Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #241
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,890
I troll fishing gear behind my boat. So does that make it a "troller"? Or a trawler?

Maybe some on the site, their boats could be called "trollers", but not because of how they fish!!
__________________
Advertisement

Ski in NC is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #242
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, you didn't bring up the topic. Just someone wasn't happy with just taking over one thread with his pet peeve, but decided to take this one over too.

Your initial point and happiness was right on target and we totally agree.
There's been allot of fairly heated moments of this thread.

From being told that my boat or any SD boat is not suitable for the open ocean to Marin's unhappiness about the incorrect use of the term "trawler", which he is entirely correct BTW, this one has brought out some passionate discussion.
__________________

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now  
Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #243
Guru
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
City: Oneida Lake, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Well when they included the word "irregardless" they lost me....

Please tell me they didn't.
__________________
Dave
Just be nice to each other, dammit.
Wayfarer is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #244
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Well when they included the word "irregardless" they lost me....
Me too.

According to the Urban Dictionary . . . .

Top Definition

irregardless

Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude ******* will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy"
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

by Dwayne Boyd August 12, 2005

I thought that last part was kind of funny
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #245
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
I think both halves of this thread-- the notion that boats like Kevin's have no place on open water and that recreational cruising boats are properly called "trawlers" -- are summed up best by comedian Ron White when he said, "You can't fix stupid."

I agree 100% but that doesn't mean that stupid should simply be accepted without comment or protest. In this country, anyway, ignorance is a constitutionally protected right and I, and I'm sure Kevin, have no interest in denying people that right. However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.

A person can believe a horse is a cow and they have every right to carry that belief to the grave. While this will not change the fact that a horse is a horse, it does, however, tell us something about the person who thinks it's a cow.

Speaking only for myself I believe that Kevin, who based on his posts over the years has had more experience boating in tricky and challenging waters than 95% of the people on this forum including me, made a very smart decision to use the capabilities of his boat to avoid what at the very least would have been a long and uncomfortable ride. I also believe that his boat would have been capable of handling that long and uncomfortable ride had he chosen that option, but he's obviously too smart to make that choice when he doesn't have to.

I believe that a trawler is a vessel rigged with trawl gear and that everything else is not a trawler.

And I believe that a horse is properly called....... a horse.

Have a nice day out there.
Marin is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #246
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.


Have a nice day out there.


Yup, but at times I feel like good ol' Don.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #247
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks to this forum; I know that I donít have the right anchor and am now trying to figure out how to add a second anchor.
Remember, "two wrongs don't make a right".
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #248
Guru
 
Scary's Avatar
 
City: Walnut Grove Ca
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 884
May I add

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
and to think little old me started this whole thing because I was happy that I could out run a patch of potentially rough water in our 4788.

Even if I had a FD boat I would not call it a trawler. People ask what kind of boat I have and I tell them its a three bedroom, two bath house on the water. They understand that.
Marketed as a Motor Yacht , by a company named US Marine that actually made the product in the US with US labor. Honesty in marketing? The fun of owning a boat for the most of us is the image and dreams those boats imply. The trips, the journeys, the adventures, family times really could care less what you call the boat.
So lets turn this a little, Does the image of your boat imply your boating credibility. If you have a tug or trawler are you a better boat handler than a a express cruiser. Perhaps we should call the forum the real boater forum and forget about trying to name boats.
Scary is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #249
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Marketed as a Motor Yacht , by a company named US Marine that actually made the product in the US with US labor. Honesty in marketing? The fun of owning a boat for the most of us is the image and dreams those boats imply. The trips, the journeys, the adventures, family times really could care less what you call the boat.
So lets turn this a little, Does the image of your boat imply your boating credibility. If you have a tug or trawler are you a better boat handler than a a express cruiser. Perhaps we should call the forum the real boater forum and forget about trying to name boats.
Oh Steve now we are in trouble.

Yes, people with saltier looking boats are better sea captains. Of course they are. When I become a better captain, I will graduate to a more salty looking boat myself.

I guess I screwed up! I didn't realize I was supposed to leave my Bayliner tied to the dock, and leave the real boating to people with reverse windshields.

I think I'll buy myself a pair of white pants and a captains hat now. I have to practice the lingo as well "alfred one martini, shaken not stirred please"

Na, cant do that... I'm gonna go kill some fish.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now  
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #250
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I think both halves of this thread-- the notion that boats like Kevin's have no place on open water and that recreational cruising boats are properly called "trawlers" -- are summed up best by comedian Ron White when he said, "You can't fix stupid."

I agree 100% but that doesn't mean that stupid should simply be accepted without comment or protest. In this country, anyway, ignorance is a constitutionally protected right and I, and I'm sure Kevin, have no interest in denying people that right. However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.

