Sometimes big engines are an advantage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've explained why I hold the position I hold, and it's been telling (to me) to see who has agreed and who has not. The responses from the various participants have been pretty much in line with what I expected them to be.
For crying out loud!!!!!!!! Can you just drop it!:horse:

Marin what it began as is not relevant now.

You're right.

So get in your trawler and go trawlering.
I would if I had a trawler, Eric. I want to replace the main outboard on our fishing boat and I could use the extra money. But it's my understanding that trawling is not a good way to fish up here so even if I had one it probably wouldn't do me much good.

A few times over the years when I've been working on our boat someone or a couple has wandered up the dock and stopped to ask me about our boat. They've said they were looking for a "trawler" like ours to buy.

I've told them that I was pretty sure there were no trawlers here but if they talked to the people working on their limit seiners over in the commercial basin they might get some information as to who to contact with regards to acquiring a trawler. I've also suggested that they might want to contact commercial vessel brokers in Louisiana or South Carolina because I know for a fact there are a ton of trawlers there.

They've always looked a little confused but much to my amazement they've dutifully walked off toward the commercial basin. I've no idea if any of them eventually got a trawler or not.

Attachments

• Donna-001.jpg
    Donna-001.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Did you really do that Marin?

That's funny ...... I think.

Did you really do that Marin?

That's funny ...... I think.

Absolutely. If someone wants to buy a trawler I will do my level best to steer them in the right direction.

Now if they were interested in buying a Grand Banks or similar type of boat, I'd have sent them to the GB dealer at the head of the dock. Their lead broker is a friend of ours-- he found our boat for us--- and he's an outstanding, honest, and very knowledgeable guy.

But these folks have been very specific about wanting to buy a trawler, so I pointed them in the direction of the fellows who I assume know about these kinds of boats or at least know where to find out more about them. Trawlers are part of their world, not mine, right?

Marin, I don't believe post #274. If you believed they wanted a real trawler, you would have asked them if their goal was to drag a net from the boat to catch fish. If the answer was no, you would have otherwise directed.

Marin, I don't believe post #274. If you believed they wanted a real trawler, you would have asked them if their goal was to drag a net from the boat to catch fish. If the answer was no, you would have otherwise directed.

Mark-- Of course I know what they're asking about. But if they don't know the right thing to ask for when they talk to me, I bet they do after they talk to the limit seiner guys, if they even actually do which I doubt. Nobody's that dumb, right? So they probably just wander off thinking I'm some kind of an as$hole and that's fine. I'm not going to promote something I just spent however many gazillion posts saying is wrong.

Plus it gets rid of them immediately which is actually my primary objective.:)

Last edited:
That's explains a lot! Not a people person on the Internet or real life.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436584757.202662.jpg

I'm a people person with people I deem worth being a people person with. There are even a couple on this forum.

If you want to continue this aspect of the thread you might want to switch over to Off Topic or OTDE.

Last edited:
I'm a people person with people I deem worth being a people person with. There are even a couple on this forum.

So, if any of this is true, you quickly conclude that people you've never seen before and who are looking for directions are unworthy of your attention if they can't be precise (by your definition of terms) . . . and you purposefully misdirect them, knowing what they're really looking for is a boat "like ours." Because, by God, you're right and the only one seeing things as they really are.

I've known people with rigidity of thinking like that before. Some of them get their kicks belittling others to reinforce their own self-worth. Sometimes they have diagnoses like "obsessive compulsive personality disorder with narcissistic tendencies."

Marin: For the first time I have to disagree with you, at least what you did. IMO this entire thread is focused on trying to reverse the false information spouted by so many. Every week I see one or two people come here looking for information on buying something they don't understand.
I for one have been trying to explain that they don't understand what they are asking for and will be misled by group think into limiting their choices before they even start.

Even the "definition" posted above perpetuates the false idea that "trawlers" are more economical.

If the folks here don't get it the newbies surely wont. I think I'll just take Rosanante back to LaMancha.

