Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Powercats
Get a bit of weather behind them and they surf very well on low hp

Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I would argue that the only time large engines are at a disadvantage is on passagemaker style boats where you are crossing oceans and need all the fuel range you can get.

For coastal cruising which is along any coastline almost anywhere in the world larger engines give you choices.

Choices you do not have with smaller engines.

www.mvlisasway.com
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #43
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
The only reminisce of the issue is that many w very fast boats w/o a hint of trawler in them have come out of the closet very slowly. GFC may be an example of that. His username was very common (to me) but I couldn't remember seeing his boat before. I've always liked him and now I like his boat too but there isn't a trawler bone in her that I can see.
Thanks. Coming from you that's clearly a compliment and I appreciate it. You're right that there isn't a trawler bone in Beachcomber.

On our rivers (Columbia and Snake) the dams are spaced far enough apart (up to 75 miles between dams) and entry times spaced close enough that (3 hours apart in the summer months) trawlers have a tough time if running upstream. Spring time currents here run 3-6kts and I've seen 9kts on the Snake below Ice Harbor Lock.

We've made those long runs upstream between the dams and that's one area where you really do appreciate having the horsepower to be able to make time against the current.

You guys with trawlers who aren't faced with specific times to pass through locks are lucky. For us who do face it, it just means burning more fuel than normal.

But, hey, I've never seen a casket with a luggage rack on top so I know you can't take it with you.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mike,
Thanks for the response and it was interesting about the river current. Always wondered about that. So I could run the river where the current was 3 knots or less. Food for thought but I'm not tak'in any long trips soon .. may get to QC Sound this year comming back in the fall.

How's the heat over there. No need to reply .. haha.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 07-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #45
Guru

Kevin I see no argument on this. It's a choice. I have a FD boat for good reasons and you have planing boat assumabily for equally good reasons. I flew an ultralight and my friend flew a Beach Banonza.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 AM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
If Kevin put trawl gear on his big Bayliner it doesn't matter what speed he goes, he's got a trawler.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If Kevin put trawl gear on his big Bayliner it doesn't matter what speed he goes, he's got a trawler.
That IS correct!

Most important part to the word (meaning) of "Trawler" is in the gear and its use.... not the particular boat's hull or superstructure design.

Not too unlike the word (meaning) "Ferry". If a boat consistently transports people or items from one specific point to another it becomes a ferry. Otherwise the same boat could be fitted with and use trawl gear and it would then be a trawler.

Of course nearly any boat could also be fitted with items for human creature comforts conducive to rest and recreation.... then IMO it should be called a "Pleasure Cruiser". Such as 99.33% of every boat on TF.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:35 AM   #48

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Everybody talks about boats that are tough enough to take it, but I never hear anyone say what a jolly hoot it is to ride in the boat while it's "taking it."
People do say it's a jolly hoot! The wetter, colder, the nastier the better for them. They are boating masochists. But if you want to find them, look on the sailboat forums.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
The wetter, colder, the nastier the better for them...they are boating masochists.... if you want to find them, look on the sailboat forums.
Or Facebook. A friend posted a selfie, taken while single handing his sailboat (had to be, he was taking a selfie ), in 40 knots+.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 AM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Mustang 3800
I have a Power Cruiser and are mainly on this forum for the great info and tips I get from it. And because most of you are a great bunch of guys compared to some other forums I have been on.

You can look at the weather and forecasts all you want but at times the inevitable can and will happened. I got caught in a 13' dingy when it was perfect weather and forecast and then suddenly changed as a squall went through. Only 20 minutes but I was in the middle of it and no one could of predicted it. It came from behind a hill so I didn't even see it coming until it hit.

Last month I was away in my cruiser but the forecast changed and got worse while away. No big deal in a 38' Cruiser but it was a slow uncomfortable ride back home at 6-8 knots, 35knt winds and 2.5m seas. I guess I could of come home 2 days earlier but hey, I was having too much fun
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #51
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
People do say it's a jolly hoot! The wetter, colder, the nastier the better for them. They are boating masochists. But if you want to find them, look on the sailboat forums.
Very true.

And I'll admit, if it's just me or some friends that can "take it" as some mention, then I'm ok with it if we're caught out. It actually tends to bring back some rather fond memories.

And IMHO, it's those times, and the challenges they bring, that remind you that you're alive. As Jimmy Buffet once noted, they give us "the stories we can tell."

That said, as a former Coastie, my overall thought is.
BTDT, I'll pass if possible.

And finally.
Big, small, fast or slow.
CC to yacht.
Single, twin, sail or oars.
If it has a hull and it floats, I like it!

We have a great community here

Thanks.

OD
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #52
Guru

City: gulf coast
Boats sink in marinas, hit something or lack of proper maintainance. Where were all these disasters and what caused them?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #53
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
We usually run fast between destinations. Then slow down for a few days to savor the area.

Then slow down to near trawler speeds for sometimes a couple of weeks at a time. We love towing the dinghy, anchoring, and exploring.

Looks like you're ready to pop someone with a left jab there mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #54
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
At $5/gal my boat is a trawler.
At $2/gal it's a fast cruiser.
At $10/gal it's a dock queen.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #55
Guru

Ski ..... Lot of truth in that.

biggusstickus,
Yup I've been try'in to sell that one for years but these guys still think they can outrun the weather. Kevin showed it can be done. But most of us know how often that happens. We spend 99% of our time in vehicles going 25 to 80mph so going 6 or 7 knots seems like there's something wrong or at best odd. Gotta be flexible.

Marin your copy sounds fishy to me.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #56
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Coastal cruising and working with the weather isn't rocket science.

At 6.3 knots, ths man knows his limitations.

At 15 knots a decent skipper has a quantum leap in options.

If someone doesn't think they can sidestep a bad line of thunderstorms...then they haven't had the weather reporting, boat or capability of doing it....it is sweet when you can.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Folks insinuate that outrunning bad weather is a uncommon thing, but in fact it is not. We outrun bad weather frequently. Not deadly bad weather, I'm a better captain than that, but uncomfortable weather, or better yet lets say unfavorable weather is easily avoided. For example we get a strong sea breeze in the late afternoon. This makes inbound docking much less fun. Going fast a bit to avoid that is an option.

Another advantage of large engines is the ability to smooth out the boats ride. In any kind of sea boats rock. It doesn't have to be a big sea at all to create significant rocking motion. Well, apply some power, and the boats stern pushes down in the water a bit. This greatly reduces the rocking motion.

Another use is getting across a wavy section of ocean quicker. At 8 knots my 35 mile crossing is 4 1/2 hours. At 15 knots the same crossing is 2 hrs 20 minutes.

Yet another use of power is actually getting somewhere by a certain time. I live four hours from the boat. After grocery shopping, etc, and prep time we are generally ready to leave the dock at around 4 pm. Our favorite cruising grounds are around 65 NM away, and dusk is at around 10 pm. Getting after it part of the way puts us setting anchor in time to take the dogs to shore for their last potty break during daylight hours.

So, while approx 75% of our engine hours are at displacement speeds, the 25% of the time we spend at a fast cruise sure comes in handy, for a variety of reasons.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #58
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Maybe trawler is more a personal choice than a style of boat. This is a true full displacement boat with a 9' draft, no one would mistake it for a trawler - Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436197232.272300.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	41773

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #59
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I was running from offshore coming in to Charleston, SC. Had left from Daytona Beach Fla. About 20 miles from Charleston, I could see a squall line both visually and on radar. Lots of lightning. Line was closing on me. As it got close, I found a gap on the radar and also noted no lightning in that area. Aimed for the gap and powered up to 23kts. Lots of chop, but since storm was moving fast, seas didn't build that high. Wind howling!! Within a few minutes, I was on the other side and clear of most lightning.

I was glad for the speed then!!

I don't like being in lightning.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #60
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
This is super hilarious. I have some friends that recently bought a trawler. I somewhat surprised me because they are "younger" and they were such hardcore sailboaters. I can still sense that guilt in them for being too comfortable on a powerboat. this is a text I sent to them!!!....:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4003.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	41774  

Closed Thread