A person can believe a horse is a cow and they have every right to carry that belief to the grave. While this will not change the fact that a horse is a horse, it does, however, tell us something about the person who thinks it's a cow.

Speaking only for myself I believe that Kevin, who based on his posts over the years has had more experience boating in tricky and challenging waters than 95% of the people on this forum including me, made a very smart decision to use the capabilities of his boat to avoid what at the very least would have been a long and uncomfortable ride. I also believe that his boat would have been capable of handling that long and uncomfortable ride had he chosen that option, but he's obviously too smart to make that choice when he doesn't have to.

I believe that a trawler is a vessel rigged with trawl gear and that everything else is not a trawler.

And I believe that a horse is properly called....... a horse.

Have a nice day out there.
Thankfully we live in a democracy. The majority don't have a problem with it. The term trawler is acceptable. Get over it. You may feel I'm stupid for taking this position, but consider this: Einstein would tell that beating this same dead horse over and over again expecting a different outcome, is the definition of insanity.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #251
Guru
 
Scary's Avatar
 
City: Walnut Grove Ca
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 884
Oh so that means you have a fishing boat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Oh Steve now we are in trouble.

Yes, people with saltier looking boats are better sea captains. Of course they are. When I become a better captain, I will graduate to a more salty looking boat myself.

I guess I screwed up! I didn't realize I was supposed to leave my Bayliner tied to the dock, and leave the real boating to people with reverse windshields.

I think I'll buy myself a pair of white pants and a captains hat now. I have to practice the ling as well "alfred one martini, shaken not stirred please"

Na, cant do that... I'm gonna go kill some fish.
There you go!
Scary is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #252
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Thankfully we live in a democracy.

Not if you live in the USA. It is a representative republic.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #253
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
The term trawler is acceptable.
You can't fix.... oh look, there goes the point.

As to Scary's question does the image of one's boat project an implication of that person's boating credibility my response is absolutely..... 90% of the time.

However.... it projects an implcation of their boating credibility only in the interpretation of that image by the person doing the judging.

I see a lot of production boats for which my immediate reaction is, "No way in hell would I even get on a boat being driven by the kind of person who would buy that thing." That's my reaction, but it may not be Joe Blow's reaction standing next to me on the dock watching the same boat.

Si I absolutely believe the image/type of boat a boater has announces very loudly that person's boating credibility, but "image" and "credibility" are totally subjective things.
Marin is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #254
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,922
I own a trawler...based on general consensus of 50 years on the water and what I know.


Anyone but a handful want to challenge my credentials for calling it one?


We will let the members decide where "stupid" is most applicable.


I would have left this thread alone if it was just a debate without inferring some of us are ignorant, stupid, etc..etc.


so I am back in full force....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	41948  
psneeld is online now  
Old 07-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #255
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Sometimes big engines are an advantage

I'm probably stupid, but I have a lot to learn. So that's my excuse.

If you have a problem with me calling something a trawler, here are the appropriate steps to take to insure I don't change a a thing.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436561337.246085.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  193.9 KB


Now how do I join that bozo club?!
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now  
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #256
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,890
Lots of boats here can be well described as trawlers.

One other's boat is a "troller"

Trying to apply strict rules to nautical terms, especially as they have evolved... is silly.

How can you call that thing a "gunwale" when there are no guns??? etc etc.

It's well understood in the boating community what a "trawler" could be. That is what matters.
Ski in NC is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #257
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I own a trawler...based on general consensus of 50 years on the water and what I know. Anyone but a handful want to challenge my credentials for calling it one?
Absolutely. When you're wrong you're wrong and all your protestations and parading your vast experience on the water doesn't make you right. It just makes you a very experienced boater who, in this particular instance, is wrong. Two plus two does not equal five no matter how much you believe it does.

I don't expect you to change your incorrect belief. I'm just telling you that it's incorrect. If you choose to continue to cling to an inaccuracy, that's a reflection on you, not on me or anyone else.

Good luck.
Marin is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #258
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
George Buehler's original Coot 35 design had significant topside/interior differences from Seahorse Marine's production. (Hull and engine compartment were the same.) The original design consisted of a shorter forward cabin containing V-berths, a longer raised pilothouse containing helm and dinette, a shorter rear compartment containing kitchen and head, and a longer rear cockpit. The longer cockpit provided for a second helm, a transom door, and room for hoist. Thus, it was highly suitable as a crabber and a troller. So, perhaps it could have been described as a (recreational) crabber/troller.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #259
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Mark-- Do you know if anyone bought the boat specifically to use as a crab boat or troller? Just curious.
Marin is offline  
Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #260
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Marin, I'm not aware whether any Coots were built to the original design.
__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012