I've known people with rigidity of thinking like that before. Some of them get their kicks belittling others to reinforce their own self-worth. Sometimes they have diagnoses like "obsessive compulsive personality disorder with narcissistic tendencies."
Nailed it!:thumb:

As it turned out...we went boating kind of on a whim. It was a Tuesday or something. I had taken the linens home and there was only ONE towel on the boat. I told the young ladies not to worry about laying on the pads...oil up...do whatever you want. But they were still trying to be considerate so they tried to fit all of themselves onto one towel.....

What were we talking about again????

Now we are talking did someone say something about a engine??

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 103
Now if they were interested in buying a Grand Banks or similar type of boat, I'd have sent them to the GB dealer at the head of the dock. Their lead broker is a friend of ours-- he found our boat for us--- and he's an outstanding, honest, and very knowledgeable guy.
Now you're just being disingenuous. They stopped and talked to you because they were interested in a boat like yours. And if that broker is really a friend then you would have steered them to him.

What I'm not clear on is why you have posted over 12K messages in a trawler forum when you profess not to have - or want - or even know where to locate in the PNW - a trawler.

Last edited:
I believe that a trawler is a vessel rigged with trawl gear and that everything else is not a trawler.

And I believe that a horse is properly called....... a horse.

So, at some point in this 15 page thread it evolved from discussing "fact" to arguing your personal "beliefs".

...I've known people with rigidity of thinking like that before. Some of them get their kicks belittling others to reinforce their own self-worth. Sometimes they have diagnoses like "obsessive compulsive personality disorder with narcissistic tendencies."

This is so right on, and I too have suffered through knowing someone with extreme narcissistic behavior that feels the whole world is inferior to them. They will NEVER admit they are wrong, so it becomes futile to even converse with them about anything of substance. Think of them at a party ... They may attract attention in the beginning because they are so "knowledgeable", but eventually many see through that and wander away. That person goes through friends like dirty underwear because they are unable to add value to others lives. They suck the life out of you. It is sad and I speak from experience of having someone like that in a close friend circle. On to their next victim...

So how big of engines should a Recreational TRAWLER have? I know ... I am, just an idiot, unknowledgeable, lemming of the marketing and advertising that I am subjected to on a daily basis and too stupid to know it, that is interested in becoming an owner of a boat that can travel slowly (or maybe a little faster), which we can spend lots of time on and create incredible life memories, and see places we have never seen all from the comfort of a well found boat, that I call a TRAWLER, even though I will not be dragging a net. Ok I may even call it a Troller, since one of the definitions is searching for...trolling...etc and we are seeking new adventures and memories ... And I may call it a TRAWLER because I don't care what a narcissistic a$$hole who gets kicks out of jerking people around thinks of it or me. Or if I believe in his definition of the PNW, what the best floatplane is, or anything else to do with the NW, Canada, Seiners, Trawlers, Land Cruisers, .... Ok where do I stop ... Since he doesn't and knows everything about anything. Just ask him. You may not even need to...

Kevin
Portland, OR

What about Boeing? What kind of toilet paper do they use?

Trawl-paper?

It`s a tough thread when you need the DSM V handy while posting.
[Not a Site Team opinion]

Last edited:
Ted (OC Diver)--- I am well aware of the"definitions" of the term "trawler" as applied to recreational boats on Wikipedia and other places. This doesn't make this use of the term correct. It simply shows us where all those kids who flunked English in school ended up working.:)

Personally, I feel this issue of the description trawler is one of those cases where by common usage, something becomes slowly, over time, redefined, and a new meaning applied to something which differs from the original. I now accept this has happened with this boat term 'trawler', now firmly accepted as a non-planing, powered vessel, with enclosed accommodation. Hence not a cabin cruiser. Period. The Wikipedia description supports this view I think. I no longer feel the need to quibble - I'm over it. Trawler wins, sorry Marin.

John had good reasons for choosing the name that he did and I certainly don't fault him for them. Good marketing was as much in his interest as it was for the power cruiser manufacturers back in the early 70s.

You give me way too much credit!!!! I revel in blissful ignorance!!! It is my goal...my objective...my passion!!!!;) ;) ;) ;)

And you see what kind of boat I am driving!!!! I love it!! It is comfy....(relatively) fast...Cummins powered and did not break the bank!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom