice try. I didn't say my boat was a trawler, I said it wasn't a cabin cruiser. It's' amazing to me how an apparently otherwise intelligent person can become so obsessed over other peoples use of one word or in this case not even using the word.

You probably don't want to look at this link:

Wikipedia Recreational Trawler

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #132
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
KSanders, I'm sure your 47 foot boat is every bit as seaworthy as my 48 foot sporty, which I mentioned as being not good enough for me but plenty for most. Dont get me wrong, I really like the 88 series of bayliners, especially the 4788. I think they are a much better built boat than a lot of the supposedly "better built" boats made. I like big diesel engines, I own quite a few of them. I also like to go fast in a big boat, my sporty will turn 29 knots on the pins and at 25 it feels "right". With 1200 HP of DD iron it makes BigOilCo. smile at that speed. What I wont do is post on a trawler forum that any of its attributes makes it better than a trawler. Marin, I read that same "took the prop off for a long trip" story on the Sam's Hatteras forum. True or not, IDK. However, I promise you that in the middle of the Pacific Ocean I am not gonna change props unless its absolutely neccessary.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #133
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO what we call our boats doesn't matter. What matters to me is that so many people come here looking for information but with a preconception that they want a trawler without knowing what that is and what the features and benefits of various designs are. They rule out a lot of designs based on false assumptions many of which like rudders falling off sail boats in mid ocean being relevant to us are repeated here..
Old 07-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #134
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Not everybody wants to go slow
Not everybody wants to cross oceans............

This thread was started to point out that sometimes large engines and the ability to go faster than displacement speeds have an advantage. No more No less.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #135
Guru

I participate in a couple of fishing forums, offshore mostly. The type of boats most often talked about there are smallish (less than 35 feet) relatively fast center console boats. The biggest ongoing debate is catamaran vs v-hull. I have a 31 foot cat. Twin outboards. My least favorite fishing boat is a 31 Bertram. I have fished on lots of them and I just REALLY dont like them. However they have a cult following and several forums/website dedicated to just that boat. I would not be so bold as to post on any of them that my catamaran was better in any given situation or that outboards were better "this time". It being a Bertram 31 forum and all
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #136
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Going back to Kevin's original post about big engines and how it enabled him to cross a body of water more quickly...

This thread has touched on some of the tradeoffs - fuel consumption, fuel capacity, engine room crowding, maintenance, et cetera.

But here's one more factor - water capacity. The Bayliner 4778 has two water tanks forward - 140 and 60 gallons (figures differ, but this is the gist of it). If Bayliner installed a bow thruster at the factory they relocated the 60 gallon tank, but if they didn't then adding a thruster eliminates that tank and owners are down to 140 gallons (plus the 18 in the water heater, though since you can't drain it you can't count that).

I posted yesterday about the water shortage in the Gulf Islands, and my wife just mentioned that email again this morning which made me think to add it to this thread.

So...planing boat, big twin diesels, every cubic inch utilized (4788 owners do crazy stuff like relocate holding tanks to get enough room to install another small piece of equipment - like a much needed watermaker!), and a water capacity that is - at best - 200 gallons. For a 3 stateroom boat. OK, an owner can install a watermaker (performing significant surgery in the process) but I dunno, watermakers are finicky and it seems like the vast majority of watermakers are "out of service".

Notwithstanding the need / desire to be able to go fast to cross larger bodies, time a tide change, outrun the other boats to the anchorage, whatever...the accumulated tradeoffs of the planing style boat are - collectively - not my preference. I get that some folks want to run fast to get to the destination, but - again, for me - I like the "getting there" as much if not more than the "being there". I'm quite content to putter along at 7.5 knots, working with current charts to pick a route that give me an extra .5 knots, not being overly worried about hitting anything, keeping the noise / vibration / fuel consumption / et cetera to moderate levels, watching to world go by and - if it gets a little boring - heck, I can read a book and look up every couple of minutes.

Then again, here in the PNW the boating is interesting. The topography is stunning. There are lots of other vessels on the water. The tides and currents and other challenges are engaging. I see vessels making long straight runs in areas with flat horizons (like the Gulf of Mexico) and I suppose that might be tedious. But I actually enjoy the journey and if I were to run faster (clearly an impossibility with my boat!) that wouldn't significantly improve my overall enjoyment.

On the other hand, my wife would prefer a Star Trek transporter...
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #137
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
I do believe that there are hundreds of lost boats, and souls, off of the Graveyard Of The Pacific (Astoria) that wished that they had had more power/speed to safely get over the Columbia river bar and/or beat changing weather. Actually, you can find many of these wrecks, large and small, on sea charts.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #138
Guru

IIRC Bob Bitchin's take on a faster sailboat was the same. He said "I enjoy the journey, why would I want to shorten it ?"
Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #139
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Just remember...for every perception of reality posted here...someone can probably post where what is important to you can be altered by something...seamanship, machinery, equipment, philosophy, daring...etc...etc...

take a stand on most things posted here...someone will just post examples of why it is only half true.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #140

City: CA
Yep, Tiger Cruise..

Been on two of them. As long as your Sailor does not work in a classified space you can go to work with them every day as my wife and I did.
They sponsor a scavenger hunt that forces you to visit work spaces all over the ship. We crawled down to the rudder control room where a Sailor is on duty 24/7 in the event they cannot steer from the helm, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Some friends of mine just took advantage of a "Tiger Cruise"....where parents of seamen are allowed to go along for a cruise. I do not know the name of the Carrier they were on. But they cruised from Hawaii to the West coast. They had unfettered access to the bridge at all times.....except when they were going over 33 knots!!!! So they go at least 33 knots and anything over that is classified. They definitely move on out.

Closed Thread