Old 03-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Very cool!!! I hope it serves you well and continues to do so!!!

Back on topic....I think the installation of my inverter has negated that 1/2/both/OFF switch. It is still there. But it does not serve that purpose anymore. I think it is BOTH or OFF now. The guy that installed it said that was the best way to do it since you don't want to have just two batteries powering that inverter and all of the house loads that are depending on it. I know in theory we would want to isolate some batteries. IN reality, I have never used that switch to do so. So I agreed to do it....tying all batteries together as one bank.. Another suggestion was to add the generator battery to it since it is an equal battery and it is right next to the others and then add a smaller generator start battery....maybe in front of the starboard engine where that space is that is unused(and hard to get to). Maybe an Optima group 24 or something like it.

I will venture an opinion based on experience.... If your electronics are "blinking" when you hit the start switch, your batteries are near death. That has always been my experience with current and past boats. My current batteries are already 3 years old. They haven't missed a beat and I hope they don't for at least another 3 years. But the inverter is going to add some stress to them so we shall see.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
Guru

John, regardless of how he wired you're battery switch the feeder post shown in my diagram has to get DC power. So like the helm CB and Salon CB (which receive DC power from the feeder post) have him add another circuit with a CB right next or in close proximity to the helm and salon CB and have it power all your music radio equip. This new circuit will receive power from the feeder post and power will be removed or restored with the battery switch, just like the salon and helm circuits. With that setup your electronics and all other helm electrics will be on the existing helm CB and the new music radio will be on a separate circuit. (I'm assuming the music radio was the cause of the helm CB popping).

If the music radio and accompanying amp are located on the helm you or he will have to fish an appropriately sized wire up the chase from the battery panel where the new CB is located to the helm.

You will probably get some comments as to the risk of tying all your house and engine start batteries together. Personally I've never had a battery failure that would have stranded me if my boat was wired that way. But I would keep the generator start battery separate. It need not be as large as the house batts.

One caution if you do tie all your batts together. Be careful how many amps you use while anchoring and don't go below 50% SOC. Another caution, if one of your batts in your one bank setup goes bad it could sap amps from the remaining batts. You would never know because your battery monitor would not measure this amperage loss.

I carry a good pair of jumper cables. I had to use it once when the gen start battery failed. It seems when an AGM battery fails, it fails completely with little warning.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I don't think it was necessarily the sound system that caused the failure. It likely didn't help. I think it was just age and maybe the stress of the sound system. It never popped. The post on the breaker simply fell off....it came apart. It did not show signs of burning or overloading, it just failed...structurally. I replaced it with a bigger breaker... As you probably know, this supplies power to another sub panel on the bridge that has properly sized breakers to protect each appliance/accessory.

And yes, my generator start battery will be isolated. That is the redundancy. To be honest, every single boat in my signature has been wired this way and it has worked well for me. I do know the risk. I have been stranded once by this and it was in the Mainship...which had no generator. And it was due to my neglect/denial that the batteries were toast. You don't want to know how that boat was sired. Those batteries didn't stand a chance....2 GRP27s....FOR THE ENTIRE BOAT!!!!....Bow thruster/windlass/house/start. They did amazingly well all things considered!!!! I had a similar sound system on that boat....

Anyway, I try to keep it simple. And I am honest with myself. I rarely hang out on anchor without a power source(ie generator). It is either hot or cold here....not much in between. With that said, this new inverter install will encourage me to use the generator less. I just had my first full weekend with it and did not start the generator once(and never got below 85% SOC).. It was kinda nice!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet;
When we bought the boat in 2010 I came up with several names and let my wife choose which one she wanted. Thus Flyin Low.
This isn't you, is it?
I am away but will see if it is still there when I get back and check it out if you like. Maybe sneak down and edit it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	50236  

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote